DVD drive unrecognised + orange(external) icons present

m0dit

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've tried the AHCIPortInjector.kext, AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, IOAHCIFamily.kext(kernelPanic)
I've patched the DSDT with DSDT Editor using the "AHCI SATA orange icon" patch.

What else can i try?

Core2Quad, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4, 8800GT 512, Samsung SH-S203N  Disc drive

Thanks!

Chameleon sata.dylib in /Extra/modules.

The DVD drive is PATA or SATA?

I believe the EP45 series boards use the ICH10 (or ICH10R) controller which has no PATA support.

Therefore, if the drive is PATA it's connected to an off-chipset drive controller, probably jmicron.

Find out exactly what model it is so that you can search for a driver for it.

If the DVD drive is SATA, make sure it's connected to the ICH10. SATA ports for different controllers have different colors.

Refer to your motherboard manual to see which color belongs to which controller.

I forgot to mention, i did also try the "sata.dylib.

It is a SATA drive, Chipset: ICH10R.  (i dont think it has PATA support)
I dont understand what you mean by "which color belongs to which controller". You mean physical appearance/color of the sata slots on the MOBO its -self? If so, there are no suggestions in the manual as to where to connect.  The DVD drive is connected to sata (0) slot.
Samsung SH-S203N
I've had no problems with it while on OSX 10.6.8 Is there a KEXT i could take from 10.6.8 to try and install onto Mavericks?

Yes, I meant the color of the ports themselves. Many P45/ICH10 chipset motherboards use an extra PATA controller that also have SATA support. The ports that belong to that controller will be of a different color than those of the ICH10. A quick google image search shows all the ports on your board are yellow so that's that theory out the window.

Try rearranging things.

Place your Primary OS drive on SATA0 and the DVD drive on SATA1. If you have two hard drives place them on 0 and 1 and connect the DVD drive to port 2. If you have three hard drives....etc...DVD drive on the last port.

You may have to enter the BIOS and activate those ports, enable SMART, and reconfigure the boot order settings. Make sure the ICH10R is set to AHCI mode.

I don't recommend using the "ESB2" DSDT patch if that's what you're using, I've experienced corruption and data loss with that on ICH10R in the past.

If you're going to go back to the kexts, remove the ESB2 code first. Don't use two (or more) fixes for the same thing at the same time. That includes SATA.dylib as well.

I'd stick with the good old 1-2 punch, AHCIPortInjector.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in /System/Library/Extensions.

I am actually running the current Mavericks OS from an external USB drive (i just remembered my self :P  so perhaps the orange/external icons are present because they should be!) Im smoking crack here!....
Im gonna switch the DVD drives sata cable and see what happens.

I have noticed there is no "IOPCIFamily.kext" in Mavericks.  And actually in order for me to BOOT the system "ncpi=0x2000" needs to be specified. So perhaps this could be linked?

There is Lion version but the ML has been deleted :(  http://netkas.org/?p=1053

I have zero practical experience with Mavericks.

According to what I have seen (kernel panic screenshots) Mavericks definitely has an IOPCIFamily.kext.

Try asking for help in this thread, same generation Gigabyte boards running Mavericks:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292619-success-old-school-ga-ep45-ud3p/

Ok, imgonna start again. Try everything you've mentioned, if nothing, ill post in that thread.
Thanks for the help!

If anyone else can contribute/advise, please do! ...  Anything better than nothing!

PS- and Yes there is a"IOPCIFamily.kext" in Mavericks. I think im really smoking something.... :lol:

After trying all the kexts and having no success i decided to Install onto an Internal Sata HD rather than the External USB HD that i had used until now.

What do you know...... DVD drive is recognised!! :wub: 
So it looks like(al least for my setup) the system needs to see an actual internal SATA HD Connected during OSX Install in-order to read/initialise the DVD drive.....(funny even tho the DVD drive was connected to the first(0) sata port)