2 Different Generation Video Cards, Run 1 Per OS?

thechickenmoo

4 posts in this topic

So essentially, after many years I finally got enough new parts to build a new PC with a Quad Core CPU. I previously had a Core 2 Duo w/ a MSI 975x Platinum Power-Up Edition Board that I had successfully installed 10.4, 10.5,10.6, and 10.8. While using another hard drive to run windows.

Now I have:

ASUS Sabertooth P67 (rev 3.1)

Core i5 3570k

AMD Radeon HD 6970

I've come to learn that the Radeon HD 6790 is essentially not compatible with any Mac OS, which I can learn to live with. I was at least able to install a distro of Mavericks and boot into safe mode for now. 

My random thought was this.. I have an older Radeon HD 4670 now laying around without a home. Could I put both in the PC and then just disable the card depending on the OS? IE. Use the newer card in windows 8 or Windows 7 on the one hard drive, and then run Mac OS and have it disable the newer incompatible card?

I tried plugging it in for kicks and giggles and was at least still able to boot in safe mode, but I don't see an easy way of disabling the problematic card short of removing it every time i want to use Mac Os which doesn't really sound great long term. 

Any thoughts or suggestions? I plan on getting rid of the distro and installing as vanilla as possible again If i can find some sort of solution for the graphics card.

The only posts I found for disabling a graphics chip were from mac pro owners with the lemon units.

Please forgive me if I'm not reading those posts right, but I don't think they answer my question in any way. I've already done vanilla setups in the past on the other board, and that's not really my issue. There is NO support for the Radeo HD 6900 series in MAC OS, this is my attempt at a work around using an older card.