Want to install native

GP1138

9 posts in this topic

So I have this generic 10.4.6.install.dvd.iso image that I want to patch or modify somehow to include the driver I need to get Darwin to recognize my ATI chipset. How would I go about doing that, the JaS patch does not work, and I can't find any other patches. I do not want to use VMWare, as if I do I will be limited to 15GB. If I can boot native I will repartition the drive with Disk Utility.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

You have to find out if your chipset is supported by the OS.

Did you install this OS on this chipset before?

If you do not know if this chipset is supported go here and

look for your mainboard or chipset.

I've had OS X installed on this computer successfully before, I just did it through VMWare. It's the ATI x200 chipset.

So what message or what you think that this OS is not working on your chipset?

What?

I'm asking how I would go about adding the correct chipset drivers to my OS X86 10.4.6 install DVD. I know the chipset is supported once a driver is added, but I want to install natively without VMWare, and I need to know how to modify my DVD image to make that possible.

The only thing I know about booting native with ATI involves patching the JaS 10.4.6 DVD using the JaS PPF1 file.

I didn't know that VMWare imposed a 15 GB limit on installing to a bootable disk partition. This wouldn't bother me since I use a 15 GB to install OSX to. I then set up another large partition to store all my data on. The advantage is if I need to wipe my OS and reinstall, all of my data is on another partition, so I'm up and running in no time. I only have to back up a couple files in my User directory (like Mail). In fact, I have two OSX partitions so I can boot one and work on the other in case of a problem.

I didn't know that VMWare imposed a 15 GB limit on installing to a bootable disk partition.

VMware doesn't, but my hard disk's partition setup does. I have Windows MCE 2005 on my main partition, and then the other 12 or so GB are what used to be my HP laptop's "restore" partition, which I promptly deleted. Problem is, I fill that up in no time. I'd love to have 20GB even.

Hey Shaun! How goes it??