Using a Mercury Accelsior_E2 PCI Express Solid State Drive

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am in the process of designing a hackintosh successor to my MacPro 3,1. One of the components I would like to take along to my new system is my recently purchased Mercury Accelsior_E2 PCI Express SSD. Does anyone have experience with using this kind of SSD? Does it require a specific Intel chipset to be recognized and be used as a boot drive? Any experience, insights are appreciated. Thanks

Tom

Hello!

The easiest way should be to stick it in a Pice solt of a pc, even a friends one and look, if the drive is dedected by bios as hdd and could be choosen up as drive to boot from. Don`t configure anything on the SSD drive, let the pc boot the installed windows or linux and look if, it shows there also up as configureable drive in drivemanager. If you have been able to boot your MacPro 3,1 with it, without installing any additional kexts, it is supportted for sure by OSX as bootable drive, and if is also recognized by bios as drive, you can for sure boot a Hack with it. Try to find it out by yourself, in the way, I have suggested.

Have fun.

PS: You could even try ot boot it in a pc with Clover, but you have to configure Clover  on a usb bootstick matching the hardware needs of the pc and also to inject some addional in the kextfolder of clover installed kext at boottime.

Hello!

The easiest way should be to stick it in a Pice solt of a pc, even a friends one and look, if the drive is dedected by bios as hdd and could be choosen up as drive to boot from. Don`t configure anything on the SSD drive, let the pc boot the installed windows or linux and look if, it shows there also up as configureable drive in drivemanager. If you have been able to boot your MacPro 3,1 with it, without installing any additional kexts, it is supportted for sure by OSX as bootable drive, and if is also recognized by bios as drive, you can for sure boot a Hack with it. Try to find it out by yourself, in the way, I have suggested.

Have fun.

PS: You could even try ot boot it in a pc with Clover, but you have to configure Clover  on a usb bootstick matching the hardware needs of the pc and also to inject some addional in the kextfolder of clover installed kext at boottime.

Hi Styrian,

That would certainly be the way to test it if I could just yank out the SSD out of my system. But it's currently in use both as boot drive and as part of a fusion drive, so I am not to keen to experiment in this phase yet, and I was hoping someone would have tried it before.

And all my friends have Macs as well, of course ;-)

Hello!

I think you are able to yank it out without distroying anything. The only thing is, that you don´t have to alter any of it´s internal settings and try to boot from it and find a friend with.... If you see that the drive is recognized by bios, you can exit your test.

Have fun.

• 1 month later...