Can't copy large files to SMB shares, Too large for filesystem

C.44

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

i've just updated to Mavericks and after the usual issues with hardware i now have a problem that i have zero ideas for. I have a server with a bunch of samba / smb shares that are on a EXT2 (or EXT3, can't remember exactly) filesystem. Under Mountain Lion this was no problem, however... Mavericks claims that big files, for instance a 4GB+ movie, is too large for the destination filesystem to handle.

The exact error message:

The item blablabla.bla can't be copied because it's too large for the volume's format.

Somehow this makes me think it see's the SMB share as a FAT32 or similar filesystem, which it obviously isn't. Anyone have any clues as to why this might be happening and how i can fix it?

Thanks in advance =)

Works definitely! I can copy files >= 4GB from WinXP/7 SMB share to Debian SMB share (mount -t cifs ...)  .... perhaps sty. like that might be your problem:

Link in german, sry for that :( :

http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/samba-max-filesize-limitation/#post-2127108

Cheers 

Goron

may be your server some how get up to FAT or exFAT file system. you could update your server first.

then you can try with a virtualbox and a server as your favorite with smb. If it is working then you can see where is the problem

Guys please read carefully.

I have a hackintosh with Mavericks on it. I also have a server with a couple samba (smb) shares. My server uses EXT filesystems and my server is just fine and didn't decide to switch filesystems on its own.

Mavericks sees the shares and can read from them just fine, but anything over 4GB won't copy from the Hackintosh to the SMB share using Mavericks. It works perfectly when i try to move the exact same 4GB+ file from my Hackintosh to the SMB share using Mountain Lion. This is not a server issue but a Mavericks issue! The same thing happens when you use actual Apple systems like real MacBooks, MacBook Pro's, iMac's and Mac Pro's. It's not Hackintosh related, not server related but Mavericks related.

Mavericks uses SMB2 which has some problems.  Instead of setting up your link as smb://someip/somevolume set up your link as cifs://someip/somevolume

This forces Mavericks to use SMB instead of SMB2.

• Like 1

Mavericks uses SMB2 which has some problems.  Instead of setting up your link as smb://someip/somevolume set up your link as cifs://someip/somevolume

This forces Mavericks to use SMB instead of SMB2.

I'll try to move a bigger file again tomorrow since i've moved my current files already using Mountain Lion. I will report back then. Thanks so far!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the EXACT same issue. I have a Western Digital My Book (2TB) external hard drive using the AFP protocol and I have Mavericks. Despite having many files over 4GB in size on the drive, I am completely unable to copy any new files over 4GB to the external drive. I have AFP networking enabled for the external drive (CIFS is not available). Is there any other utility other than the Finder (or Path Finder) that can copy large files? This is a disaster!