Unresponsive desktop while keyboard and mouse works - Mavericks

DK7

5 posts in this topic

hi guys, i got Mavericks up and running today. everything works fine but only one issue. randomly the desktop goes unresponsive while i can use my mouse and keyboard. meaning i can move the mouse pointer but i can't click anything like any apps, folders or the menu bar on the desktop. even shortcuts from the keyboard won't work while i can turn on and off the caps lock. it usually happens when i try to open an app folder or any menu bar item. I have no idea why this is happening. i still haven't experienced any crash or kernel panic either. what is the solution for this issue

Here is my system specs if it helps:

Intel Core i5 4670K

Gigabyte Z87-HD3 running latest UEFI BIOS

2x4GB G.Skill 2x2GB Kingston (both are non-xmp)

EVGA GTX 560

250GB Hitachi SATA II (Mavericks)

500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA III (Windows 8.1)

I, too, am having the same issue. Nothing suspicious in the system log either, just totally unresponsive system.

If I have music playing it will keep playing for a while and then eventually it too will stop and I have to hard-reset the system.

I am running 10.9 on a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L with an Intel E7600 Core2Duo.

Anyone else having this issue and/or know of a fix? I have turned off all sleeping under the Power Saving preference pane as well, so it shouldn't be related to the system trying to sleep. I also currently have the null intel power management kext loaded, along with FakeSMC. Those are the only two non-vanilla kext's I am using.

I think sleep, shutdown, and reboot work without any issues. I tested sleep specifically and only once the screen went unresponsive after wake and login. This is issue really makes no sense and mavericks doesn't recover from it too. Only way to recover is a hard reset as Eidola said

Just an update, I edited my AppleGraphicsPowerManagement Info.plist to add my specific card, and then I also removed the null power management kext... so far no crashes, I can sleep, my CPU and GPU speeds are changing based on load.

However, my GPU only seems to go between 405MHz and 720Mhz, I would assume there should be two more steps it could use?

No crashes yet... knock on wood! ;)