Ready to give up on Sony Vaio VPCEG16FM

Scott69

55 posts in this topic

That's disappointing.

A quick google search revealed that some other Sony Vaio users have the same issue and haven't been able to resolve it. (check this for example: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286413-iatkos-osx-on-sony-vaio-stuck-at-usbmsc-identifer/).

I'm outta ideas now. Sorry :(

Maybe RehabMan might have a suggestion!!

PS. One last thing: Boot again and when it hangs, remove the flash drive and plug it into another port (while the OS is trying to boot - don't reboot or touch anything else).

Try plugging an HDMI monitor into the HDMI port.

You could also try injecting EDID. Assuming it is a graphics problem, which I'm not convinced...

A little bit hard to say without knowing exactly which stage of the install you're at (is this booting the USB?). And if bootng the USB, exactly how you created it, which Clover drivers are present, and which kexts are present in Clover/kexts.

Try plugging an HDMI monitor into the HDMI port.

You could also try injecting EDID. Assuming it is a graphics problem, which I'm not convinced...

A little bit hard to say without knowing exactly which stage of the install you're at (is this booting the USB?). And if bootng the USB, exactly how you created it, which Clover drivers are present, and which kexts are present in Clover/kexts.

I plugged in an HDMI monitor and there was no display output, it stayed on the LCD.

I am simply trying to boot a USB installer.  I have tried DVD installers in the past and had the same issue.

I created this installer exactly how Dr Hurt detailed in post #2.

Please find attached the listings of the drivers64 and drivers64UEFI directories as well as the 10.9 kexts directory.

drivers64UEFI.txtdrivers64.txtkexts.txt

I plugged in an HDMI monitor and there was no display output, it stayed on the LCD.

I am simply trying to boot a USB installer.  I have tried DVD installers in the past and had the same issue.

I created this installer exactly how Dr Hurt detailed in post #2.

Please find attached the listings of the drivers64 and drivers64UEFI directories as well as the 10.9 kexts directory.

attachicon.gifdrivers64UEFI.txtattachicon.gifdrivers64.txtattachicon.gifkexts.txt

If you are booting this stick in UEFI mode, you need HFSPlus.efi in drivers64UEFI. VBoxHfs-64.efi cannot boot a USB created with 'createinstallmedia'.

If you are booting this stick in UEFI mode, you need HFSPlus.efi in drivers64UEFI. VBoxHfs-64.efi cannot boot a USB created with 'createinstallmedia'.

I will try to add this file. However, the Vaio does not have UEFI, just a standard text BIOS.

I added the file and it made no difference to the boot results.

HD3000 really doesn´t need anything more to work.

Don´t forget to set "graphicsenabler" to "yes" in chameleon's config plist.

And doesn´t use a DSDT this time, check if there is any in /Extra and remove it, except if it a MIXED config. In this case, folow the RehabMan hint.

Graphics resolution: 1366x768.

Processor Core i5 2nd gen.

Graphics Processor: Intel HD3000...

https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/VPCEG16FMB_mksp.pdf

Followed these ideas, and again, hangs at USBMSC Identifier line.

I added the file and it made no difference to the boot results.

Followed these ideas, and again, hangs at USBMSC Identifier line.

Remove VBoxHfs.efi just to make sure it is not being used.

If you haven't already, try different USB sticks, different USB ports.

Regarding this issues, maybe the key to the problem lies in the mixed configuration, maybe other things. First of all, check your laptop's motherboard using CPU-Z whether you are running on a 6 or 7 series mobo, then we will have an idea. Some laptops need VoodooTSCSync.kext to boot properly ( like the Razer Blade or Lenovo S400, both SB - HD3000 on 7 series mobo and IB - HD4000 on 6 series mobo ), just change the IOCPUID to match your CPU ( for example, 5 for an i5 and 7 for an i7 CPU )

Vusun123,

This laptop is not a mixed config, when running lspci in Linux, all the relevant lines give "Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family" in the description.  And I have determined that it using am HM65 chipset.

So I expect that this is straight HD3000/6-series configuation.

Not sure this helps get any new ideas, as this type of configuration is supposedly well supported.

Did you try chameleon yosemite boot stick?

Yes, built according to the instructions you provided in an earlier post.  All of my responses to you have been based on following your methodology.  I have two separate USB sticks for each of the two paths I have been recommended (yours and Dr. Hurt's)

As well, from the specs of your Vaio, it seems that they are a generation apart with different CPUs and chipsets.  Probably why yours boots and mine doesn't.

Yes, built according to the instructions you provided in an earlier post.  All of my responses to you have been based on following your methodology.  I have two separate USB sticks for each of the two paths I have been recommended (yours and Dr. Hurt's)

As well, from the specs of your Vaio, it seems that they are a generation apart with different CPUs and chipsets.  Probably why yours boots and mine doesn't.

Show photo of verbose boot using Chameleon:

dart=0 -v

Note: You must be patient when booting the installer. It is not quick.

• Like 1

Show photo of verbose boot using Chameleon:dart=0 -vNote: You must be patient when booting the installer. It is not quick.

I booted as directed and attached is the result.

when i hang in that part i get still waiting for root device.

did you ever get to the point where gets dsmos has arrived?

I don't believe so. You can look at the attached pictures, but I didn't see it. Some of the other boot attempts have much more text that scrolls by and I might not have seen it.

post-539502-0-02357000-1408754533_thumb.jpg

I booted as directed and attached is the result.

I don't believe so. You can look at the attached pictures, but I didn't see it. Some of the other boot attempts have much more text that scrolls by and I might not have seen it.

Your mach_kernel is incorrect for the version of OS X you have...

Time to rebuild your USB.

Your mach_kernel is incorrect for the version of OS X you have...Time to rebuild your USB.

If you have a specific method of rebuilding my USB I would be happy to follow it. I followed Dr Hurts directions for building the Mavericks version I have with Clover, and I followed Rodrigchunas directions to build the Yosemite version with Chameleon.

I'm sure if you have a method in mind that would mean that you have control over the content when I boot, it would make sense.

Ideas?

I have a rather extreme suggestion for you if you're willing to go that far.

Take the HDD out of the laptop and use the other machine to install (or restore an existing) OS X to a partition, then put it back into your Vaio.

That way we boot using the well supported regular 6-series AHCI SATA protocol instead of USB.

I have a rather extreme suggestion for you if you're willing to go that far.

Take the HDD out of the laptop and use the other machine to install (or restore an existing) OS X to a partition, then put it back into your Vaio.

That way we boot using the well supported regular 6-series AHCI SATA protocol instead of USB.

I assume I should install a bootloader to this HDD after I install?

I assume I should install a bootloader to this HDD after I install?

Not necessarily. Clover will start from the USB, and detect OS X you restored to the drive.

Not necessarily. Clover will start from the USB, and detect OS X you restored to the drive.

Dr hurt,

I made an install of iAtkos ML2 to a new SATA drive. I installed it with the specific screen size option as well as the Intel HD3000 option selected.

Attached is the result.

post-539502-0-30868700-1408886241_thumb.jpg