In DSDT, What is the "AAPL" and where does it come from?

Kuebeker

12 posts in this topic

Anyone who has looked at an Apple DSDT knows what he's asking about. :)

I was asking him to clarify what the question actually was...  The OP is not clear.

As far as 'where AAPL comes from'...  Clearly, it is an arbitrary string that Apple chooses to use because of the fact it is their stock ticker symbol.

What is it's function when used in DSDT._DMS? 

I have not seen the AAPL in any of Apple DSDT's and I'm questioning it's usefulness. 

I think you mean _DSM.

The purpose of the _DSM injection is to place such properties into the ioreg where they can be read by drivers (kexts).  Normally, such injections happen in Mac firmware, but doing EFI injections in the bootloader (GraphicsEnabler, EthernetBuiltIn, etc) or _DSM injections in ACPI allow normal PCs to set these properties as required.

• Like 1

I understand the use of _DSM but from what I observed, adding "AAPL" as in "AAPL,some_parameter_name" does absolutely nothing for original Mac kext's.

I have not seen a single post on AAPL's uses. 

I'll classify AAPL as snake-oil.  

Correction, APPL is precent in newer macs. My bad!

I understand the use of _DSM but from what I observed, adding "AAPL" as in "AAPL,some_parameter_name" does absolutely nothing for original Mac kext's.

I have not seen a single post on AAPL's uses. 

I'll classify AAPL as snake-oil.

On what basis?

As an example, to inject the platform ID used for HD4000/HD4600/etc, you inject "AAPL,ig-platform-id". The AAPL part is not optional. For HD3000, you inject a value for "AAPL,snb-platform-id" To avoid instant wake from sleep, you inject "AAPL,clock-id" on the USB node. To make graphics work with a dual-link LVDS cable, you inject "AAPL,DualLink". There are many more examples.

Definitely not snake oil. I suggest you learn a bit more before making such false assertions.

Note: These are just strings that identify properties, eventually retrieved by a driver using getProperty or getObject. They could have chosen anything (eg. "Apple", "Steve", "Jobs", "SJ", "Woz", "FooBar"), but chose to (sometimes) use their stock symbol as a prefix.

The screenshot is a IOReg from a original MacbookAir 2013.

You can see AAPL all over it.

A search for AAPL in the complete IOReg finds it in the graphic section, USB section, PCI subsystem, network subsystem etc.

So Apple is using AAPL A LOT.

post-1077829-0-82793800-1392997343_thumb.png