10.4.8 installed: No sound in QuickTime?

The Shaun

32 posts in this topic

Anyone else having this problem? I upgraded to 10.4.8 from .4.7 and since then, QuickTime has no sound whatsoever in anything. iTunes still works fine, and MP3's played in QuickTime works okay too. It seems to only affect videos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reinstalling QuickTime did NOT help me, and AppZapper did NOT help either. I am also getting NO sound when trying to play streaming video with Quicktime on Mac OS X 10.4.8 on SSE2. I CAN get sound when playing other videos such as the ones on my hard drive though. It does NOT make a difference if it is QuickTime version 7.0.4 or 7.1.2. The video is smooth, but the sound is zilch. I know NOT to install 7.1.3 because then the video is all staggered on SSE2. I've tried following some steps on other threads about this, but nothing helps. Hopefully we can figure out what exactly is preventing audio from playing on streaming videos on an SSE2 10.4.8 Hac. It worked fine on 10.4.7. If anyone knows, please let us know. Thank you! :whistle:

Cya!

~Melody~

Where can I find the 10.4.8 version to download?

If you have an SSE2 processor, according to the forums and other people's experience (and mine too!), you are supposed to use QuickTime 7.1.2 because version 7.1.3 causes sloooow video (been there!). QuickTime 7.1.2 can be found at http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/qui...e712formac.html . Otherwise, the latest version of QuickTime is 7.1.3, which is easy enough to find--just got to apple.com/quicktime or Software Update (be careful on Software Update though!). If you are referring to downloading OS X 10.4.8 itself or its update, I don't think I'm allowed to say where you can download it, but you can look at the tutorials or installation sections for more info. Good luck! :blink:

Cya!

~Melo~

EDIT: By the way, I checked out another post at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;hl=quicktime , and my System Profiler tells me I have NO built-in audio either. I also should mention that I have already tried changing settings in Audio MIDI Setup, but that did NOT help at all.

Hi Katmail,

Thank you for your prompt reply. The videos in which I do not get sound are streaming videos on the internet, such as Apple's advertisements and movie trailers. Here is an example for you: http://www.apple.com/ca/getamac/ (click on any one of Apple's ads). I have searched the forums many times for Quicktime audio/sound problems, and I've tried different steps with NO help. But I'll continue searching for changing the components in the System/Library/Quicktime folder as you mention it. Please let me know if there is anything else that can be done to attempt to resolve this. Thanks again for your help.

Cya!

~Melody~

P.S. I remember seeing something about installing an application called "Sunflower" to fix the audio problem, but I was so tired when I came home from work last night that I lost the post, and the search button does not work the best (as we know)--that's OK though. I'll find it. :thumbsdown_anim:

P.P.S. No wonder I could not find it--the app is actually called "Soundflower." I must have really been tired last night!

Hi Melody of Dismay

I think your problem may related to the SSE2 problem

Hope you can try the Next release by JaS 10.4.8 DVD install for SSE2

Now present members are downloading the JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 only Install DVD 4.37GB

JaS has said he will add SSE2 and AMD capability to the install DVD using PPF patches. So, you need the DVD iso so you can be ready to patch it when the patches are created.

Free Download it ...It will be useful later

JaS know there are a lots of Pentium 4 Northwood Processor around the OS X86 member

Intel Northwood is a Greener Processor

He will not let you out in the cold

Best Regards

from South East Asian

Hi Katmail,

Thanks for your reply again. I totally agree with you that this is an SSE2 issue that has to do with the 10.4.8 update or combo update itself. No problem--I've already started downloading the JaS 10.4.8 DVD over 12 hours ago--I'm at 51.5% of the way there! I should have posted about that too--I apologize for not doing so. Thanks for your reassurance and encouragement, Katmail--I know that JaS works very hard to help all the OSx86 members. I appreciate all the help everyone has given me, and I will do my best to return it! :) I think I will reinstall OS X and stick with 10.4.7 until further notice--that, or I could just use my trustworthy PowerBook! If anyone knows more about this SSE2/10.4.8/QuickTime no audio issue, please let us know.

Cya!

~Melody~

Thanks, Katmail--I guess I should have indicated earlier that I have already tried Soundflower, but it did NOT resolve the issue with Quicktime streaming videos (I've been busy working and studying, so I don't always post my updated info right away, and I apologized about that). I wonder if it has resolved it for anyone else. I am still waiting for the 10.4.8 JaS DVD--it is almost done, but my other computer at home is downloading it, and I am at school right now. I look forward to the SSE2 patches when they arrive too. :poster_oops: Thanks again.

Cya!

~Melo~

I'm also having problem playing trailers from apple.com/trailers, but sunflower doesnt work for me - if i set output to sunflower then theres NO audio (yes, i have selected my sound device in sunflowerbed), only way im getting any sound is by setting my sound device as system out, and then sound in quicktime is still gone.

btw. wierd thing i noticed: if i hear a song (e.g. itunes) and then open a webbrowser to see a quicktime movie with quicktime plugin then the audio goes dead EVERYWHERE, the song isn't playing out of the speakers anymore, but then when I close the browser it starts playing again as if it was on mute.

PLEASE are there any fixes for this?

I not only have no audio, but also no video in QuickTime.

I do have audio and video in other media players, though Vlc plays my media too fast.

iTunes audio: ok, MSMedia Player: ok, MPlayer video: ok, djoPlayer: issues with full screen video, otherwise ok.

Anyone knows what might be going on with QuickTime? I ran Software update for iTunes, Java, Quicktime and X11, and after that none of the tried media players would play smoothly anymore. Did a reinstall of my system and all is well again, apart for the missing Quicktime video & audio.

Rogn

I fixed my Quicktime problems!

I was using my MB's onboard GMA950, because the Nvidia 7900GT PCIe (which I also have) is a bit of a heater in my pc (idling at 50C). Anyway, I stuck in the NVidia 7900GT, did a clean reinstall, installed the Titan.kext, and tried Quicktime.

Behold, I had a picture! Still no sound though.

Then I did the Apple software update (X11, Java, iTunes and Quicktime 7.1.3), reboot... and I suddenly had picture AND sound!!

So, there's something about the GMA950 driver that prevents Quicktime from doing anything on my system (ConRoe945G, E6300), but with the Nvidia 7900GT and the 7.1.3 Quicktime update, all is well.

Rogn

Hi Rognvaldr

You are fine ,cause you have a SSE3 Processor...

There is no Socket 775 SSE2

All Intel Pentium 4 or D that has SSE3 are funace

That why it lose market share to AMD

They idle around 45~50 watts

But Intel Pentium 4 SSE2 Northwood idle at 10 watts

Its a Green and cool Processor but it cannot perform in OS X86

Due to Mac OS X only support SSE3 processor so it has to be emulated

Some people reported SSE2 processor run well on JaS 10.4.7

My advice to fellow members to upgrade in Jan 2007

Cause Intel is going to cut the price of the Pentium as high as 60%

Regards

Katmail

btw. wierd thing i noticed: if i hear a song (e.g. itunes) and then open a webbrowser to see a quicktime movie with quicktime plugin then the audio goes dead EVERYWHERE, the song isn't playing out of the speakers anymore, but then when I close the browser it starts playing again as if it was on mute.

Hello Klapi,

I actually tried that out--I played an mp3 in iTunes 6.0.4 (3), and then I tried playing one of the Apple ads on http://www.apple.com/getamac/ (same as a movie trailer as they are both streaming QuickTime videos), and sure enough; the audio in the iTunes mp3 cuts out as soon as I start playing the streaming QuickTime video. Please note that the audio works FINE when I play a QuickTime video from my hard drive. Also, pausing the streaming QuickTime video DOES bring back the audio in iTunes. Still, I would like to know more about this glitch too. I guess I could just buy an SSE3 processor, but maybe I'd like to get this SSE2 to work too. If anyone knows the answer, please let us know, and we will be very happy. Thanks for all your help!

Cya!

~Melo~

Hi Katmail,

I guess getting the Prescott processor would be the easiest solution--I can buy it no problem, but perhaps I should wait until the price drops in January '07--thanks for the smart tip! Then I'd be able to use that new Titan nVidia 10.4.8 driver--that would be cool. Plus, an SSE3 processor would allow the audio to work in QuickTime streaming videos too. Then maybe I would become a Melody of Joy! :blink:

Cya!

~Melo~

Hi Melody of Dismay

If you happen to become Melody of Joy

Just PM to let me know

I believe Others will help you solve your Quicktime sound problems with an SSE2 Processor

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood is an Reliable Processor not like the Prescott which is a funace

Katmail

i tried to get the 7.1.2 installed. deleting 7.1.3 with AppDelete and installing 7.1.2 didnt work because of the installer.

than i replaced the Archive.bom and Archive.px.gz from 7.1.3.pkg with the ones from 7.1.2.pkg and the installation of the modified 7.1.3.pkg worked. the video playback is now smooth again but i still have no sound.

the soundflower thingy didnt work either.

regards, tom.

it looks like there have been 2 different versions of the 10.4.8 update, the first version was just for getting people to desktop and had lots of bugs that were fixed later on. ive heard that the latest 10.4.8 update doesnt have these sound problems.

only problem is that we cant fix this without reinstalling osx 10.4.7 and updating it again.

regards, tom.

Thanks, Katmail. There is always hope! :)

Cya!

~Melo~

Hi Tomyeah, I have an SSE2 processor and the second 10.4.8 update (the combo update that is more finalized than the previous 10.4.8 update). I can get smooth video on QuickTime 7.1.2, but NO audio on streaming content. So I guess these sound problems are still present in the newer 10.4.8 update...unless there is yet a third version of which I'm unaware. I have no problem reinstalling my OS, so whatever it takes to get streaming audio, and I'm good! Hope we find a way to sort this out.

Cya!

~Melo~