How do I install a second version of OSX on my Hackintosh?

PB_863

11 posts in this topic

Noob here :unsure: ,

Recently, I finally managed to install Mountain Lion (10.8) on my Hackintosh using a MyHack 3.3 installation guide and tools.  The MyHack site, which used to be located at myhack.sojugarden.com, is dead, so I had to get everything I needed from the WayBack Machine (one 2012 copy of the archived site can be found here: http://web.archive.org/web/20120624005309/http://myhack.sojugarden.com).

What I didn't know until later was that Mountain Lion no longer provides Rosetta, the PPC app emulator, which I wish to use on occasion.  So now I also need to install Snow Leopard (10.6), which includes Rosetta.  I want to install SL on a different partition on my main GPT hard drive.

But how do I do that?

All of the Snow Leopard Hackintosh install guides assume you're installing it from scratch on an empty disk and includes things such as installing a boot loader.  But if I understand correctly (and I certainly may not!), that could easily screw up my main Mountain Lion installation.

When I boot up Mountain Lion, the top of the boot screen reads: "Darwin/x86 Boot v5.0.132 | Chameleon svn2266 | MyHack 3.3".  I tried installing the latest version of Chameleon, but afterwards it would no longer boot from the hard drive (something to do with MyHack??), so I used Carbon Copy Cloner to restore a cloned backup and now it's booting again.

What would I have to do differently if I want to install Snow Leopard on it's own partition without causing Mountain Lion boot problems?

Thanks for your help, folks!

Hello

Make this:

In ML 10.8 use disk utility, and select your HDD and go to Partition tab

In this tab you goona see all your partitions... below partitions have a math signal "+" Press + and create another partition...

Give a name to this partition created and after that you just need install Snow Lepard retail in this new partition created ;)

After that installed SL, install chameleon in sl and configure it... after... go to ml instalation and re-install chameleon and configure... you can use myhack tools to make this in SL and in ML ;)

• Like 1

My endless thanks to you, Master PimentelX86, for your very helpful reply!

I knew how to create a new partition, but your advice as to what to do about the bootloaders is priceless.

Please enjoy a virtual pint or three on me!  :wink_anim:

Hello

Make this:

In ML 10.8 use disk utility, and select your HDD and go to Partition tab

In this tab you goona see all your partitions... below partitions have a math signal "+" Press + and create another partition...

Give a name to this partition created and after that you just need install Snow Lepard retail in this new partition created ;)

After that installed SL, install chameleon in sl and configure it... after... go to ml instalation and re-install chameleon and configure... you can use myhack tools to make this in SL and in ML ;)

Hey, big thanks, PimentelX86, for following through with me!! :yes:   Is this a great board, or what? :thumbsup_anim:

I'm so glad you asked, because I've got a very puzzling problem with MyHack this time.  When I ran MyHack 3.3 to create the bootable USB install disk for ML, it worked perfectly.  After it completed the ML USB prep, when I looked at the contents of the USB drive, there were plenty of files visible, and the installation went smoothly.

But when I ran MyHack to create a bootable USB install disk for Snow Leopard, it only appears to run OK.  There are no error messages produced during the MyHack run, and it took more than an hour to transfer something to the USB drive, but after it finished and I looked at the USB drive, there were zero visible files!  Not only that, I couldn't boot from it, either.

The most baffling aspect of all is the weird fact that while creating the SL install, MyHack never prompted me for the location of the Snow Leopard install image.  At the point I expected this prompt, instead it always reports:

Looking for OS X 10.6 Installation Volume...
OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Install DVD found.

What's so weird about that? Well, it says that even when there's no such thing anywhere on any of my partitions or DVD drives (even after I explicitly deleted it)! :shock:  And there's not even the tiniest detectable pause before the second line (DVD found) appears. Since it's acting kinda delusional about that part, it's no real surprise that the USB drive ends up with no files on it...

I'm going to investigate the archived MyHack site yet again to see what I might have done wrong or how to fix the problem, but do you mind if I ask another noob question?  Since MyHack doesn't seem to work right for installing Snow Leopard (at least so far), can you recommend a different method for me?  One that installs on a GPT partition with a non-UEFI BIOS (and does NOT use any TonyMacx86 or other justifiably banned stuff)?

Thanks again!

Hallo

Thanks for this! ;)

If you need help i'm in here for help...

So... Let me know how your system is? It's booting right? Than ML as SL?

Hello

My opinion: My hack 3.x version is new, the versions that works with SL was 1.x

SL is old too… my advice is use Lion 10.7.5 the newest…

But if you want really use SL, i gave to you a solution to install SL 10.6.3
I hope it help…

After installed OSX SL, try use my hack, to make post-installation on it

• Like 1

Dear Mentor PimentelX86,

I've successfully installed Snow Leopard (though I'll still need to ask for additional help)!

For whatever reason, the most recent USB wouldn't boot. It was so cool that it offered to boot using either Clover or Chameleon. But when I tried Clover it ended up in a loop complaining that it was still waiting for the root disk (or was it boot disk?), and when I tried Chameleon it reported some "bug" messages and just stalled.

Since there's no way I'm ever going to pester you for everything, I searched around for alternatives. Eventually I found -- on this very site -- a boot CD that worked perfectly and allowed me to install SL without a hitch.  It's called the Regae boot CD, and the guide for using it is here: [GUIDE] Lion Retail & Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3.  My Hackintosh is based on an ASUS mobo (not the same one), so it looked viable -- and it worked!

But with somewhat mixed success. The good news is that my main Mountain Lion partition still boots exactly the same as before, so obviously the boot loader on that partition wasn't interfered with.  The less good news is that that Chameleon/MyHack boot loader on the ML partition won't boot Snow Leopard, and so the only way to boot into SL is to use the Regae boot CD.

However, earlier you offered the sage advice to:

After that installed SL, install chameleon in sl and configure it... after... go to ml instalation and re-install chameleon and configure...

I'm going to do that now, but note that the last time I tried installing Chameleon on top of my MyHack ML partition, I could no longer boot from the hard disk.  I probably did something wrong during the Chameleon re-install, so I'll be more careful this time.

The last problem I'll mention here is that, although when I boot into ML the display is crystal clear, when I boot from SL the screen is almost illegible because of all the "snow" covering the screen.  Do you have any advice as to how to apply whatever it is from ML that produces a clean screen and carry it over to SL?  Is it some kext, or SMBIOS, or what?

Thanks again, my wise friend!

Hello, again, sir!

Well, I searched and found a version of Chameleon (downloaded from HackintoshOSX.com at Chameleon 2.2 svn r2327) that specifically claimed to support both Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion.  After installing it in ML, nothing would boot anymore off the hard drive, exactly as happened the last time I tried installing Chameleon.  I booted from the regae Boot CD and ran it on SL as well, but that doesn't boot from the hard drive either. When I try, I get the following messages:

boot0:GPT

boot0:error

In your previous message, you said that SL is old, but that's irrelevant since I definitely need Snow Leopard, since that's the last version that included Rosetta.  That's one of the two primary reasons I wanted a Hackintosh in the first place (the second is to try to develop an OSX version of a small app I've already developed for Windows).

So, what can you tell me about Hackintosh bootloaders?  Where is it (or they?) written on a GPT-formatted hard drive?  I'm meticulous about making clone backups (using Carbon Copy Cloner) every time I make any non-trivial changes, but this is the very first time that even after a full CCC restore of my main ML partition, it still won't boot from the hard drive.  How can I restore the previous boot loader or install a new one that actually boots?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I tried installing three other versions of Chameleon, but they all produced the exact same "boot0:GPT/boot0:error" messages as before.  I also tried replacing the file named 'boot' in the root of the ML boot disk with an old backup, but that didn't make any difference (apparently there are other files or hidden data involved).  I've been searching for detailed info on exactly what files are related to a bootloader and where they are stored, but so far I've found nothing that actually provides those details!

There's supposed to be some good documentation at Topic: Documentation for Chameleon 2.0 RC, but apparently only members can read it.  I tried registering, but I still haven't received any registration email (a too-common problem I've had with some hackintosh sites!)

I have no idea what to try next!