desktop sometimes freezes

dreadkopp

11 posts in this topic

aloha community.

i managed it to get my amd rig to run.

it's an phenom II X4 945 with asus m4a88t-m usb3 motherboard and nvidia gtx 460 se graphicscards.

i am using osx 10.8.5

i am using the following kernel: (which is bronya's final amd kernel for 10.8.5)

localhost:~ arne$ uname -a
Darwin localhost 12.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0: суббота,  9 ноября 2013 г. 07:52:39 (MSK); root:xnu-2050.48.11_10.8.5_Sinetek_Anv_Bronzovka_rc5/BUILD/obj//RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

every now and then (luckyly not too often) the desktop freezes. i still can move the mouse and other apps are still running (for example itunes playing music)

since i am unable to click anything i have to hard-restart.

is there a way to fix this?

i thought that i need to restart the GUI, and use a shortcut on keyboard to run the script.

it should work (?) since the input from the mouse/keyboard is still recognized and system isn't frozen, just the desktop.

which command shall i use to restart the desktop?

or is there another fix?

greetings!

If you see "OpenGL Channel Exception" at the time of your last freeze in the system or kernel.log (use console.app) then forum search "Fermi Freeze".

You can test for this immediately, keep VLC running in the background (the window doesn't have to be visible) playing back a short movie clip on repeat. If the freezes go away then that's the Fermi Freeze. There is no fix for it, and there probably never will be. If you don't like to tie up VLC, there's a little app that you can set as login item and run in the background to prevent it from happening. It keeps the GPU busy by constantly drawing polygons, this prevents the freeze. You'll find it if you search like I said.

okay. i will have a look at the logs when it freezes the next time. i read about mountain lions nvidia drivers are improved to prevent fermi freeze? otherwise, since it is a fault in the clocking of the gpu, will it be fixed, if i edit the bios of the gpu and change the state 0 clock from standart value to something higher ? (for wxample 40 mhz to 200 mhz)?

thanks and greetings

EDIT:

okay.. it froze again. here is a screen of the log

bildschirmfoto2014-02l4ynz.png

no "OpenGL Channel Exception", but WindowServer: CGXDisbleUpdate: UI Updates were forcibly closed... what does that mean?

As I said there is no fix for the Fermi Freeze - if that's what it is. I'm not familiar with your CGXDisableUpdate message.

So, if it turns out to be the Fermi Freeze, Mountain Lion drivers won't help you. Modifying your BIOS will not help either, it has already been done, as has anything else you can think of that might fix this issue.

Look in system.log or kernel.log, "alle meldungen" shows too much stuff. You don't have to wait for "when it freezes the next time", you can go look for past freezes, all log events have a time stamp.

As you can see there's a search box in the upper right corner where you can simply type something like OpenGL or WindowServer and then collect your evidence....

okay... left it unattended for an hour or so... it froze again. i think this is the error log you meant:

bildschirmfoto2014-02t8uvh.png

okay... so to "fix" this i need to put some load on the graphics card.

this freeze is fermi-related, rght? so if i use am compatile ATI GPU it would not freeze.

thanks for your help to figure this out.

greetings

Yes that's the good old Fermi Freeze. Sorry.

The app you can set as login item and run in the background is called "OpenGL FPS CUDA Clockrate". It has a slider that you're supposed to set to around 400. Somebody made a modified version that starts hidden and already has the slider at 400. I don't have it anymore but it's here somewhere in one of the Fermi Freeze or GTX 460 topics.

okay. will look for the app you suggested. i am now trying this "fix": http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291300-fermi-freeze-investigation/ is there a way to provoke a freeze?

okay.. i googled for the app you mentioned. i did not find it. what i found was the one seen in the screen following. also cuda-z shows a clockrate of 1400 mhz. and the rate does not change. Does cuda-z just read the maximum clock or the current one?

bildschirmfoto2014-02essx0.png

bildschirmfoto2014-0264sov.png

I can't tell you because I can't run CUDA-Z at the moment because there's no matching CUDA version for the nvidia drivers I'm running. 1400 seems high if all it's doing is drawing a couple of triangles.

You are aware that the model identifier you are using affects video card power management right? AFAIK MacPro3,1 is the only one that doesn't (AGPM.kext does not load when using MacPro3,1).

Or you can make modifications to AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext yourself. There are guides available.

The app you found looks like the one i remember. Try leaving it running with 10 triangles per refresh and see if the freezes still occur. If it freezes then reboot and bump it up a notch, wait again. Hopefully you'll end up with a minimal amount of triangles + no freeze.

I don't know how to provoke a freeze. As I recall it was completely random. You could go for hours or even days with no freeze and then suddenly, no matter if you were playing a game or just browsing the internet..(ie high load or low load) Fermi freeze!

well, i am using clover with a smbios telling my computer it is a mac 3.1.

so i edit my smbios to tell the pc it is a for example macpro5.1? or is there a version which supports the nvida gpu best? and which value changes the identification? is it just the serial or the model-identifier?

bildschirmfoto2014-02g5lrb.png

thank you for showing me this FAkeSMC . everything is detected, before it was just the hdd. the hackintosh now runs for about 20 hours without freezing due to the freezefix linked in the 7. post.

Still the clockrate of the gpu does not change.

again thanks a lot.

greetings!

• Like 1