how do I know my I need a DSDT patch for my onboard ethernet?

mrjayviper

7 posts in this topic

my motherboard has a RTL8111e onboard NIC. I've been using the driver from this link. With this driver, I can connect to the net without the need of using "ethernet builtin=yes" in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

I'm just wondering now do I still need a DSDT patch. 

thanks very much

Patch the dsdt for the ethernet is unnecessary, it is useful to extract and patch the dsdt to get the sleep functioning, to speed up the boot or to recognize the devices that otherwise would not work or would work evil.

the kext that you are using is more than suitable; the ethernetbuiltin string is necessary to imessage working

Sorry for my english

• Like 1

EthernetBuiltIn=yes is not a driver, it has absolutely nothing to do with being able to connect to the internet or not.

Having the built-in property set for your primary LAN (en0) is required for a ton of stuff to work properly on OS X, not just Messages, Facetime, the App Store and iCloud.

For example, some software will generate registration data using the MAC address of your built-in ethernet as seed. This will not work if your primary LAN does not have the built-in property set.

The Built-In property can be set with EthernetBuiltIn=y, through device properties string or via DSDT patch. Never use more than one of these at the same time unless you specifically know what you're doing.

When using EthernetBuiltIn=y (and GraphicsEnabler=y) also setting PCIRoot=1 maybe required on some motherboards, in cases where Chameleon is unable to detect the correct PCIRoot and defaults to 0.

A Device Properties String generated with gfxutil (or any of the click-once-wreak-havok helper tools that use it) will set the correct PCI root as well, additionally when patching DSDT you can, if needed, patch a bit of code that allows Chameleon to detect the PCI Root correctly. This is also known as the "Tequila Fix". :yes:

We have thousands of posts and topics from the past 8 years about this if you want to know more!

Nobody can tell you if you need a DSDT patch because you haven't said anything about what problem you are trying to solve.

• Like 1

I asked the question because I'm wondering if I can easily fix my icloud problem (can't login. unable to sign in because of a problem communicating with iCloud).

I'm just wondering if having IOBuiltin=true on NetworkInterfaces.plist (even with ethernet builtin option is not present in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist) is enough so I don't have to mess around with DSDT patches. :)

not really worried about icloud/facetime/imessage as I have a macbook retina I can use for those. just trying to "complete" the job. :)

thanks very much

As I said, there are three ways to set the BuiltIn property. Modifying NetworkInterfaces.plist is not one of them. That file is governed by the network control panel, and will revert to reflect whatever your current configuration actually is, on the next reboot.

It may be useful to delete that file if you have several wired ethernet devices and need a specific one to be en0. After setting the built-in property for a particular device, deleting this file before rebooting will ensure that the device that has the built-in property set will be recognized as en0 on next boot, and NetworkInterfaces.plist will regenerate to reflect that.

You can check in System Profiler/System Information or with IORegistryExplorer if your en0 is really seen as built-in.

I guess it's possible that your 8111 somehow registers as built-in without you having to do anything. I've never heard of this happening to anyone though.

That's all there is to it, the rest is superstition and bad advice. lol

• Like 2

I have attached your screenshot to your post.

Please don't use external image hosting, having the screenshot hosted locally will guarantee that it will always be available, in the same place as the information that it represents.

Use the full editor to attach files. In cases where a ceratin filetype is not allowed, zip it before attaching.

IOBuiltIn is true in IORegistryExplorer. That's it.

Whatever other issues you might have with Facetime/Messages/iCloud/App store might have to do with your AMD CPU and having to use a patched kernel.

It's also important that you use a correctly configured smbios.plist with contents that match the DMI data of the Mac that has the particular model identifier you are using.