Ram for iMac Core Duo

8 posts in this topic

I have an iMac Core Duo with 512 MB of ram. For a while it was fine, but now for what I do its beginning to feel a little weak. I want to buy more ram to have around 1 GB. Is there any ram that is cheaper than Apple Ram (from places such as Newegg)? I have Applecare and do not want to void my warranty.

I bought two of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227099, and they work perfectly in my Mac Mini which uses the same ram as your iMac. Read the reviews and you will see other Mac owners have had great success with this RAM as well. If you are going to upgrade I recommend replacing your 512 module with 1x1gb or 2x1gb. Markusf is absolutely right, if you just add another 512mb you have no further upgrade path. This way you either have an upgrade path or you max out your system.

PC2-5400 runs at 667mhz which is the correct clock speed. If you wanted to use the 1gb module plus your existing 512mb no it wouldn't work because of the desparity between PC2-5300 and PC2-5400, however, PC2-5400 works and is the correct speed. No they will not void your warranty if you use a different manufacturer's memory as long as it doesn't cause system complications. Ex: If you installed the memory and then your computer began malfunctioning it would not be covered under warranty and apple would charge you to work on the computer. However, in this instance you would just remove the new memory, put the stock memory back in, and RMA your new memory to get a replacement or a refund.