Intel Rapid Storage Technology

pfilipp

4 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

today I started wandering what will happen if I create IRST with windows and will try to access that volume under OS X. 

I am using parallels for games and use my bootcamp but sadly not all the games are working and for example NFS Most Wanted 2012 is crashing whole virtual machine.

Back on topic. As far as I understand IRST causes ssd drive to work as bufor for data. So the complete data should be on hdd, am I right? It's different from Fusion Drive where ssd works as logical part of whole volume and data stored on ssd is not available and written onto hdd.

On the other hand IRST is some kind of RAID so I assume it won't be possible to see hdd under OS X.

Does anyone have any experience with IRST and Hackintosh?

Thanks in advance :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Some thoughts on topic:

I finally decided to buy SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD which supports ExpressCache software. It is not as low level implemented as Smart Response and doesn't require RAID mode. 

Yet it still fails to operate correctly. 

At first everything was looking great till I rebooted into OS X and tried Parallels. After 15minutes Parallels connected HDD and succesfully upgraded Widnows drivers. System was working without ExpressCache this way of course. I rebooted Windows in Parallels and this time it booted well. 

The problem showed up when I tried to boot natively into Windows - without Parallels. Windows had to update drvrs again what took some time. After every booting into Parallels windows was updating drvrs and every boot into windows itself it was updating drvrs. Also cache was dissapearing every time. So it is pointless. When I thought about it I understood that it could not work as cache has to 'be there' when system changes ANYTHING on system partition.

I didn't try Smart Response as it is less possible to work than ExpressCache as it requires RAID and installing Windows in RAID mode. Also Mac OS doesn't like RAID :P

That's it! I think this topic can be closed.

• 2 years later...