OSx86 on a P4-M VPR Matrix notebook

eternalthree

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone successfully run OS X on a VPR Matrix laptop or a P-4 mobile cpu (which is capable of sse2 only)? I already have XP Home on the notebook and I tried to boot into OS X 10.4.6 Goatsecx off the dvd yesterday. After a while of loading, I saw the blue/grayish screen, and then it prompted me to choose my language. I tried to use the touchpad and the keyboard to select English but neither was responsive, so I wasn't able to choose English. Does this mean that OS X is probably not going to run on this notebook of mine? or should i try plugging in a USB keyboard and mouse?

I've read extensively and I guess the next thing to try would be to partition 10GB of the hard drive to HFS and install osx there if possible. Will any partitioning software work or does it have to be acronis disk director? My hd is currently formatted for NTFS. Will it need to be on FAT32 for the dual boot to work, or does that just enable me to share files between OSs?

My last question is does any of the mobo settings need to be changed or ram settings?

I'd appreciate any help I can get, and thanks for your time, folks. Have a good one.

I had to plug an external monitor in to install on a laptop - or do the 'wire trick' which involves crossing a couple of wires in the VGA socket. Otherwise it just hangs during install. I also found that OS X had to be on the first partition. you dont NEED Acronis, but I found it easier after GRUB caused a few problems...

You should format a FAT32 partition then format it with the Disk Utility in the Mac installer DVD for Mac OS X (journaled).

Then install! Remembering to select the customise options for your processor etc.

I never got ethernet (wired or wireless) working, which is why I moved swiftly onto my PC. This works fine :compress:) Still no audio atm, but hopefully will get that fixed soon ;o)

hope this helps....

You have Geforce 4 Go, so I dont belive its crashing, though you might as well try the wire trick or plug in a external monitor.

As for the partition, you can use anything. Make a PRIMARY Fat32 partition using "Diskmgmt.msc" or similar partitioning tool. Then use Disk Utility to format it to Mac Journaled.

Also if you -v -x, does it show any weird messages. Does the keyboard work in single user "-s" mode??? Give a USB keyboard a shot.

Aiya. OK, I will make a primary FAT32 partition (C:) and a secondary for xp Home to run off of (D:). I have a feeling I still wont be able to get audio though. I decided to go with XP home because I wasnt able to find audio drivers for a Soundmax on Vista RC1 even though Vista lists it as being supported.

At any rate, the season premiere of Lost is on tonight so maybe I’ll get back to this project next week if I’m able to find an audio solution to Vista. When I get to the part where I install OSX, I will use a usb mouse, keyboard, and an external display. And make sure the primary FAT32 partition is formatted by disk util to Mac Journaled. I will try –v and –x on the installation and see if it gives me a strange message or not. Thank you for the replies and your time. I love that comic strip too, Pearls Before Swine. Have a good one folks.

• 2 years later...

I know it has been a couple years since anyone has posted on this thread, but I am seriously considering trying my first attempt at installing on my VPR matrix laptop (http://www.vprmatrix.com/products_notebook_200A5.asp). I want to do IPhone development with the Xcode IDE and I can't afford a macbook.

I looked for a good place to get started. Closest thing I can find to that is the thread here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330

Should I just try to follow these instructions?

Also, this http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...cking-required/

Says it is pretty simple using the Kalyway, but I thought this method is different than the one above and may be the not way to go.

I'm really looking to get started. I have a decent amount of experience installing OS's.

Also, reading where it says use a Leopard OME will burning this image to a disk work? - http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/2796228...osx?tab=summary

• 4 months later...

Wow, it has been a LONG time.

So I d/l the IDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 build of OSX86 and installed it on my VPR Matrix. Took like 2.5 hours to install. Wow.

These are my notebook's specs:

Processor: Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 - M CPU 2.20GHz

Memory: 512M

Kernel: Linux version 2.6.8

Distro: Debian GNU/Linux -- Testing

Video: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 420 Go 32M] (rev a3)

Sound: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 02)

Ethernet: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter)

Modem: ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97

USB: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 50)

FireWire: Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

IDE: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c4)

After installing succesfully, it reboots but hangs on the apple logo screen. So I tried -v, and -x -v to see what error message pops up. The following are the last two lines that come up. And then ..... nothing.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers

_

If anyone's got any pointers or advice, I could sure use some, please. Thank you.

• 5 months later...
Wow, it has been a LONG time.

So I d/l the IDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 build of OSX86 and installed it on my VPR Matrix. Took like 2.5 hours to install. Wow.

These are my notebook's specs:

Processor: Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 - M CPU 2.20GHz

Memory: 512M

Kernel: Linux version 2.6.8

Distro: Debian GNU/Linux -- Testing

Video: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 420 Go 32M] (rev a3)

Sound: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 02)

Ethernet: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter)

Modem: ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97

USB: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 50)

FireWire: Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

IDE: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c4)

After installing succesfully, it reboots but hangs on the apple logo screen. So I tried -v, and -x -v to see what error message pops up. The following are the last two lines that come up. And then ..... nothing.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers

_

If anyone's got any pointers or advice, I could sure use some, please. Thank you.

I have the 185a5 1.8 GHz model. I was trying the same thing, with the same result. No combinations of custom install options seemed to help. Did you ever get it working? If so, what version/options worked for you?

Thanks in advance!

Djimi