Nvidia Quadro 4000 bad performance

styrian

7 posts in this topic

Does anybody know, how to unleech the performance? Card is dedected by Chameleon with GE=Yes and running stable under SMBios of MP 5,1, but performance is a third less as with a GT 8800. I can exclude a defective card, because it`s performance on Win is within the normal range. AGPM is edited and so far working. It´s ID is included in the Nvidia kexts.

Thanks in advance.

I've got this card running on my hack. Like you, AGPM is edited and working. Have always needed GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRootUID=0 and npci=0x2000 to boot.

As for performance, I've never had a serious reason to think it's less than it should be - more of the intensive stuff I do with it is in Windows though. Can you provide benchmark scores on Win and OS X to compare?

With Cinebench 11.5 I get on the OpenGL test on OSX 10 8.5 about 23 fps and on the old WinXP in 32 bit mode, I had about 52 fps with the Quadro 4000 (Pc version).  With the old GT 8800 I have got with the same test about 30 fps.

I have the same settings on Chameleon like you. But the problem seems to be, that the display shows up in Ioreg under NVDA display "B", equal if it is attached to the DVI or to the middle DP port with DVI Adapter. Bus-with in Systemprofiler is shown with 2,5 GTs and should be, if I am right, 5 GTs. The second DP, on the outside situated, is under OSX not recognized.

I must trust the OpenGL result of Cinebench, because Maxon is supporting MacOS since the times of the first ppc platform is used with it and the resullts for the GT 8800 are in the same range on OSX and Win. I have done a vanilla install with unaltered NVDA and Geforce kexts. Also the NVDA Web drivers don´t better the results.

I think, that I have to make an  EFI string, to get the ports of the Quadro in the correct way dedected.

If I remember rightly, my Cinebench came in at around the 49-50 fps mark for OSX (basically the same as your Windows result), so you're probably right to assume that the numbers you're getting are correct.

Other than that, I can't offer any further suggestions unfortunately, seeing as we basically did the same things to get the card running. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help out...

• 4 years later...

i just ran into the same problem but i have two different scenarios.

the first one is booting with clover. in this case the card runs in some sort of economy mode with poor performance compared to what it could offer (about 15%).
the second one is when i boot with chameleon. in that case the card seems to run at full speed constantly and the performance is at max. the problem however is that this way it gets crazy hot very quickly and the fan doesn't go up at all.

so for some reason the card seems to be stuck at one specific performance level and the fan doesn't react at all. would be great if anyone had some insight. maybe other cards show a similar behavior.

i'm using the current webdrivers for 10.8.5 and 10.12.6. not using the webdrivers made no difference in regards to what i described above.

• 2 weeks later...

it turned out this "turbo mode" is caused by Cpu0Ist. with that disabled the card is in eco mode and without doing anything, i.e. Cpu0Ist is on, turbo mode kicks in.
so i'm obviously missing something in regards to AGPM and/or CPM. as before, any insight would be welcome!