Slow install? I mean SLOW install!

mcnattyp

8 posts in this topic

I've searched the forums and some people are mentioning slow installs like 30 minutes, no response for minutes at a time, etc.

I've got them all beat. I'm coming up on 24 hours of install time now and just got the -v line "Launching Crash Reporter", which, based on a previous VMWare install, I know is nearly the end of the black-screen install process.

It initially flew through to "BSD root: disk1s3, major 14, minor 5", then each line is a couple hours wait-time. I only let it continue because I occasionally heard the DVD spin up like it was seeking.

At this point, I'm game to let it continue, but does anyone have any suggestions? I've not plugged in anything on the USB ports. The BIOS would not allow disabling USB Legacy. I'm using JaS 10.4.6. PPF Patched with -v -x platform=ACPI.

Specs are:

Compaq v2000 laptop

Turion 64 1800 CPU

1.5 GB RAM

ATI x200m chipset

7200x HDD

NAT

I'm coming up on 24 hours of install time now and just got the -v line "Launching Crash Reporter", which, based on a previous VMWare install, I know is nearly the end of the black-screen install process.

Crash Reporter ONLY gets launched if things are crashing. Which an install taking more than 30 minutes or so should have tipped you off.

Booting with -x puts you in safe mode which disables some key things. Not sure what that would do to an installer.

Here is a description of what Safe Mode does: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=202373

The Crash Reporter is coming up directly after:

(Datetime) localhost lookupd[37]: Netinfo connection failed for server 127.0.0.1/local

I assume that to be an innocuous message since the NIC in my laptop needs to hacking to get working.

I just got another line in the installer:

(Datetime) localhost lookupd[37]: ni_statistics:Communication failure

Which, again, points to the lack of a NIC.

Try burning another DVD at the slowest setting. Also see if there is a newer BIOS available for your laptop, then disable as much as possible.
I'm going to let this one ride out and will try the BIOS and new DVD option you suggest next.

NAT

I was getting a LOT of lookupd[37] error messages, so I cancelled the install. I'm trying VMWare again now.

There were no available BIOS updates for my laptop.

Good luck with the x200. I've got the same problem, though you've gotten further than I have.. I can't even get the damned thing to recognize my chipset yet.

I got the same notebook, have the same problem, cant load into the Mac OS setup menu. from my pervious experience, the only way i know how to get this to work is backup the HD image, use ghost or any kind of backup softwhere, and restore back to the notebook.

• 3 months later...

I got the 10.4.7 JAS release to work on my V2000. If you're getting the Missing Operating System error, I suggest you boot using with the install DVD inside with absolutely NO options checked. It will boot in verbose mode nonetheless.

For those hanging on the language selection, it is slow, but I found that using a USB mouse helped the installation speed up. Also, if it seems to lock up, I also found disconnecting and connecting the mouse again seems to wake it up again! lol Yeah I know it's weird.

The install takes about 6 hours on my laptop with 1 gig of ram and a Turion 1.8Ghz checking off printer drivers, additional fonts and X11 while choosing the AMD patches and the ATI ATA patch and also Creative USB sound (I use that for sound hehe works flawlessly).

Although I did get it to work, I stopped working for some reason now. It shutdown during startup because of the AirPort kext I believe. I forgot to install the Wireless support patch last time, so I'll reinstall it again from scratch now again and see how it fares.