Install/update problems, and Weird video (pic)

Jared Kipe

19 posts in this topic

So last night I built my second OSx86 box (to replace my dual G5) and I'm using the following hardware.

Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Asus EAX1600XT Silent, with TV out

OCZ 2x1GB DDR2-800

Before the install I got the following, Myz 10.4.6 install DVD, JaS 10.4.7 update, JaS 10.4.8 update, and the Boris script installer (the new one that says it has 10.4.8 drivers)

So installation went without a hitch, I had it transfer my files off my G5.

Then I did the updates/patches in the order I have them listed. Everything was fine till rebooting after the boris patch. Now every time I boot up I get this. Booted off install DVD and repaired permissions. (for some reason diskutil wasn't working upon single user boot off HDD)

I have a suspicion I either didn't do the ordering right, or I need the JaS 10.4.6 DVD (downloading, but slow). Or I have one of the weird x1600 silents.

I'll have some more questions later, I'm sure. But its 5AM, and I need some damn sleep. Thank you all.

EDIT: Oh and that stupid popup isn't what I'm talking about, it is referring to some kind of "disk" diskutility sees, I believe it has to do with the mobo's RAID stuff, which I have off. My problem is the torn graphics and it locks up shortly after getting to the desktop.

post-23547-1160481342_thumb.jpg

Well actually, I'm not looking to remove it. I went back through and did the modification by hand and achieved the same result.

I'll be reinstalling my mac os tonight and not updating all the way to 10.4.8 before I try the boris patch. But I need QE and CI as I do lots of aperture stuff and I like my games. I ordered a new card from newegg.com, and I'll have it to try by the end of the week if I cannot get this one up and running.

Also, has anyone with this board noticed that when it shuts down (it never "restarts") I sometimes have to give it a few seconds before I turn it back on, otherwise it kinda comes on but the screen doesn't then it turns itself off again.

So anyone with this motherboard want to share some BIOS tuning tips?

So without the patch it seems that I already have QE and CI enabled. Which is weird, I'm working on forcing my widescreen display at boot up. But I still have some mouse tearing. I'm working on it. But I could still use some BIOS help especially with regards to sleep.

sleep doesn't work with every vid card...and keep in mind there are different revisions of your cards and some people have had problems with certain rev of your card...

google search the card "Asus EAX1600XT site:forum.insanelymac.com" or "Asus EAX1600XT site:forum.osx86project.org"

also are you using dvi, vga, or dvi-> vga adapter?

like my sapphire card I can only get widescreen through the vga port or if i'm using the dvi->vga adapter...

I've tried both VGA and DVI. Both do the same problem, and I've tried several manual meathods, all of which do the same thing. I'm well aware that there are working versions and nonworking versions. But I've never really seen a place where it is described what happens on a nonworking version. So it kind of leaves it up to the imagination. But I already ordered a new card, and it will be here tomorrow.

Ya know I'm not really that "new" here, back when 10.4.4/10.4.5 first rolled out I pioneered a meathod for using the bootloader from the public release of Darwin for fixing all those "Not booting after install" problems.

DVI is working, but I see graphical errors in dark tones, or when I move windows around fast. If I cannot get this fixed, its back to newegg.

If these errors are inheirent, as I'll try various meathods of applying the ati patches over the weekend. I'll have to tough it out with my G5.

DVI is working, but I see graphical errors in dark tones, or when I move windows around fast. If I cannot get this fixed, its back to newegg.

If these errors are inheirent, as I'll try various meathods of applying the ati patches over the weekend. I'll have to tough it out with my G5.

Open a terminal and type in Kextstat and tell me if ATINDRV is loaded.

If it is not that could be the source of the gfx errors.

Don't bother, applying the patch by hand "not using the script" fixed the problem. That and or using your dvd install (which technically gives me more problems than the Myzar, I get hung at "waiting for root device" quite a bit). But I'm happy for now. I'll start installing my important apps and see what happens.

Oh and no more OpenGL crash in xbench. I get more than 33% than my dual 1.8ghz G5 with radeon 9800 pro. This is before overclock. I plan on overclocking a bit once my better CPU cooler arives.

Now to get audio (I had it before reinstall) and sleep enabled.

Well I went back to myz 10.4.6 install DVD as the JaS one's boot loader doesn't work as well and has around 50% probability of hanging on "waiting for root device". And for some reason I couldn't get audio to work.

That said, I've got my small graphical glitches back. Though I've gotta say I'm not 100% sure I ever got rid of them completely. I started to think they were only within safari, but I got aperture installed and saw them there too. Aperture is faster than on my G5, but it will only allow me to have 2 zoomed up, where my G5 allowed 4. Which is a problem for me in how I use Aperture.

post-23547-1160779392_thumb.jpg

post-23547-1160779462_thumb.jpg

I'm going to have to give up on this. I went and go another card, and so far no graphics glitches. But WoW won't run with my graphics working. It runs fine before I apply the patch, but not after. Bottom line, This computer really can't do anything my G5 can't other than its faster. But some things don't work, and I really really don't want to have to reboot into windows everytime I want to play a game.

So I got WoW running. I had to uninstall the patch, and apply it by hand (not editing anything but the one kext) and now Wow runs, and everything is fine.

EXCEPT WoW doesn't run very well, even in windowed mode it is pretty smooth, but once a min or so it hangs up for a few seconds.

Also, Aperture only allows me to have 2 pictures zoomed up at a time, even though my PMG5 let me have 4. I assume this has something to do with hardware check.

If I cannot resolve these issues, I'm afraid I cannot continue with my OSx86 box. Please someone help me. I'll be out nearly $300 if I have to ship this stuff back and incur the restocking fee and shipping costs.