600,000 Iraqis Dead

8 posts in this topic

speedbump? not sure how a speedbump would define this, but i don't think it's going to do much about bush's plans for the war.

i think this only shows the insability of this country, that even the citizens of the same country can't live with eachother. not that i think our occupation will help the situation any (probably make it worse). wehn we finally do pull out of iraq, i can only think that there will be a revolt by these extremists, and the govt. that we helped to put in power will be overthrown.

speedbump? not sure how a speedbump would define this, but i don't think it's going to do much about bush's plans for the war.

By speedbump, I just meant a small obstacle that is necessary to overcome to End the War, and at the same time, it isn't as serious as it sounded.

i think this only shows the insability of this country, that even the citizens of the same country can't live with eachother. not that i think our occupation will help the situation any (probably make it worse). wehn we finally do pull out of iraq, i can only think that there will be a revolt by these extremists, and the govt. that we helped to put in power will be overthrown.

The time we choose to leave Iraq will be a very careful time indeed. If we aren't careful, and don't take very specific steps towards creating a stable Iraq, we could very easily leave Iraq a collapsed state ruled by mobs. However, if we spend enough time there creating a strong infrastructure, with fair representative leadership, then I can foresee some sort of victory. That is, as long as Iraq can continue to support itself both politically and economically.

for those who will inevitably quibble over numbers...

if it were only the official 30,000 dead, it would be no less horrific. 30,000 deaths much touch the lives of a significant percentage of the population. it's the survivors who suffer.

even taking the lowest estimate of deaths (i think it was in the 300,000 range), how long will it take for our policies

to kill more Iraqis than Hussein?

can't wait for November.

for those who will inevitably quibble over numbers...

if it were only the official 30,000 dead, it would be no less horrific. 30,000 deaths much touch the lives of a significant percentage of the population. it's the survivors who suffer.

even taking the lowest estimate of deaths (i think it was in the 300,000 range), how long will it take for our policies

to kill more Iraqis than Hussein?

can't wait for November.

Haha, me too. However, at what point are the lives worth it? I mean, 680,000 Americans were killed during the Civil War, all to keep the Country Together, and weren't those lives worth it? Ideals like Democracy and Unity are so strong, that their values are virtually priceless, and to try to place prices, even in lives, upon them is pointless. Only the end product, if ever created, of an independent and Democratic Iraq will justify the costs of our endeavour.

Then, and only then, can we truly measure cost versus benefit of the Iraq war.

• 3 weeks later...

Last Thursday I went and saw an installation at Melbourne's Meat Market gallery. The installation was run by a Birmingham production company that had decided they would tour the world with their "representation of people and numbers with real objects" idea; they have a big room where they lay down sheets of paper and put grains of rice on them to symbolise people. Each piece of paper is a different statistic. The biggest pile was the population of the People's Republic of China, the smallest was Condoleeza Rice, great joke, etc, etc, but that doesn't matter. What mattered were the modern war statistics.

The collective rice from the 'confirmed casualties' statistic of every 'terrorist' attack aimed at Western powers wouldn't have made even a splash in the mounds of rice representing the deaths resulting from the "War of Terrrrr" as I believe its creator terms it.