4k / UHD with Yosemite

bob321654984

5 posts in this topic

I have a Samsung 4k monitor hooked up to an Nvidia Geforce 760 in my Hackintosh via DisplayPort.

If I leave the settings on 'Best for display', for some reason it goes into 1080p mode.

If I put it in 3840x2160 resolution manually (which, for some reason I can only do using the screenresx third party app, the resolution isn't listed in the normal display settings), everything is absolutely tiny (buttons, menus etc).

I had thought (and have seen screenshots) that there would be the ability to change the scaling of all the items within Yosemite, but the only way I can make everything readable (and even clickable without pico-adjustments of the mouse!) is by downgrading the resolution, which seems a bit pointless.

Has anyone got 4k working as I was expecting, or have any suggestions that I could try to get this functionality somehow?

I have same monitor and video card, using it scaled to 2560x1440. Everything is normal size, 28 inch monitor is too small to use at full 3840x2160 resolution without scaling.

Set you resolution to 2560x1440 and on monitor go to Menu > Information, if it shows 3840x2160 then you're all good, it just scales everything so it's readable and taking advantage of 4k.

• Like 1

Ah ok, that kind of makes sense, I think... I was hoping / expecting to have the resolution set to 3840x2160 and some kind of 'make things bigger' option - I feel like I haven't got the resolution set to the correct native so there will be an element of pixilation, am I wrong though?

If on your monitor information menu it shows 3840x2160 (Can also check it in About this mac > Displays), then your resolution is set to native. The resolutions in Display preferences are kind of "make things bigger", it still outputs it at 3840x2160. I guess because it's a hackintosh we don't get a nice layout that apple users get, instead we just see numbers:

post-820007-0-24173300-1408572335_thumb.png

• Like 1