InsanelyMac Forum
Applesaucer

How to boot my Hackintosh as a PC

Lo you all..  I'm a newbie to this site but could really use some help.  My specs are below.  I've been using this Hackint0sh for about 5 years (I did not build it) and it has been pretty much faultless; runs like a Mac (I've been running Macs since Mac Plus days, whew).  Anyway, this has been fine and I've never needed to startup as a PC until now. However, I may need to run some PC type applications-- but have forgotten how to start this up as a PC.  Anyone have an idea how to do that? 

I don't know how to code or use command-line.  

Leopard 10.5.8

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

intel P45 express chipset

NVIDIA graphics card i.d. 0x0641

Antec enclosure

Darwin x86 bootv5.0.132

Chameleon V1.0.12

VesaV.3

Any help appreciated.

Advertisement

Hello!

The best way to run Win on the same machine and install it, is to install it on an other hdd. Disconnect your OSX hdd, while you install win. After finished installation you can reconnect your OSX hdd and select your bootdisk in bios or make Chameleon to recognize your Win7 hdd, so that you can boot Win7. For this are guides here. Just use the forum search.

Have fun.

thanks Styrian for good plan.  I see you're a major post here and I appreciate the expert help.  For the short term, though,  i'd just like to boot it in XP which is installed on it --mainly so a geeky pal can check out some specs on it.  Tryna figure out what's with the BIOS as it crashes badly on certain applications, esp. Adobe CS5 (mac vers.)  Later will put in a dedicated hdd.  When the builder sold the unit to me he told me the key combo at startup to prompt it to start in XP instead of Mac OS, but I ( duh) forgot it.  Any ideas?  

Hello!

It is for me a long ago, that I needed that to do, but not quite often. If I remember it correct, there shows up at boot this message: "Press any Key to enter Startup Options". If you press a key (e.g. "space"), then should show up a menu with partions. Now you can select a partion by pressing "arrow up or down keys" to change the selection and pressing "enter" to boot from selected one.

Have fun.

Thanks Styrian, I will give that a try.  I'm away from home for a couple of days but look forward to checking it out.  I think you're correct about dropping in another HDD just for pc use.  I have a couple of unoccupied drive slots and they are so inexpensive now.

It was not so many years ago that I was working for a small visual effects company here in Vancouver.  I remember when the boss called us together and announced with glee that he'd added more storage and we now had almost a full terabyte of disc space!  Wow!  I think there are cell phones now that have that!

Thanks again for helping out us newbies.  That is what builds communities like this. 

Cheers

Hello!

But you should by this opportunity upgrade your OSX system to an newer versien. Leopard is outdated.  I think Lion should be possible with your hardware in any case. But you have to research, if your gfx.card and your other parts are compatible.

Have fun.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By nindustries
      Hello,

I made something I think some of you might like.
      This little bash, command line script will list all of your startup entries for your macOS machine.
      It does this by listing all plist entries in LaunchDaemon & LaunchAgent folders. (user + system)
      It can also list system loaded plists or login hooks.
      You can disable or enable them, this script will move it to ${filename}.disabled.

Github repo: https://github.com/HazCod/maclaunch
      Download: https://github.com/HazCod/maclaunch/releases
    • By Alboz
      I everyone, first post on the forum in a long time, so i'm sorry if i've done anything wrong 

I've got a super annoying problem, i have successfully installed osx Sierra on my HP G2 250, and i incredibly managed to make everything work (including audio, trackpad prefPane automated open/close on startup (so it loads the settings), LAN, sleep (even with lid closing), wake, screen brightness ecc..) 

With my previous installation (Yosemite) i have switched the original wifi card (that was totally not compatible) with a friend's AR9B95 (AR9285) from Atheros. Wifi is working almost fine but i think that there's a problem with the wifi card on boot.

EVERY time i login into OSX, the wifi icon is there, saying "WiFi active" but it doesn't find any network. So every boot i need to press the wifi button on my laptop twice (don't know why), and then the wifi network list shows up!

It looks like (my opinion) that the wifi card could be on at startup BUT for some reason osx doesn't recognise it so i have to do this tricky thing that disables and re-enables the wifi card 

The led on the wifi button remains orange (instead of changing to white) in both cases... also when i press (disabling) the button, the wifi icon continue to show "wifi active", hence the airport icon is not affected by the keyboard wifi button 

I don't know what to do, i'm so close to having an almost perfect hackintosh, please help me! Thank you! 

P.S.: I also tried to automate the two key-press of the button on startup using terminal and automator, but it doesn't work.. also the function keys on my hackintosh (like brightness) NEEDS the FN button to work BUT to toggle wifi i only have to press F12 WITHOUT FN down, so i really don't know how to automate this, because simulating F12 press via terminal only emulates the FN+F12 combination   .

SPECS:

Intel HD 4000
      Intel i3-3110M Ivy-Bridge
      8GB Ram
      SSD OczVertex3 MI
      Realtek sound card
      Ethernet Realtek RTL8106E
      Wifi Atheros AR9B95 (AR9295) Half - PCIE wireless card

Using Clover bootloader
    • By leonvmetcalf
      Hi!

My audio is working perfectly but I have just 1 slight annoying problem. Whenever I boot, mute doesn't work. I can still play a song on iTunes with the volume on "mute" but I can still hear sound. The only way to fix this is to un-mute and mute again. Any way to fix this problem?

VIA VT1708s Audio Codec using VoodooHDA 2.7.2 on Asus P8B75-M motherboard.
    • By ProPride
      Hey everyone, first time posting, so let's see how this goes.

I created my first clover hack on r3079, and everything has been working. I then fixed iMessage, then decided to update to r3094, and now r3113. This is when things get weird. Ever since these updates, whenever I boot my machine, I now am occasionally able to boot into Yosemite fine, but most of the time I have to press the space bar and select "Boot OS X without caches" or the system hangs at halfway through the loading bar. Is there anywhere to forgo this? I've tried rebuilding my caches multiple times, and nothing seems to be working. On top of this, sometimes when I shutdown, my desktop doesn't actually shut down and reboots itself, and I get an error message when OS X boots saying there was a problem with shutting down and the system restarted itself. Can anyone help with this?

Additional Info: In my BIOS I have all of the lower Advanced CPU settings disabled, such as EIST and C-States for stability of my overclock.
      config.plist.zip
    • By pkb
      I recently installed Mavericks into my Lenovo z570 i3 2nd gen Laptop. I used myHack method. Installation went smooth. I managed to set up everything except bootloader. Problem is I can only boot into Mavericks with my installation USB drive. I even tried installing Chimera, chemeleon independently. But no use. I get No boot media error. i.e. Something like 'Exiting PXE boot rom...'. Can some body please help?