Partition Error

Perry44

12 posts in this topic

Hey people. I just installed bootcamp on my iMac Intel Core Duo. Everything went fine, i got the mac drivers disk made and got to partitioning. I selected the 32 GB amount, hit start. During the process, i get a message reading "The disk cannot be partitioned because verification failed. Use Disk Utility to repair this disk.". I click okay and quit. restart and try again, same thing. Can anyone please help me? PS. Once I get the partitioning done, using bootcamp, can I install Windows Vista RC1 (legal version, from microsoft.com) or only XP? Thank you very much.

post-57240-1160436937_thumb.png

i get a message reading "The disk cannot be partitioned because verification failed. Use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

Did you then "Use Disk Utility to repair this disk"?

You can't repair the disk you are booted on. You should boot your restore disk, go to the Utilities menu and run Disk Utility to repair your disk.

So I need to insert the mac osx boot cd that came with my mac? Alright, nothing will get erased on my computer, will it? (Sorry the n00b questions, Ive never owned a mac or done anything like this before)

No, it is like running CHKDSK on Windows.

Alright. After I run this, should I try running Bootcamp Assistant again?

Edit: I just inserted Disk One, and cannot get it to boot. What key must I hold while booting? I know "d" is for hardware testing, but what is the key for botting the installation disk so I can run Disk Utility? Thanks.

Thank you very much. I got the disk repaired, so I assume it is okay to go ahead and start the Boot Camp Assistant again? Thanks.

Edit: I got passed it :) However, when it tells me to insert my XP CD, I insterted my Vista CD, and it doesnt recognize it. Does that mean I cant isntall Vista using Boot Camp? I hope Im not stuck with two partitions now :whistle:

With your vista disk in, restart the computer. When you hear the start-up sound, hold the option key until you get 3 choises. One looks like a CD. Use the arrow keys to choose the CD. Hit return. Once it loads, follow the instructions. When you select the hard drive. BE SURE YOU SELECT THE 32 GB ONE(IF YOU DON'T, IT WILL ERASE MAC OS X). Click install. If it doesn't work, you need to change the 32 GB drive. Click on more options and then Format. It should work(remember this is microsoft, this all in't apple's fault).

Thanks for you help, abj01; however, when I restart with the cd in and hold option, all that comes up is a logo of the hard drive and it reads "Hard Drive" underneath. Clicking that just loads up mac osx. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks.

Okay. I've switched from Vista to XP Pro. Anyways, I restarted my mac with the xp disc in, help option selected the cd, and installed XP using the onscreen instructions and using the 32 GB partition. However, it said, press enter to reboot, and upon reboot, setup will continue. I hit reboot, and when rebooted, nothing happened but the normal osx loading screen. Have I finished installing XP? Or what should I do? On my desktop a new hard drive icon appears and is titled "Untitled". Any ideas? Please help!!