Intel HD 4600 not working?

SRSR333

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

I recently purchased a new Haswell machine, the Clevo W230SS (specs in signature). I installed OS X Mavericks, and after booting from my USB drive to the partition, I get a lot of screen artifacts. It's so bad that I can't see the first-time setup screen at all, but just grey and coloured lines. I'm using Chimera and I understand that its IGPlatformID=<value> is the same as Chameleon's ig-platform-id=0x<value>. I've tried all combinations of the several boot flags, and none work. What do I do?

OK, I installed Chameleon. I use boot flags -v, GraphicsEnabler=No and IntelAzulFB=0 to 15. None work. What do I do????

IntelAzulFB has no effect with GraphicsEnabler=No.

IntelAzulFB has no effect with GraphicsEnabler=No.

I see. So I've been doing it wrong all this while, even in Chimera. At any rate, I've exhausted all the combinations for both IntelAzulFB and IGPlatformID, which I suppose correspond to each other. According to Windows, and OS X when I can boot it in safe mode, my Intel HD 4600 GPU's device ID is 0416. But I've tried all the combinations, which includes that device ID (including 0x04160000, and 0x04160002). I get extremely inconsistent results. It works once, and doesn't the next. Odd thing is, even in safe mode, OS X dedicates 1536 MB VRAM to the iGPU.

Anyway, I'm going to try again, without GraphicsEnabler=No, and see if I can get consistent results (i.e. 5-7 consecutive boots with the same boot flags without a garbled screen or a hang at the IOBluetoothController line).

If I don't find a solution, do I have to resort to patching AppleIntelFrameBufferAzul, the EDID, or a DSDT? I'm still booting off my installer USB, and I want to see it fixed on that before I can be sure it will work when I install Chameleon/Chimera on my OS drive.

I see. So I've been doing it wrong all this while, even in Chimera.

Chimera is completely different from Chameleon as far as Intel HD flags...

At any rate, I've exhausted all the combinations for both IntelAzulFB and IGPlatformID, which I suppose correspond to each other.

IGPlatformID has no effect with Chameleon. It is Chimera specific.

According to Windows, and OS X when I can boot it in safe mode, my Intel HD 4600 GPU's device ID is 0416. But I've tried all the combinations, which includes that device ID (including 0x04160000, and 0x04160002).

Don't confuse ig-platorm-id with device-id. They are not related...

Chimera is completely different from Chameleon as far as Intel HD flags...

IGPlatformID has no effect with Chameleon. It is Chimera specific.

Yes, I understand that. What I meant was that I installed Chimera onto my USB drive, tried all the flags for IGPlatformID, and none worked. I then installed Chameleon, tried all the flags for IntelAzulFB (i.e. 0-15), and none worked as well. According to the documentation for Chimera, IGPlatformID was introduced to replace IntelAzulFB, wasn't it?

Anyway, I'm slightly confused. What do I do now?

Yes, I understand that. What I meant was that I installed Chimera onto my USB drive, tried all the flags for IGPlatformID, and none worked. I then installed Chameleon, tried all the flags for IntelAzulFB (i.e. 0-15), and none worked as well. According to the documentation for Chimera, IGPlatformID was introduced to replace IntelAzulFB, wasn't it?

Anyway, I'm slightly confused. What do I do now?

But your test with IntelAzulFB was invalid because of GraphicsEnabler=No. There can be many causes for failed boot. So it could be that you don't have FakeSMC installed, need to disable VT-d or use dart=0, delete the nvidia kexts, or something else. Post a photo of where it stops if you want additional advice.

But your test with IntelAzulFB was invalid because of GraphicsEnabler=No. There can be many causes for failed boot. So it could be that you don't have FakeSMC installed, need to disable VT-d or use dart=0, delete the nvidia kexts, or something else. Post a photo of where it stops if you want additional advice.

Fair enough. I'll try all the IntelAzulFB flags without GraphicsEnabler=No. As a side note, my processor doesn't support VT-d (as stated in Intel ARK), and I've disabled the Nvidia GPU from the BIOS. I've checked that FakeSMC exists, and I see 'DSMOS has arrived' in verbose. I'll update with pictures of what I see ASAP, for different boot flags.

post-931921-14053439757871_thumb.jpg

This is an example of what I see, most of the time. As mentioned I get very inconsistent results, so I sometimes get just minor artifacts, sometimes this garbling, and sometimes a perfect screen.

I've installed Chimera, all necessary drivers and power management onto my OS SSD, and with all IGPlatformID values, I see such a screen, or even worse, a completely black or grey screen with vertical lines. Oddly, the problem solves itself when the screen goes to sleep, and I tap the keyboard to turn it on. I get full acceleration, but such screen garbling is unbearable. It flashes a lot and I have to wait a couple minutes every time before I can log in.

attachicon.gifIMAG0535.jpg

This is an example of what I see, most of the time. As mentioned I get very inconsistent results, so I sometimes get just minor artifacts, sometimes this garbling, and sometimes a perfect screen.

I've installed Chimera, all necessary drivers and power management onto my OS SSD, and with all IGPlatformID values, I see such a screen, or even worse, a completely black or grey screen with vertical lines. Oddly, the problem solves itself when the screen goes to sleep, and I tap the keyboard to turn it on. I get full acceleration, but such screen garbling is unbearable. It flashes a lot and I have to wait a couple minutes every time before I can log in.

Try setting the resolution of the bootloader to match your native LCD panel resolution.

It could also be a brightness control issue... So, if you haven't fixed brightness yet, you should do that first.

Try setting the resolution of the bootloader to match your native LCD panel resolution.

It could also be a brightness control issue... So, if you haven't fixed brightness yet, you should do that first.

By 'setting resolution', do you mean adding "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32" to my boot arguments?

As for brightness, I intend to fix that alongside my DSDT, once I get MaciASL working. It doesn't start up, when it was perfectly fine just a couple of hours ago.

By 'setting resolution', do you mean adding "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32" to my boot arguments?

The specifics depend on bootloader in use, but yes...

As for brightness, I intend to fix that alongside my DSDT, once I get MaciASL working. It doesn't start up, when it was perfectly fine just a couple of hours ago.

The last time someone had difficulty with MaciASL starting, they had saved an /Extra/SSDT.aml as text.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. Any help? I've got brightness control, power management, audio, Ethernet and wireless fixed; there's just this left. What do I do? EDID overriding? DSDT patches? Kext binary patches?