GenericUSBXHCI and DP4

Taruga

5 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

-- EDIT --

I decided to re-spin this post in to a full-on diary entry on my blog, complete with much more extensive benchmark numbers.

-----------

This was the key to getting USB 3.0 working on my 17" MBP. I picked up a Windows ExpressCard to add USB 3.0 but couldn't get it working until this. Running Yosemite hasn't helped my cause, though I quite like it otherwise.

Benchmarks

• Host SSD to USB 2.0 attached external drive: 20MB/s
  • Host SSD to USB 3.0 attached external drive: 36MB/s

• USB 2.0 attached ext drive as USB attached drive in VMware (copying from AND to the usb drive): 6.48MB/s
  • USB 3.0 attached ext drive as raw disk in VMware (copying from AND to the usb drive): 16MB/s

• USB 2.0 attached USB Flash Drive: 4.8MB/s
  • USB 3.0 attached USB Flash Drive: 5.6MB/s

Testing Methodology

I test using the time command while running a copy of decently large files (min 300MB, max 2000MB). All of my tests are writing TO the attached storage mediums.

My USB 3.0 hard drive is a little 2.5" USB 3.0 Seagate drive (STBX2000401). I'm running OSX 10.10 Yosemite Beta 2 on my 17" MBP (MacBookPro8,3)

My USB Flash Drive is a Patriot Tab USB 3.0 drive (PSF8GTAB3USB)

My ExpressCard is a GMYLE USB 3.0 BC628. I think I got it from eBay. It was like $10, probably less. 

My internal drive is actually stripe-RAIDed Kingston SSDs. So no bottleneck there I think.

Other comments

I was worried that the PC card would mess up my power management while suspended, but I just had it inserted while the machine was suspended for several hours and it looks like my battery was not noticeably impacted and the card worked both before and after the suspend. :)

Reaction

Eff-yeah! I hope I can find a way to get the system to notice the Express Card if inserted after boot. But that's not a USB 3.0 matter.

PS - I'm shocked that my USB 3.0 flash drive only performed 16% faster. At least it was still faster, but wtf? Hopefully it's just a {censored} drive, it was inexpensive.

• Like 1