ICH8 supports AHCI ?

20 posts in this topic

GA965-DS3, Asus P5B and Intel DP965LT are the three most popular mobo for Conroe, and all use ICH8.

But? Asus P5B and Intel DP965LT give AHCI option is bios setup menus, while the 965-DS3 did not give. (that indicates the sata ports from ICH8, not the added chipset Jmicron),

I am not sure of that, because I do have Asus P5B and Intel DP965LT.

If you are using them, can you confirm that the two be able to choose the AHCI mode for ICH8 sata ports?

Or any one know there are ways to set the AHCI mode of ICH8 sata port for GA965-DS3.

The official documents from Intel say NO,

but some products gives the support, even the mobo from Intel itself.

The most I can tell you is my GA-965p-DS3 has a settomg om the bios for the intel chipset

it says "SATA native mode" and you can enable it and disable it.

The only setting in the bios that has anything to do with AHCI is for the jmicron controller.

I downloaded the manual of intel dp965 and and asus p5b, and find the option for AHCI mode for ICH8.

Now, I think that difference could be caused by bios. The Asus and Intel use the bios from the manufacturers, but Gigabity uses Awards bios. Maybe new bios would give the option.

I don't what the "Sata Native Mode" means excactly.

• 3 months later...

Yes P5B has choice between IDE or AHCI, I had to use AHCI to install Mac OS X 10.4.8, but now I can't install WinXP to the same HD in AHCI mode :D

I installed JM363 AHCI drivers for winxp now it's on SATA hd JM363 AHCI mode, and the Mac OS X SATA on ICH8 in AHCI mode.

If I manage to get Mac OS working with JM363 I plan to install winXP on the same drive just to be able share files.

If anybody knows how to install winXP on SATA ICH8 in AHCI mode let me know.

See this post to enable booting OS X when ICH8 controller is set to IDE mode.

link

The vendor and device ID for all ICH8 chipsets is the same. Make sure you clear out the extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache prior to reboot.

If you implement this fix on your hackintosh please post a reply as someone in another thread flamed me for posting this information stating it wasn't 'relevant'.

See this post to enable booting OS X when ICH8 controller is set to IDE mode.

link

The vendor and device ID for all ICH8 chipsets is the same. Make sure you clear out the extensions.mkext and extensions.kextcache prior to reboot.

If you implement this fix on your hackintosh please post a reply as someone in another thread flamed me for posting this information stating it wasn't 'relevant'.

Did it work for you? Is the performance as good as in AHCI mode?

By the way I'm posting this from Mac OS Safari, yes got internet working.

Thanks to:

http://www.necnet.de/krass.man/Installers/...0Installer.html

PO. I also noticed that now I can see second HD (with winXP) on JM363 in AHCI when I'm using Mac OS (on another SATA HD connected to ICH8 in AHCI)

Played video located on winXP partition no problems playing.

Edited by vasiliy

Yes, it works for me, I did the testing and write-up =).

Benchmarks with xbench showed excellent HD throughput, ~72MB/s reads on a WD Raptor 74GB disk. Burst speed was obviously a bit lower since IDE/compat mode forces the SATA controllers to present themselves as ATA100 controllers.

Install Window XP on AHCI mode is very easy.

For Asus Motherboard, boot up the driver disk that comes with the box.

You will see a menu that create ICH8R driver for winxp. Afterward, you need a floppy to finish the installion.

Use the disk you created for your XP installion!

Hi Oleg,

My MB is Asus P5B, it has ICH8 not ICH8R.

I tried F6 with with drivers from intel but there is only ICH8R, it didn't work for me.

Vasilii

Info from Intel web site:

Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug.

Note: AHCI requires Intel® Matrix Storage Manager software and is built into chipsets with the following controller hubs:

* Intel® 82801HR/HH/HO I/O Controller Hub (ICH8R) - RAID and AHCI

* Intel® 631xESB/632xESB I/O Controller Hub - RAID and AHCI

* Intel® 82801GHM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7MDH) - RAID only

* Intel® 82801GBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7M) - AHCI only

* Intel® 82801GR I/O Controller Hub (ICH7R) - RAID and AHCI

* Intel® 82801GH I/O Controller Hub (ICH7DH) - RAID and AHCI

* Intel® 82801FR I/O Controller Hub (ICH6R) - RAID and AHCI

* Intel® 82801FBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH6M) - AHCI only

ICH8, ICH7 and ICH6-based chipsets, as well as ICH5 and ICH5R-based chipsets, do not use AHCI. - http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/sb/cs-012304.htm

"SATA native mode" is not the same as AHCI.

It is up to the motherboard manufacturer to include AHCI support in the BIOS -> A BIOS update might give you AHCI whereas you did not have it before.

AHCI is very good for OSX since on a HDD controller working in AHCI mode SMART enabled monitoring programs can read HDD temperatures for each drive whereas only for one, a few or some connected to a SATA controller running in IDE, "native" or "enhanced" mode (again depending on your BIOS and controller I guess).

If you have installed Windows when your HDD controller was in anything but AHCI mode you can always update your install by doing this:

1) Install drivers for other controller in Windows (e.g. JMB36x, Sil3132 etc). Download AHCI drivers for your main controller (or keep them on CD or whatever).

2) Move HDD that you boot from to that other controller and set your BIOS to boot from that.

3) Change your setting for your main controller to AHCI.

4) Boot Windows.

5) Windows detects new hardware. Follow installation instructions and install your AHCI drivers.

6) Move your HDD back to the original controller and keep it in AHCI mode but change your BIOS to boot from that.

7) Smile or do something that makes you happy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...