Can't seem to boot mavericks on new built PC. Help!

The_Shadow

14 posts in this topic

ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA ...

EVGA 02G-P4-2645-KR GeForce GT 640 2GB 128-bit ...

Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz ...

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) ...

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 ...

Hello, above are the specs for a computer I have recently built, and I am having trouble installing OSX to it.  I have tried installing mavericks via the two tutorials listed here, via both myHack and rockinron's extensive guide.  I have even tried installing snow leopard via usb using methods described here, and even *gasp* methods described on the t*nymac forums, all of which seem to come with their own sets of problems.  The myHack method seems to yield nothing, just a blank gray screen when I try and boot from the USB, and rockinron's method yields a panic kernel.  Is there something wrong with this hardware?  Am I missing some crucial and separate step somewhere?  Please help, I don't need a $800 paperweight laying on my desk.

did you try with cloverUEFI?

Is your ROM pmpatched, it would be useful, powermanagement is locked:

$:\BIOSWORX>pmpatch Z75PRO32.00 Z75PRO32-pmpatched.00
PMPatch 0.5.14
PowerManagement modules not found.
PowerMgmtDxe/PowerManagement2.efi modules not found.
Trying to apply patch #1
Nested PowerManagement module at 003C7504 patched.
AMI nest module at 00247240 patched.
Phoenix nest modules not found.
CpuPei module at 0075A548 not patched: Patch pattern not found.
Output file generated.

coderush wrote an excellent guide howto pmpatch. At least you should be able to boot with clover and nullcpupowermanagement.kext.

This is difficult, because I can't post anywhere else, so I'll ask here.

I'm trying to install clover UEFI on to a usb drive, but when I did it at first, the computer simply wouldn't boot from UEFI like it says in the guide (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293842-guide-mavericks-on-hp-probookelitebook-laptops-with-clover-uefi-bootloader/), so then, I tried to install it to the drive again, adn thought "oh, I'm dumb, I should have ticked the box that says 'UEFI motherboard' on it.  I tried this, but now Clover doesn't seem to want to install to my partition on my USB.  For reference, I should be opening the .pkg file from my macbook, and attempting to install it to my FAT formatted GUID partition on my USB drive, yes?

Ok, tried initial install.  When the osx was done installing, the computer restarted, and then the screen went blank.  Nothing.  When I was installing, I had the same problem I was having before with the disk utility and the HDD, which is that I can't seem to re-partition it, like you can with the other drives (the usb for instance), can't delete the partition, and the drop-down bar, the minus sign and the 'options' button are all greyed out.  I'm not sure if this is the or even a problem, but it seemed strange.  What should I be doing after the initial installation?  And is this peculiarity of the HDD something I should be worried about?

Also, I don't know if I mentioned, but I am installing this on a newly built PC with no other OS installed, and some of these guides seem to imply that they are being dual booted from a computer that has windows installed on it.  Should I be doing that?  Should I Install windows, and proceed from there, or is that not necessary?

*Update*

I have installed OSX, and "Mac OSX" has appeared in the boot screen when I press F11 at startup.  It did nothing.  So I went ahead and booted from the usb stick with the Mac disk on it again, and I am now at a different install screen.  Will post details.

*update*

Mountain Lion now appears to be on the computer, but I am now afraid to turn it off.  Is the where the postinstall comes in?  This is the farthest I've gotten in months, So thank you Pimentel.  Is there a guide somewhere for postinstallation that I can just read through?  I don't want to take up too much of anyone else's time.

Wait, good lord, is clover the postinstall program?  No wonder I've had so much trouble.  I wish somebody had told me sooner.  Will be back.

*Update*

I have installed clover to my new HDD, but It doesn't seem to have changed anything, particularly what appear to be my two main problems at this point:  1) That the computer won't boot from the HD normally, it stills need to boot from the USB stick with the Mountain Lion boot, and 2) the OSX install isn't recognizing my both wireless card and the ethernet plug from the motherboard, and won't connect to the internet.

I suspect these problems have something to do with kexts, or something like that, but I must admit that I don't know what those are, and also I am confused about how to get the computer to boot up on it's own without a USB stick stuck in it.

Thanks for bearing with me thus far.

Hello

i was too busy so....

Clover for you to read and try to understand: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Contents

The post-installation is as follows for many mobos UEFI... REMEMBER: UEFI must be enable in Bios

Installs Clover. Use google to find it, put CLOVER BOOTLOADER, you'll find it.
You must choose the following options:
* Install mobo is UEFI ...
* Install Clover in the ESP
* Choice some UEFI Driver 64 if you need
* Do not install RC script
* Install Clover prefpane

Install FAkeSMC and NullCPUPM (for a generic power management) with Kext Wizard

Configure the file config.plist for those who are beginner can be very laborious, so put in here your config.plist(it's a very important file...)

But don't forget that you have to study about Clover, so that in future you can configure the system for yourself.

• Like 2

I can't seem to install clover on my hard drive when I choose 'install for uefi' or 'install in ESP'.  The 'install in ESP' button says I should format my ESP as Fat32 first.  Should I do this?  Is this what's causing the clover install to fail?  And what do you mean UEFI must be enabled in BIOS?  I can't find anything in the BIOS that says 'enable UEFI'.

*Update*

The main problem seems to be tyhat Clover isn't mounting the EFI partition automatically, like I think it should be (all the guides seem to imply that this is an automatic process).  Trying to mount the ESP with the terminal causes the clover installer to claim the the target HD has no free space.

The install log that appears on my USB stick after the failed installation says '/Volumes/usb not found'.  There's no folder on my Mac called volumes, which I think is where the installer is looking for my usb stick.  Is there some way around this?  Do later versions of OSX keep Harddrives and such in 'Volumes'?  Running 10.6.8

You can't use a GTX 640 on 10.6.8, Kepler video cards didn't exist then and therefore the nvidia drivers don't support it. You will be running in framebuffer mode with no hardware acceleration. Think Windows Safe Mode.

But at least you can now download Mavericks from the App Store and install that using 10.6.8 as a base.

Generally, your hardware is too new to run Snow Leopard. Your CPU and chipset did not exist then either.

But yes /volumes does exist.

If /Volumes/usb is "not found" that means that there is no volume with the name "usb" mounted on the system. I'm not familiar with Clover or UEFI mode, but volume labels are kind of important.

Well, installing Mavericks on my other computer(not the one I'm building) in order to get clover to install properly has worked, but now clover won't boot up my system properly.  I'm not sure what's going on.  When I had a usb drive with clover installed for non-UEFI boards, the whole install process was going fine.  When I re-did the USB for UEFI boards, the computer won't boot properly.  I get to the clover screen, and tell it to boot from the USB drive, or from the OSX installation, and nothing.  Have I configured CLover wrong?  Why did it start before, and not now?