devBrian

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, here are my specs, to begin:

i5 3570k

8GB DDR3 1600

Sapphire 7850 OC 2048MB

Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H Motherboard

Mavericks 10.9.3

Everything works out of the box, basically, including the video card, however the card does not work properly in games, flash videos, etc, and in the Device list, it is listed as:

AMD Radeon 7xxx 2048MB, so the framebuffer is not set properly.

Now, I went into the AMD 7000 kext and the 4000 kext and added 0x68191002.

However, after that, the device is still listed as 7xxx.  I also tried a DSDT edit to add the edits confirmed working here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295190-sapphire-hd-7850-full-works/

After that, I still get 7xxx.

I am using the latest revision of Clover.

Any recommendations? :|

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a PowerColor 7850 2GB, it seemed like no one else on the planet had one but me. If you're still having trouble you can try to inject a vbios of a different make of the 7850 in Clover, it was my last resort. Nothing else helped me except for what I tried out myself, now my card works perfectly. I am running it right now with 10.9.4.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a PowerColor 7850 2GB, it seemed like no one else on the planet had one but me. If you're still having trouble you can try to inject a vbios of a different make of the 7850 in Clover, it was my last resort. Nothing else helped me except for what I tried out myself, now my card works perfectly. I am running it right now with 10.9.4.

How did you do this?

Thanks

FYI I have a MSI 7850 2GB

Here is what I did

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Graphics#LoadVBios

With the vbios attached, I dropped the file into /EFI/Clover/ROM

This is in the EFI partition so you have to mount it to get to these directories.

When you reboot you must have InjectATI and LoadVBios checked in the Clover graphics options. This was after I updated to 10.9.3, I'm not sure if you are on 10.9.3 but it is a must for this to work.

If that vbios doesn't work you can try downloading the ones I tried before it worked for me here: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=ATI&manufacturer=&model=HD+7850&interface=&memType=&memSize=2048

be careful as some vbios files can change the card settings at lower software levels while on OS X if they are loaded, but does not actually flash the bios on your card and thus the changes are not permanent.

1002_6819.rom.zip

Just browsing this section and saw this! Thanks.

I've got the MSI HD 7850 2GB OC Edition with 4 ports (2xMDP, 1xHDMI, and 1xDVI.

I've got a dual-monitor setup and the only way I've got it working is by plugging in the main monitor via MiniDisplay using DVI to MDP adapter, and plugging in the secondary monitor via DVI. I only get output on the main monitor via MDP but the card shows up as 750 2048. It's a start I suppose!

Edit: Turns out the display only works on DVI, not MDP. But both cables need to be plugged in at the same time.

Excellent, glad you got it to work at least partially.

I had a dual monitor setup before on HDMI and DVI, it worked just fine on my card after getting it recognized but I am sure the problems vary among different models and vendors. You can always try working with other vbioses in the link I have in the previous post to see if anything works better with another file. Be sure to save your existing vbios just in case.

What frame buffer are you using? Or do you leave that bit blank in the Clover configuration?

Yeah, that's my next step. Trying all the different BIOS' available on that site!

I left that part blank in Clover, but if anything it should be Pitcairn.

Here is the section of clover.plist to change if you want InjectATI and LoadVbios permanent. 

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>LoadVBios</key>
		<true/>

No dice for me :(

I've already got those settings in my config.plist.

Tried using Pitcairn framebuffer and injecting ATI+ VBIOS but. Both screens work but card shows up at HD 7XXX. I'm going to have to try all the VBIOS roms then I guess :'(

Hi Aldini!

I'm on 10.9.4. I downloaded the latest kext from this thread:

(bottom of the page) and installed it. Card shows up as 7XXX without needing to touch the Inject settings for ATI and Vbios

Also my card has 4 connectors(2xMDP,HDMi and DVI), but Clover shows it as "5" when I go to graphics injection menu in it. Any ideas why?

I don't think the "7xxx" will be an issue with you, as Slice reported in a comment here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288687-radeon-hd-7850-support/?p=1927755

As for the number of ports I am not sure why it shows up as 5 instead of 4. I think it could be because it's reading the vbios written in the ROM directory instead of your actual card, but don't quote me on that.

I mean to be honest I'm content with 7XXX on two screens,  as I am equally content with full framebuffer on the main screen only (using Aji in Clover).

Maybe I'll look for a solution later on. Got sound working finally, so I'm happy now.

Thanks for the helps and tips guys

• 1 month later...