Cannot boot without -f flag

CaptainJack406

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been happily using ML on my Hackintosh (specs in my sig) and have recently upgraded to Mavericks. I simply installed it over the top of ML as I have far too many apps installed to be starting from scratch.

Everything seems to work fine but I cannot see to boot up without the use of the -f flag. Without it, the boot screen simply sits there with the rotating wheel. I have rebuilt my kext cache but I don't even have any mkexts in E/E or S/L/E. 

It *seems* to be related to my ACL662 AppleHDA kext as when I try and run kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel. I get some invalid signature message. I read that this is due to the kext being unsigned by Apple. The sound, however, seems to be working fine...

Any ideas?

CJ

Extensions.mkext hasn’t been used for quite some time now.  The kextcache is stored as: /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

​The “kextcache” command does not check for “signing”.  If it is complaining about signature, then there is something wrong with the AppleHDA.kext.  That is why kextcache can’t build a cache and you have to use -f to boot.  Make sure you have a backup of your AppleHDA.kext.  Then use something like Kext Wizard to reinstall it.  If that doesn’t help, then look on osx86.net for a Mavericks compatible ALC662 kext.  If all else fails, go back to your original AppleHDA.kext and put -f into your Boot.plist.

Hi rlf and thanks for the reply. 

Been doing some digging around and found this. The Hack boots fine without the -f flag if I remove AppleHDA from SLE but obviously no sound. I've read somewhere that a new FakeSMC (5.3) might solve it, so I installed that. Result: success! Now, I don't need to use -f flag... but... Sound stopped working and so has the Ethernet card and so has the shutdown (it hangs just before the unit is supposed to power down with "MACH reboot" in console). I have fixed the sound by using VoodooHDA but Ethernet still doesn't work, nor does it shut down properly.

So... I went back to the old FakeSMC (4.2.0) and everything is as before. Ahhhhh! Fix one thing, 10 others break... Fun, fun, fun!

Mind you, it boots a few seconds quicker with the new FakeSMC... which is nice.

Hmm... with the new FakeSMC, sound, shutdown and the network seems to be OK...but again, only when starting with the -f switch. Without the -f switch, the bootup is much quicker but no network or shutdown.

kvonlinee, what do I do with the kext utility software? Run it to rebuild cache and fix permissions?

Hmm... with the new FakeSMC, sound, shutdown and the network seems to be OK...but again, only when starting with the -f switch. Without the -f switch, the bootup is much quicker but no network or shutdown.

kvonlinee, what do I do with the kext utility software? Run it to rebuild cache and fix permissions?

yes.