Mavericks Install on Asus Z77 mb (Help w/ Troubleshooting)

bsancken

23 posts in this topic

Ok so,

I followed the guide here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/

Specs: i7 3770, Asus z77 mb, Gtx760 in lane 1 and HD7970 on lane 2.

And I get to the step after chameleon is installed (and I do a Boot 0 fix) and it says I should be able to boot freely now. Instead I can't boot through the boot loader it installed, The computer comes up with the screen to chose and then tries to boot but just resets and tries again....

Suggestions? The only way to boot is to use the boot loader on the usb drive...

Are you sure about GE=Y for HD7970? Afaik will this give QE/CI but a white screen - unless screen rotate app is installed. GE=N will give a screen, but no QE/CI.

The instant reboot happens on my board (GA-H87M-D3H) when VT-d is enabled in bios/UEFI - I thought of dart=0 to make sure there is no problem with visualization...

Do you connect your monitor(s) to ATi/AMD or nVidia card?

I'd suggest to try setting up with only one graphics card and when you got it working, note the method and swap the graphics card and do the same. After that we'll try to combine the methods.

About the disabling of the IGP will Gringo be much competent than me - my last ASUS mobo had a P43 chipset, so I'm a bit outdated regarding their bios settings. I think you are close the right option, but just close, not there ;)

Best regards

What is the Exact ASUS model ??

you can try this Extra folder to put on the usb drive

just flag -v

post-1307754-13935456286342_thumb.jpg

This is what I get when I try your extra folder...

Forgotten o mention it sits there after a key is pressed for several seconds then it reboots..

Photo above:

Remove the kernel patcher module from /Extra/Modules.

BIOS Photo:

Deactivate "render standby" in the BIOS as well....the other settings are correct.

Asus Z77 boards have locked MSR 0xE2 register which causes AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext to kernel panic on boot, to boot OS X you'll need to either unlock it, patch it or block CPU powermanagement entirely using one of these methods:

- patching your BIOS with pmpatch (this is the best solution but flashing a patched BIOS can be difficult)

- patching AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext (second best solution)

- using NullCPUPM.kext (blocks AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext from loading at all, the easiest way but you lose OS controlled CPU powermanagement)

Even though it says "UEFI" everywhere you read about this, it also applies if you're booting in non-UEFI mode.

In order to load kernel extensions from /Extra/Extensions (such as NullCPUPM) you must set UseKernelCache=n in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist. /Extra/Extensions will be ignored if you don't.

If I were you I'd remove the ATI video card until you're able to boot and everything is working. This will make it a lot easier to troubleshoot/isolate issues specific to the ATI card later.

NullCPUPM.kext: Available everywhere, use google

AICPM.kext: In /System/Library/Extensions, you patch it yourself, google to find out how. Obviously first boot would have to be with NullCPUPM.

Patched BIOS: Download latest BIOS for your board from ASUS > run pmpatch on it > flash it using a method that allows flashing a modified BIOS.

If you can boot with the USB stick that means it already has NullCPUPM on it, or, if you're lucky, that MSR 0xE2 is in fact not locked on your board.

If you can boot with the USB stick that means it already has NullCPUPM on it, or, if you're lucky, that MSR 0xE2 is in fact not locked on your board.

Thanks! I have flashed updates several times from Asus so they may have gotten sloppy with their control..

It's not about control, it's about not giving a damn. Your motherboard was not designed to run OS X.

Windows and Linux simply don't care whether this register is locked or not and so neither do Asus or most other PC motherboard manufacturers.

EDIT

I just found out that Clover can patch for this issue on the fly:

http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/KernelAndKextPatches#AsusAICPUPM

This is right before you should be seeing the desktop. It's done booting.

I wonder what's causing all those SMC errors, obviously you have FakeSMC.kext loaded because it says "DSMOS has arrived" at the bottom.

Two people have independently suggested that you remove one of the video cards until you can get it to boot. Yet both of them are clearly still plugged in.

Alright I booted with flags -f and -v (with only the nvidia card in) and it still sits at the white screen for about 30 seconds then shows the text then boots to login.. Is there any reason for it to take so long or is that normal?

Also where do I start for troubleshooting the amd card?

Thanks!

EDIT I meant to say -f and -v sorry!

I can't offer any further specific help, I've never Hackintoshed anything with two video cards and never used an ATI card. Next step would be figuring out how to configure Chameleon to properly inject your particular ATI card. ATI cards are traditionally much more complicated than nvidia cards. Keep SkipNvidiaGfx=y and GraphicsEnabler=y set.

As you search for a solution you'll find people saying that GraphicsEnabler doesn't work with two cards at the same time, but keep in mind that you're effectively preventing it from injecting your nvidia card (because it's not necessary). So this shouldn't be an issue.

You don't have to add settings for the ATI card to your /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist yet - while you're experimenting you can type them on the command line in the same place where you're currently adding -f and -v.

If it locks up when booting with the ATI card plugged in you can try SkipATIGfx=y - actually you should probably have tried that to begin with before unplugging the card, I didn't think about that.

You can use IOJones to examine the device tree with both cards plugged in, maybe this will help to determine if there's some sort of conflict.

Take screenshots and notes during the troubleshooting process so you can keep up with any changes, positive or negative.

Booting with -f and UseKernelCache=n takes longer because OS X ignores the kernel cache, this is normal.

-v is verbose mode, this is just for monitoring the boot and start-up process in real time. This will also take a little longer because it runs a disk check, if you look closely you can see fsck being executed.

To see what's happening during your white screen, open Console.app and click system.log in the left pane. All events are timestamped, looking at the events that passed while the screen was white can be helpful in discovering what it's doing at that point.

'hoy,

afaik is the white screen with nVidia cards a problem with the PCIRoot, but I don't have a recent nV card so don't rely on me. Try to boot with the flags "-v -f PCIRoot=0" or "-v -f PCIRoot=1" - if this will solve the white screen and graphics card is fully working (including QE/CI), note the boot flags and swap nVidia to ATi/AMD.

To check if QE/CI is working try to watch a DVD with the standard DVD Player (insert a disk and start watching it, not just starting the software ;) ).

Good luck!

It's an ASUS Z77 board so it's almost certain that PCIRoot is 0 as it usually is on ASUS boards.

Setting PCIRoot=0 is never necessary -  it is only necessary to override PCIRoot in case your motherboard needs it set it to 1 and Chameleon is unable to automatically detect it.

The reason for this is that Chameleon will always default to 0 when it's unable to determine the PCIRoot on its own.

For more information see the pinned "Tequila fix" topic in the DSDT sub forum.