Quicktime - no video

noxdg

17 posts in this topic

Quicktime runs, but any HD trailers play with no video. The screen is black with a few vertical lines of color. I'm using a x1900XT with JaS 10.4.7 Boris 3.2 drivers. QE/CI is enabled. I've updated to the latest QT too...no change.

It worked before I installed the video driver, but there was no hardware acceleration. The CPU was doing all the work. Regular mov files work. It seems to only effect the HD files (h.264 480p and up).

This is the last issue...then OSX is up and running nicely!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I found this thread, but there was no resolution to the problem:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;hl=quicktime

System:

AMD X2 4400+

Biostar 6100 MB (nvidia 430 chipset)

MSI x1900XT

Seagate 160 gig IDE HD

1 gig corsair VS ram

Yep, I've reinstalled many times with no luck. This is my last issue to resolve for the most part. If I can't use iMovie for video editing which uses Quicktime, then there is no point to OSX. It would be cool if you could trick iMovie into using another video player during editing.

If you are running the SSE2 patch, both Quicktime 7.1.3 and iTunes 7.0 have issues. You might want to downgrade Quicktime.

MacFixit ( http://www.macfixit.com ) has several suggestions for iTunes 7 and Quicktime 7.1.3 problems and they recommend to do the following to downgrade:

1. Download the QuickTime 7.0.1 re-installer, launch it and follow the instructions to revert to that version.

--then--

2. Download and install the QuickTime 7.1.2 updater.

Thanks, Rammjet...

I did exactly as you mentioned and QT still plays the same. No video. Only a black screen with vertical colored lines.

I'll have to search through the forum and see if I can manage to get SSE3 running. I'm wondering if that will help at all.

To anyone who has Quicktime running perfectly:

Could you post your PC specs along with the version of OSX and Quicktime you are running (be sure to mention if QE/CI is suppored)? Also, if you had trouble getting Quicktime to work at first, how did you manage to fix it.

My current system (I switched from the one posted previously):

Shuttle SN95G5 v2 SFF (Nvidia nForce3 250 Ultra chipset)

AMD 64 3000+ (Winchester)

Ati X1600Pro 512meg

30gig HD (for test installs)

Realtek ALC 655 6 Channel onboard audio

512megs RAM

JaS 10.4.7 OSX

QE/CI supported

SSE2 (no SSE3 yet)

I've tried OSX 10.4.4, 10.4.6 (JaS, and a 2nd version I'm not sure... iso was h-t1046), and JaS 10.4.7. All of them didn't work. Actually, they did work before QE/CI was enabled. As soon as the X1000 Ati drivers were installed, Quicktime failed.

Hopefully with enough specs, a solution can be found for those, like myself, who can't get Quicktime running properly.

If you are running the SSE2 patch, both Quicktime 7.1.3 and iTunes 7.0 have issues. You might want to downgrade Quicktime.

MacFixit ( http://www.macfixit.com ) has several suggestions for iTunes 7 and Quicktime 7.1.3 problems and they recommend to do the following to downgrade:

1. Download the QuickTime 7.0.1 re-installer, launch it and follow the instructions to revert to that version.

--then--

2. Download and install the QuickTime 7.1.2 updater.

the 2nd link doesnt work.

i reinstalled and when i restarted i had a dock and no finderbar. restarted again and it still doesnt work. whats going on?

Installed OS X a few more times since my last post and still no Quicktime (7.1.2).

I have a little update, though...I've got DivX/Xvid, .avi, .mpg, .wmv files, and HD DivX/Xvid running with it beautifully. I'm not sure why the native codec doesn't work still. Any .mov file is a black screen with lines through it. I've tried updating, reinstall, older versions, and repairing permissions. Nothing seems to work.

Here's a picture for reference:

qt.jpg

I have two PC right now with OS X installed. Both are AMD and have the exact same Quicktime problem. Though I think I made some headway for myself... I removed the x1000 .kext and rebooted. Quicktime started working, but QE and CI were not. So, I think the issue lies with the Boris method drivers. I've been thinking of editing the kext with my specific Product ID to see if that will have any effect.

Unfortunately, my Intel PC (P4) recently died so I can't test it on it.

First PC:

AMD64 4400+ X2

Biostar TForce 6100 motherboard (nvidia 410 chipset)

X1900XT (PCIe)

1 gig ram

Second:

Shuttle SN95G5 (small form factor - nForce3 chipset)

AMD64 3000+ (Winchester)

X1600Pro 512 (AGP)

512 megs ram

IT'S WORKING!

Here's how I managed it... Maybe someone who's expirenced in the OSx86 project can explain why this solution worked:

1.) Clean install of HOTISO 10.4.4 using AMD base and kernal custom options only (yes 10.4.4 - It's the 10.4.6 install DVD, but without any 10.4.6 update options selected).

2.) Once at the OS X desktop, install AMD_Enabler (without this, packages will not work). Reboot.

3.) From the JaS 10.4.7 DVD: install the Radeon.1600.support. Repair permissions. Reboot

4.) Install JaS 10.4.7 update. Reboot.

Done!

Again, I'm not sure why this installation procedure worked for me, but it did. I love happy endings.

• 2 months later...

bump..

I'm having this same problem with a clean install of JaS 10.4.7 (with 10.4.8 upgrade applied)

I just get a black box in quicktime with vertical white lines, looks like an animated rain storm.

Anything that relies on quicktime dies. FCP crashes and dies, can't watch videos, etc..

I really need to fix this as I need to do DVD editing!

Thanks!