Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Problem installing Mountain Lion on desktop (can't boot from USB)

3 posts in this topic

I've been trying to install Mac OS 10.8 on my desktop for the past couple of days but have been running into a ton of trouble. This PC isn't a Hackintosh, just a custom built PC that has parts that happen to be supported. Most of the problems occur when I try to boot from my USB drive containing the ML installation. My desktop doesn't detect a bootable installer on the drive unless it is for UEFI. This has only worked for iAtkos ML3U, but I ran into trouble with that, but that's another story. For all other things I've tried, such as iAtkos ML2 and Niresh, my desktop simply doesn't detect the boot media (resulting in the black screen and a blinking underscore). My parts are as follows:

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H (F7 BIOS)

GTX 770

2 TB HDD/ 120 GB SSD

I've tried to set my BIOS settings to everything that I've seen online and nothing has worked. I can provide more information if needed. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Tried that, and I can now boot the Mac OS installer from Clover but gives me an error. While it's loading the kernel cache, it shows something called a root uuid and then a series of + signs. Then nothing happens.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mr.Darkwraith
      Is it possible to install/run Android TV/x86 on the 1st generation Apple TV?
    • By Angelo_
      Hi guys, i'm trying to help a friend of mine trying to install osx(possibly high sierra) on his pc with the following specs: 
      Amd fx8350 
      Asrock 990fx extreme 3
      8gb of fury Kingston ddr3 ram(2x4)
      Radeon hd 7950
      128gb ssd( crucial m550)
      A couple of hdds I don't remember the brand(maybe a seagate barracuda and a dumb old disk for data)
      We tried to install it using the regular clover+high showers installer but we couldn't get it to reach the installer, then we tried osx-amd(don't know if i can talk about it there, sorry if i can't) and we still couldn't get to the installer.
      Is there a guide i can use to install osx in that machin, i tried to search in the forum but i couldn't find it.
    • By lucasrm654
      Eu instalei o Hackintosh, porem uso um Cougar 200k, meu teclado, e a tecla shift, windows e alt não funcionam, não executam função nenhuma, já o Ctrl funciona como Shift, gostaria de saber como eu posso atribuir funções a essas teclas que não fazem nada e mudar a função do Ctrl.
    • By Dallastyle
      Hello Insanelymac,
      I've successfully installed Mac OS X Sierra on 2 32gb flash drives with them as a JBOD Raid. I can only get into the hackintosh if I use another USB flash drive with Clover installed on it. I've tried using a clover installer however that just installs on my Raid Disk. I've also noticed that when I open clover configurator, there are 2 EFI partitions but both of them were empty. I've tried moving the contents of the EFI on my Raid disk that clover installed but my BIOS does not detect it. Also when I use the other flash drive to boot into clover, there is another volume called "BOOT OS X" right next to my Raid Disk Volume that I use to boot from. I just want to install and boot off of my Raid usb flash drives. Really running out of options, Thanks guys.
    • By Zsparrow0
      NOT WORKING   SD Card Reader (Use USB adapter ) Hibernation Nvidia Graphic Cards Fingerprint Reader Thunderbolt HotPlug REQUIREMENTS   Fresh installation One working OSX environment Whole disk available (No partitions) Knowledge in PLIST edition Backup Made (EVERYTHING WILL BE ERASED) Latest BIOS version 4k sector patch NVME WIFI CARD DW1560 (EFI FOLDER CONTAIN PATCH FOR THIS CARD ONLY)     1 - CREATE USB     Download High Sierra from AppStore Plug in your USB Key (16GB or More) Format it with Disk Utility and name it « MyVolume » Launch Terminal and type : sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume Mount the EFI partition /MyVolume/EFI/ with Clover Configurator (See in the EFI Folder) Copy the entire EFI folder linked to the post to /MyVolume/ 2 - BIOS SETTINGS   MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS CORRECT BEFORE CONTINUE OR IT WILL FAIL ON BOOT !     System Information          Check that Video Memory is already 64MB       Advanced Boot Options (all off)        System Configuration      SATA Operation (AHCI)      Drives (all on)      SMART Reporting (on)      USB Configuration (all on)      Dell Type-C Dock Configuration (on)      Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration (all on, no security)      USB PowerShare (on)      Audio (all on)      Touchscreen (on)      Miscellaneous Devices (all on except SD Card Reader)      CPU XD (on)      Secure Boot        Secure Boot Enable (disabled)      Intel Software Guard Extensions        Intel SGX Enable (Software-Controlled)      Performance        (Everything on/enabled)        Power Management        (USB Wake Support = off)      (Wake on Dell USB-C Dock = on)       Wake on WLAN (off)      Block Sleep (off)        Virtualization Support        (Everything on)    3 - BOOT PROCESS
        Start your computer and press F12 to open the boot menu Boot from your USB Key Select the "Installer from (Your usb key)" (Verbose mode is enable by default to see what's going on if it fail)   -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------     WAIT ! EVEN IF YOU THINK THAT THE LOADING BAR IS STUCKED IT COULD TAKE 5MIN TO LOAD ENTIRELY     IF IT FAIL SEE THE REHABMAN GUIDE BEFORE ASKING QUESTION     IF YOU CAN'T BOOT YOU CAN TRY TO USE A FAKE IG-PLATFORM GO TO THE CLOVER OPTION IN THE GRAPHIC PARTS AND USE A FAKE IG-PLATFORM SUCH AS 34567898764   ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------     4 - INSTALLATION   - Once arrived on the installation screen - Open Disk Utility and Erase your Main Hard Drive and format to : MacOS AFPS (not encrypted) - Go back to the installer continue and choose your Formated Hard Drive to install MacOS. - The computer will reboot after about 2 min - Press F12 to choose your usb key and hit ENTER   (YOU COULD HAVE 2 CHOICE DURING THE REBOOT : INSTALLER ON "YOUR DRIVE NAME" OR PRELOADER "YOUR DRIVE NAME". You have to use "Installer on your "drive name" in case it FAIL select the OTHER OPTION. You will have to do this twice if I remember correctly.   BE CAREFUL YOU HAVE TO ALWAYS BOOT ON YOUR USB KEY BECAUSE CLOVER IS NOT YET INSTALLED ON THE SYSTEM, SO PRESS F12 ON EVERY REBOOT AND CHOOSE YOUR USB KEY UNTIL CLOVER PROPERLY INSTALLED     5 - POST INSTALLATION   - Open Kext Wizard in My EFI folder - Click on installation tabs browse kext and select ALL THE KEXT IN USB/EFI/CLOVER/KEXT/OTHER - Make sure that the destination drive is your MAIN HARD DRIVE and press INSTALL - Once done go to MAINTENANCE TAB and select the radio button for System/Library/Extensions and press EXECUTE.   6 - RESTART WITHOUT USB   - Disconnect your usb and reboot normally, everything should work properly now.     !!! CONGRATULATION YOU DID IT !!!               if not...       Give us enough clear information in the comments section so we can help you to have this laptop working.   A BIG         TO     Dell for making this laptop Apple for Mac OS RehabMan for so many detailed posts, enormous collection of SSDT files, kext development, and being overall incredibly helpful throughout this whole process KNNSpeed for this amazing guide Pike R. Alpha for his in-depth blog and the 0xE2 patch (among being the source of many other developments and patches) The Clover team for the Clover bootloader netkas, kozlek, and Slice for FakeSMC wmchris for his initial XPS 9550 write-up Jonny4911 for posting his 9560 setup and his version of the AudioFix folder syscl for a lot of work into the XPS 9360 and his build of VoodooPS2Controller darkhandz for his XPS 9550 repo toleda and goodwin_c for audio, ALCPlugFix goodwin_c for HWP dpassmor for the Thunderbolt/USB-C ExpressCard trick vit9696 for Lilu and AppleALC PMHeart for CoreDisplayFixup lvs1974 for NvidiaGraphicsFixup darkvoid for Wi-Fi patches filequit for the 5GHz global channel bonding patch denskop for the "Boot Graphics Glitch" patch netkas, kid2010, and syscl for the Thunderbolt 3 blacklist bypass patch Blazinsmokey for all his good advice and knowledge   AND ALL THE OTHER THAT I DIDN'T QUOTE BUT WHO CONTRIBUTED TO MAKE THIS DREAM HAPPENED !     MORE CUSTOMIZATION   Improve battery life and CPU temperature :   Check the @abn6x Guide : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331775-guide-how-to-undervolt-your-haswell-and-above-cpu/     EFI.7z