Making my 1st Hackintosh. Need some advice.

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I'm looking to upgrade my MacBook Pro to a dedicated power desktop. I'm a photographer and video editor. So I need some real power and lots of memory. I'm still using my old Apple screen and some firewire devices. I want to make a fast computer while keeping it on a budget of around $2500 AUD Love to hear if this build works and if possible where I could save some money.

Part Type   Price   CPU

Intel - Core™ i7-4770K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)

385   CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 149   Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7 TH  640   Memory Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance Low Profile 
16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL10 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black
244   Case Fractal Design 
Define R4 (Black Pearl)
148   Power Supply Corsair HX750 149   HDD

Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB SSD

109   Wifi TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless PCI Express Adapter $45   Graphics Card Gigabyte N770OC-4GD 4G GTX 770 PCI-E VGA Card 495         TOTAL PRICE $2511

Hello and welcome!

The GA-Z87X-UD7 lacks any firewire ports, so you have to get an additional card and I only see 120 GB of memory. I'd get an additional 2 TB to store photos and videos.

If you are not going to overclock the cpu you could save money buying a non K-cpu (e.g. i7-4771 has the same clock speed). Additional savings are possible by choosing a smaller psu with around 500 W.

Best regards

Hello and welcome!

The GA-Z87X-UD7 lacks any firewire ports, so you have to get an additional card and I only see 120 GB of memory. I'd get an additional 2 TB to store photos and videos.

If you are not going to overclock the cpu you could save money buying a non K-cpu (e.g. i7-4771 has the same clock speed). Additional savings are possible by choosing a smaller psu with around 500 W.

Best regards

Thanks Laberlohe,

The GA-Z87X-UD7 TH (rev. 2.0) has two thunderbolt ports. I already own a Drobo that has both Firewire 800 ports and a USB 3.0 port. If USB 3.0 is faster on my new Hackintosh I'll use that otherwise I'll buy a Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter.

In the future I might pick up another HHD for extra internal space. RIght now I'm running a 7tb dual redundancy setup on my Drobo, so I have heaps of space. 

I was going to overclock the cpu and getting a bigger power helps with expandability later on.

I do have one last question. I have a 

Apple Cinema LED Cinema Display 24" that connects via Mini DisplayPort. How would you get this display connected to my new Hackintosh? Is there an easy way? Or do I need a new screen too?