Hackintosh Project Please Help

5 posts in this topic

Hello forum

Now I know this is probably not the best place for I post like this but I would really appreciate it if someone were to read my post and answer some of my questions.

This is the parts list for the hackintosh that I intend to build. I will be running OS X Mavericks on it.

Parts List:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H ATX LGA1150

Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1

Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower

Corsair 600W ATX12V

My Questions

1. Are all these parts good? Do any have problems? Could any parts be swapped for better parts for around the same price?

2. Are all of these parts 100% compatible out of the box?

3. Is this all I need to build a computer? (aside from the mouse, keyboard and monitor) if I buy only these parts is this everything I need for the complete build? Will I need extra cooling? (case comes with 3 fans)

4. If there are any other concerns about this build of things that I should be aware of then can you please let me know below.

Thankyou

Hello and welcome Larry!

1. Define "good" ;-) I've of your selected parts they perform quite good. But if you will wait a few month there will newer parts that do even better. It's the game as always in the IT-sector... Despite of the graphics card all parts are state of art and do well. I would get 500W PSU. imho are 600W a bit overpowered...

2. Check our HCL --> http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page All parts have already been used in hackintoshs and guides are available. Afaik is no mobo working 100% oob...

3. You should get the Xeon as boxed version or you will need a cooler. Third party cooler are often more quiet than the Intel stock cooler, but will cost a additional amount of 15€/20$ til... let's say open end. Give the Intel stock cooler a try. You can swap it later if needed. Only additional parts could a screwdriver and maybe same sticking-plaster if you're not used to work with tools.

Argh, there is an additional part: a legal copy of OSX.

4. No.

Good luck!

Maybe you got me wrong, the gtx660 is a nice card with decent performance, but it's successor is already out in the wild (or an the shelfes ;-) ). And it works out of the box.

If I would build that rig, I'd save same money by a smaller (~500W) psu and invest in faster graphics card (nvidia: gtx660 ti, gtx76; amd: r9 270x, hd7950). Well, prices depend on your favourite stores, so it's difficult to say with card model exactly. 

Best regards

• 4 weeks later...