First G5 mod finished - but how to install the OS?

SpiderMonkey

5 posts in this topic

My old G5 PowerPC has finally received a new breath of live with a brand new Intel i7-4770K on a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC motherboard. Need not say that it runs like a dream even without overclocking, which of course was expected considering how slow the old system was.

Ubuntu installed without a glitch - hands down this is the better OS, but I do need OS X installed too.

Here, the following problem emerged - in order to install the latest Mavericks, I need MacOS 10.6.8 or above.  The old hard drive still has the 10.4.1 for PowerPC, which is of no use.  Do I really need to install Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion before installing Mavericks?  Can I use another Mac do donwoload Mavericks and create installation USB flash drive without installing an older OS first?

My guess is that this problem has appeared here before as G5 mods are common.

ps - the G5 mod looks brilliant and I'm very pleased with it. Totally worth the time and money spent and is a lot of fun too.  Will post some pictures when I get the optical and hard drives installed and running.

What would be the preffered method to install Mavericks?  I've been looking at [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and myHack and not sure which one to choose.  Are there others?  Which one would work the best for a first time installer?

So as you can see... the link you have posted was to he who shall not be named. There are many reasons for this... check the replacement link out for more info.

I have OS 10.8.2 running in a VM. I bought 10.6.3 from Apple and then upgraded the VM to 10.6.8 to get me access to the app store to download 10.8.x. There are soooooooo many resources here, most being towards the top of the forum on how to get just about any flavor of OSX to run on just about any hardware config you can throw at it. The best suggestion that I have is for you to search the forums for some help. Then find a sub-forum that gets you most of the way there... then read and read and read. Ask questions, but read first. Remember that the people here are helping because they want to help... not because of any obligation.

Hopefully this'll help you along the way!