Leave particular drives disabled/ejected

BiTRiP

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a dual boot system with 2 SSD's (1 Mac and 1 Windows) and 4 HDD's (2x storage for Mac and 2x storage for windows)

While i'm in Mac OSX (mostly) I would like to have the 2 Windows Storage drives leave ejected. So no spinning.

This saves power but more important, less noise.

Is there a way to disable disable/sleep particular drives while I'm in OSX or do I have to eject them manually?

The other drives (mac storage and SSD) has to be always on, so I have "put hard disk to sleep when possible" unchecked.

I hope someone knows a good solution.

Thanks,

BiTRiP

You can avoid partitions from being mounted at boot by adding them to the "/etc/fstab" file.

Open up a terminal and type the following command:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

This opens up a little text editor called nano with the file already opened. Here you can add any partition you want unmounted at boot like this:

*/ By name /*
LABEL=Seven none ntfs ro,noauto

*/ By UUID /*
UUID=5148B030-F535-4B37-A23C-8C6ED45B1C46D none msdos rw,noauto

You need to set the proper partition format for it to work (don't know if permissions are a requirement).

Formats: hfs, ntfs or msdos (for FAT32)

Permissions: ro (read only) or rw (read write)

Once you're done adding partitions, then you can save and exit the nano app by "Ctrl+X", "Y" and "Enter".

Thanks Maniac10.

With using LABEL it didn't work but it worked with using UUID  :yes:

They are now left unmount after boot. Unfortunately still spinning.

Is it also possible to put certain drive to sleep permanently so they stop spinning during boot?

Cheers,

BiTRiP

If no partition is mounted then OSX should turn the disk off, I tested this right now and it worked perfectly. Did you enable the disk option in system preferences->energy?

No, that option is unchecked as I mentioned in my first post because the other drives may not go in sleep and should be running always.

A workaround would be to enable the option "sleep when possible" and create a daemon that writes something to X partition every few minutes to keep the disk on. It would be similar to the "antipop daemon" used to stop the audio chip from sleeping to avoid the annoying pop noise.

Still I don't understand why you don't want the other disks to sleep when they're not used. The SSD with the OS won't be turned off often (or at all) and the storage one will only be turned off when idle for a while.

shut down the SATA ports in UEFI/BIOS, this will help in no longer making them spin-up, then, create separate profiles inside your BIOS when switching in-between reboots. I also tested hot-plugging devices on the UD5H and it works fine, so, another option is to get a ICY box type-of-solution so you can just manually eject them like floppies