Getting started: Gaming & Graphic Design (and girlfriend)

4 posts in this topic

EDIT: Oops, I just notices the sticky about buying advice. I'm not sure where to put this post based on the sub forum topics. :/

Hello Everyone,

I realize that you guys are probably bombarded with posts such as this, but perhaps some of you still have a bit of patience left to help out someone diving into the world of Hackintosh.

After four years with my first every Mac (Early 2009, Macbook Pro 17"), I have decided that it is time for a new computer. The problem is that while I really enjoy OS X, the current computer offerings from Apple just don't work for my needs. As a graphic designer and gamer, I need a system that allows me to get the best gaming/graphics experience I can, while still allowing me the freedom to choose parts/monitors that work for my tastes.

In addition, I am also going to surprise my girlfriend with an identical machine so she can continue to enjoy the games she loves (She is a Guild Wars 2 fanatic ).

So, lets start with my goals.

Goals:

- Great Gaming Experience (Windows 8)

I am looking to build a system that will allow me to play the games I own such as Guild Wars 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum/City/Origins, Call of Duty, Company of Heroes 2, Skyrim, and Dead Island, with the highest FPS/Quality possible (within the budget), and keep me going until the next upgrade.

- Great Graphics Experience (OS X)

Being that I am a graphic designer I need a system that will allow me to take advantage of modern design suites (CS6), and be able to handle the often large file sizes. I also use a Wacom drawing tablet (and may upgrade to a Cintiq), and need the system to eliminate as much lag as possible while drawing. 

- OS X & Windows

I currently dual-boot, and would like to retain this option. The system would have to allow me to reliably run both operating systems. I will be running OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1.

- Dual and/or Triple Monitor Support

While not a big requirement for gaming, I do like having multi-monitor support while I work. Ideally I would be able to run multiple monitors, with the option of a third in the form of a monitor, or external TV. 

- Budget

Like everyone, I would like to try and keep this reasonable. One of the reasons why I have opted to go with a Hackintosh is because of the cost to value ratio of something like an iMac. Ideally I would be able to get the best bang for my buck, while still keeping the cost equal to, or less than the value of a new iMac. 

$1000 - $2300 range.

- Extras

In terms of extras. I am considering the following. 

• Blu-ray Drive (not necessary)
  • Gaming Mouse 
  • Multiple USB Ports (iPhone, iPad, 3 External HD's, Wacom Tablet, Logitech Gaming Headset, Portable HD's, Canon D800 Camera)
  • Bluetooth Support (Wireless Apple Keyboard)

Anything else you can think of, please feel free to suggest it.

- Day to Day use

Other than gaming and graphic design, I use my computer for the standard activities such as watching movies, listening to music, surfing the web, etc. I would say that watching movies is a higher priority here, and would like to be able to play 720p & 1080p movies without stuttering issues.

_____

Ive vey spent the last few months gathering information on what is the best for my needs, and I have come up with the following:

CPU                      Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
GPU Cooler         Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard       Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H ATX LGA1150
Memory               Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600

Storage                Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" SSD     x2

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

GPU                      EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB

Case                     Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply       Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

Monitors                Asus PA248Q 24.1"       x2

OS                          OS X Mavericks

Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)

Other                      Bluetooth Adapter

Logitech 400s Mouse

Total: $2500.00

Using that as my starting point, here are my questions for you guys.

1. Do you foresee any compatibility issues (Win 8.1 and/or OS X)?

2. Are there any places where I am over/under powered?

3. Are there any components which I should seriously consider alternatives?

4. Am I missing anything?

Based on your feedback I will be ordering parts in the next week or so. I just want to make sure my lack of knowledge, combined with my desire to have my games look amazing, hasn't clouded my judgment for what I really need. 

I really appreciate any help and advice you guys have. It has been a while since I built a custom PC, so I have a lot of catch-up to do in terms of learning the terms and such, but I'm excited to get learning.

Thanks,

CLM

I don't think you can use the Windows 8.1 OEM, it's made to be installed on OEM computers (pre-built).

EDIT: It does work, but the license will be attached to your computer, so if your computer dies, so does your Windows license.