RTL8139D Ethernet

paulisthebest3uk

4 posts in this topic

Hi i purchased a RTL8139D from ebay for a machine running osX86 10.4.7 Jas release. Its branded Belkin, but for some reason it doesnt seem to be recognised in MAC OS X86. Tried swapping pci ports to no avail.

Is there anything else i can try to try and get this to work?.

The chip is a realtek RTL8139D and the card is branded Belkin.

Thanks

Get the vendor id and device id of the card.

Go into Windows -> Device Manager. Under Network Adpaters, find the ethernet card. Get Properties on it. Click the Details tab. The vendor id is the 4 characters following VEN and the device id is the 4 characters following DEV.

Build a string out of those of the form: "0x" + (device id) + (vendor id) like 0x813910ec

Edit this file: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find the line: <string>0x813910ec 0x13001186 0x12111113</string>

Either add your string to it or modify one of the entries to be your string.

Delete the 2 files: /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Repair permissions on your OSX partition

Thanks for the replies guys, i only just noticed it.

I didnt quite understand how to do all you said but it dont matter anyway, because for some weird reason wiping mac os 10.4.7 from the computer and reinstalling it solved it - does this mean whenever you swap a device for a new one you should reinstall osx?

Anyway reinstalling OSX jas10.4.7 soon as i did that the network card was instantly recognised. Cool :compress: