Dell e1505 x1400 os x 10.4.7

ziki

14 posts in this topic

Hey i downloaded jas 10.4.7 and installed it. everything went fine. When i went to go boot it up, i get the grey apple logo loading screen then it turns black, as in my lcd turned off.

It does the same thing in safe mode. What should i do?

Change the resolution? If so, i dont know how.

anyone else have luck with this?

Try Boris method :(

Boris doesn't work on ATI Radeon Mobility except for external monitors.

Boris only works for x1600, x1800 and x1900 cards.

If this computer has x1400, there is currently no special driver for it. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=21972 and http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=25111

If the Radeon x1600 Support was installed with 10.4.7, this is probably the cause of the video problems.

I installed the 10.4.7 intel combo update, sse3, wireless networking, sigmatel, and via sata ata...just in case

i've heard other cases where people have gotten os x up and running. isnt it possible?

The packages you selected look fine.

I believe that other x1400 video users have gotten into OSX without problems. Just have problems setting resolutions, reducing video artifacts and getting acceleration for graphics.

Try booting with F8 and at the prompt type (with the quote marks):

"Graphics Mode" = "1024x768"

If that gets you in, then when you boot again, hit F8 and type: ?video

This will display the VESA resolutions available to you. Use one of these in the Graphics Mode command.

And if you find one you can work with, go to the boot.plist file and add the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768</string> (or whatever resolution you choose)

I tried the graphics mode line and it didn't work. I get the apple loading screen, then the screen turns grey (sometimes with a darker grey bar down the middle), then it goes black. I see my hard drive is still working though.

this doesnt work in regular or safe mode.

Any other suggestions?

I tried the graphics mode line and it didn't work. I get the apple loading screen, then the screen turns grey (sometimes with a darker grey bar down the middle), then it goes black. I see my hard drive is still working though.

this doesnt work in regular or safe mode.

Any other suggestions?

Have you tried booting with -v so you can see the line-by-line report of the boot process rather than having it hidden behind the gray screen? I'm guessing it will stop at a "waiting for root device" type warning, which would mean it doesn't like the sata or ide kext for accessing your hard drive. Try the -v and post back what it tells you towards the end. It is hard to really help you without that kind of info.

Another thing to try (just a guess) would be to try booting with one core of your dual-core CPU turned off in the BIOS.

Have you tried booting with -v so you can see the line-by-line report of the boot process rather than having it hidden behind the gray screen? I'm guessing it will stop at a "waiting for root device" type warning

He's having a video driver problem creating the grey screen, if you read the full thread.

How about trying an experiment? Let's move all the ATI drivers out of the way to see if that helps.

Boot into single user mode - Instead of typing -v at boot, type -s at boot.

You will boot to a command line. Type:

mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions
mkdir ati_backup
mv ATI* ati_backup/
cd /System/Library
rm -rf Extensions.mkext
rm -rf Extensions.kextcache
reboot

If you want to restore the ATI drivers later, boot into single user mode (-s) and type:

mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions
mv ati_backup/ATI* ./
cd /System/Library
rm -rf Extensions.mkext
rm -rf Extensions.kextcache
reboot