G73SW - 10.9 Install

jeffc2009

142 posts in this topic

Cool. I will grab the files :) Thanks

I have been reading this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/254053-agpm-on-fermi-laptop/page-2

Looks like the problem with the states is well known.... I am going to persevere with this because it can't being doing the card any good being stuck in the highest state all the time.

You appear to have G-states working though, it shows 50Mhz at rest. Is that screenshot taken using the stock AGPM?

If you plug in AC does it jump to the high 600's and stay there?

Ah ok. Well I might continue using iReddy for now, let me know if you come across anything else.

Btw, on a side note now that my re-paste is done, I both recommend doing it AND recommend never taking these apart. It is an awful design. However, it was completely worth it... I've seen xboxes pasted better... took me about 20 minutes just to clean the {censored} they used off, they used way too much as Chinese production lines usually do and no attention to detail.

Now look at my idle temps after 20 mins  ;)

post-570480-0-40251000-1383858110_thumb.jpg

Yeah really bad design.  I bought this laptop because of it's compatibility, but I am not buying another Asus product.

If you do go ahead, do this at the same time:

the button fix is down to preference, but removing that crappy film is a must.

Points to remember:

1. Asus have used really thin cheap wiring on a lot of the connectors, they are weak so be careful.

2. When cleaning the cheap paste off the CPU and GPU, be wary of tiny surface mount components near the shiny contact surface - they will most likely be covered in excess paste and easy to skim off: http://photos.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/core-i7-mobile-internal-shot.jpg

3. The GPU needs different viscose non conductive paste for it's RAM and other components, if in doubt just do the shiny main contact area

4. If you are going to the trouble of doing this, use a decent paste like MX4.

5. The keyboard is stuck in with sticky tape as well as the clips at the top, use a pry tool and be careful (if the top plastic layer separates from the keyboard at the edges, it will clip back in)

6. While you are in there, give the whole thing a blow out with compressed air, and remove any dust from the fans where they meet the heat fins

7. There are a zillion screws, so keep them in a logical order... unlike some other systems there are subtle differences in size/length etc.

Just had a look at the GS70... looks very nice indeed. If you go down that route and get on well, please let us know ;) I might join you at some point.

Thanks Jeff, install was flawless. Allot easier than 10.8. However, I can't get backlight to work after sleep. I did use migration tool to restore apps after install, but It didnt change any sys kexts...I have no idea why it is not working. Worked fine on 10.8. Any suggestion?

@youngwake, I just remembered a trick I used to get the backlit working in ML.

1. Download Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and boot from it, when it loads click Try Ubuntu.

2. Mess with the keyboard backlit keys (FN+F3/F4) then set to full brightness.

3. Reboot into Mac OS - They should be working before and after sleep.

4. If you shutdown and they aren't on at next boot, they should still work after sleep.

DO NOT press the 'Lights Out' key or you will have to repeat this trick. You only have 1 level though, and no F3/F4 keys to change brightness, but it's a start.

Maybe asusg73 can share how he got the backlit working with multiple levels using the FN keys.

Let me know if it works for you :)

Also @jeff, you don't have to use GUID tables if you are installing from olarila source. I couldn't dual boot when I used GUID, but MBR worked just fine.

Usually when i install os x, I try to keep my hard drives separate from windows.  It's just a preference!

Nice one Jeff, I have been away on business the last few days but will try the updated kexts when I get back tomorrow. Do you have the ability to change backlit levels with the modified DSDT?

Glad it's working for you youngwake. :-D

• Like 1

Cool. The new kexts seem a bit faster when loading the OS and also in general. Everything works for me except the backlit kb, but I seem to remember my model had the same issue in ML. I'll have to have a play over the next few days - but overall, really pleased Jeff - thank you. :)

I've got:

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4140

Could your battery be on it's way out? I've head these Asus batteries aren't great once they start ailing.

But one thing I have noticed today is the system freezing a lot. I am running the freezefix app so I don't think it's that. Could be coincidental.

Not sure. It never does it in windows, so it's gotta be hack related, I suspect it's the same subtle differences in our hardware that cause my backlit keys not to work. I'll test those new files when I get back tomorrow :-)