ga-z77-ds3h - 3570k overclock & speedstep not working in mavericks GM

Squirrelf

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

running 10.9 GM on a ga-z77-ds3h

ivy 3570K

nvidia 9600GT 512MB

not sure where to go, my bios remained the same from ML

geek bench clearly shows the 2000points drop from ML.

Bios and Win 7 still sees overclock.

3.4Ghz -> 4.2Ghz

saw somewhere to add SMmaximalclock in smbios, tried it

tried both Mac Pro 5.1 and iMac 13.2 system definition

----

also not sure if related, but html5 video playback in safari is very choppy

----

if it wasn't for the multi monitor support i'd go back to ML

Thanks

Hi, you need to inject an SSDT that defines your CPU's performance states, in your case 1.600MHz to 4.200MHz. I suppose you have it already but that would be the first thing to check.

Also keep in mind that the new GeekBench v3 produces completely different scores that cannot be compared to the ones calculated by v2.

Hi, you need to inject an SSDT that defines your CPU's performance states, in your case 1.600MHz to 4.200MHz. I suppose you have it already but that would be the first thing to check.

Also keep in mind that the new GeekBench v3 produces completely different scores that cannot be compared to the ones calculated by v2.

that would be through dsdt right ? (now running dsdt free, but if that is the case i'll try that) thanks

the way i followed my cpu speed was through istat with latest FakeSMC sensors installed.

i'm running the same geekbench 2, but that's good to know about v3

Not necessarily. The simpler option is to just provide a separate SSDT file. I have the same CPU and run it at the same speed. You can try to use the attached file.

If you use Chameleon, move the SSDT to the Extra directory and edit Chameleon's configuration to disable Generate P-, C-States and DropSSDT.

EDIT: Better stay with iMac13,2 as it has the correct power mangement functions for Ivy Bridge in contrast to Mac Pro.

SSDT_i5-3570k_4200MHz_C6n.zip

Edited by k3nny

sadly that didn't do it

I installed latest chameleon r2266

removed the generate p and c state line and added dropssdt as you said

double checked my bios for the 4.2ghz

istat sill just goes between 1.6 and 3.4

and my geekbench score remains on the low end (10884 instead of ~12500)

regarding imac 13.2 that's what i had thought, so I'm still using that.

Anyway thank you very much for your help !

removed dropssdt (i guess i was tired last night haha)

still caps at 3.4Ghz

attache ioreg

and here is my org.chameleon.Boot.plist to be sure.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>darkwake=0</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Theme</key>
	<string>LoginToLion</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>

Eliade_z77_ud3h_3570k.ioreg.txt

You use NullCPUPowerManagement, which blocks power management functions. Here the excerpt from Chameleon's boot log:

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,3)/Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/NullCPUPowerManagement]

Remove this extension, rebuild caches and you should be fine. New Gigabyte boards don't need it as far as I know.

• Like 1

Thanks again for your help.

So I totally recreated my Extra folder (btw, I have a fusion drive so I have the same Extra folder in both "Boot OS X" partition as told to do and one at the root of my OS just in case if it read something, so I guess that would seem to qualify as EFI kind of partition, are there know issue with that)

now testing Mac mini 6.2 smbios

besides internet and sound kext (S/L/E), only other one is FakeSMC (in extra, latest version) and hardware sensor kext

latest chameleon.

FileNVRAM module for iMessage(/icloud) to work

rebooted after setting new smbios def, before creating a new ssdt.aml

using "SSDT Install" with frequency option at 4200, renamed to ssdt.aml

rebooted

again all i get is 1.6Ghz->3.4Ghz (no in-between and no 4.2Ghz)

--------------

all it took was one more rebuilt of kernel cache and an extra reboot

I have full speetstep working, with multiple increment from 1.6 to 4.2.

(my geekbench v2 score is even a touch higher than in ML)

Thank you very much k3nny, without your couple pointer about ssdt file and the NullCPUPowerManagement i would have struggled much longer.

Edited by Eliade
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ooo I think I worked out how to post here.

Ok. So this worked perfectly for me to get 4.2ghz overclock working. I was wondering how I could change it to work for 4.4ghz. I tried making my own ssdt but it keeps just reverting back to 3.4ghZ. I looked at editing it but I don't understand the code inside. Any help would be appreciated. I also pmed you Kenny as I didn't realise I had to do those quizzes to be able to post.

The SSDT attached here was generated with this script: https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/RevoBoot/blob/clang/i386/libsaio/acpi/Tools/ssdtPRGen.sh

Usage instructions are inside in the script itself.

You should disable DropSSDT, don't enable it.

On the contrary, he should definitely enable it - it's DropSSDT=y to "drop" the built in SSDT tables and use an external SSDT instead.

But yes, it's illogical that you need to use =y to disable something.

Eliade: If you're using a discrete GPU, the macmini model identifier is no good as this model has IGPU only.

Use iMac13,1 smbios: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/231075-chameleon-22svn-official-pkg-installer-binaries/?p=1985248

Note that if you're using UseKernelCache=y kernel extensions placed in /Extra/Extensions will not load, because they are not included when OS X builds the caches.

So unless you use the same Chameleon installation to boot an unmodified installer on another partition, there is no reason to keep any kernel extensions there.

This is the reason why we must boot with UseKernelCache=n during installation so that fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions will load.

• Like 1

Awesome. I think I tried something like that from revogirl, but I was only running the script with 44 4400 on the end. It seems I should have been telling it my CPU name. Can't wait to finish work and go home and try again. Been fiddling for ages until I found this thread that shed some light. I've been using nullcpu at the moment. It kinda works, but even at idle the processor jumps from 1.6 to 4.4 constantly.

That's a long time ago, the script is much more refined now.

Nullcpu kills native CPU power management, the ssdt generated by the script will be useless if you don't get rid of it. Note that there are (as always lol) a few other conditions that need to be fulfilled for native power management to work.

So would running the script with 'i5-3570k' 4400 44 Be right? And yeh I had to take nullcpu out to get this 4.2 to work. I may of got lucky, all I did was turn on eist in bios and put the script in the efi/clover/acpi/patched directory. And it worked. Was clocking to 4.2 and in between. And was staying steady on 1.6ghz at idle unlike when having eist off. It bounced around constantly.

By the way, this was a super fast reply. I greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

No, no and no lol

You didn't put the script in the ACPI directory...you put the ssdt that was generated by it.

TDP for the i5-3570K is 77 Watts. I don't know how you came up with 44. From the script itself:

./ssdtPRGen.sh [processor number] [max turbo frequency] [TDP] [CPU type] [ACPI Processor Name]

So that'd be ./ssdtPRGen.sh i5-3570K 4400 77

...but you don't need to specify the TDP, the script already knows the correct value, the i5-3570K is on a list of known CPUs in there. But run it and see for yourself.

My "super fast reply" is totally random and just because I happen to be here with nothing else to do. I do not go out of my way to provide a "super fast reply", this is not a job, it's a hobby.

But you're welcome :P I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it.

• Like 1

Oh my bad. It was just a guide I was looking at last night said that. CPU speed them multiplier. This may have also been why it wasn't working for me. Sorry I'm still new to this :) wish I could run it now, 4 hours left of work :(. Maybe I should go home sick lol. This is basically the last thing I needed to sort to be happy with my install of osx. :)

ok home finally,  so i run the script, and i get ssdt_pr.aml    but when it opens dstd editor it is complaining about [child] written at the bottom of the code, ill plop it into patched folder and see what happens

hmm no cookie, is there a way to see if it even tried to load the ssdt ?

oh it defiantly loaded that time, had to use boot usb cause booted to black screen lol

I get some warnings when running the script,   

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0601 instead of 0x0701)

Warning: 'system-type' may be set improperly (1 instead of 0)

i tried a few different settings but neither fixed it :/

The Instructions with the script are not for people as new as this as me :)  like, does it need to be renames ssdt.aml and also does it matter if dsdt won't compile it because it has errors ...

OK an update, It's working the second time now,  I removed the [child] from the bottom of the file the script created and replaced it with a }   . DSdt editor compiled it with no errors,  renamed the file to ssdt.aml and also change the top line of the .aml to ssdt.aml.

EIST is turned on in bios and its boosting to 4.4ghz in mac osx, as well as many in-between.

Thankyou Gringo Vermelho

I find not much info in this when googling.

One small issue I'm having and was getting it also with the other ssdt.aml that the other guy linked to clock to 4.2ghz.   sudo dmesg shows me 

Network delay is not specified! Defaulting to 0x384        - many times !!  

[AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform

considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.apple.driver.X86PlatformPlugin triggered rebuild

system seems to run fine, googling the errors, most people just guessing what they are.

On the contrary, he should definitely enable it - it's DropSSDT=y to "drop" the built in SSDT tables and use an external SSDT instead.

It will work, but it's not recommended. Ivy Bridge systems contain some more important information, for example about SATA ports. If you drop those, you will see ACPI errors. It really depends on the system and the present ACPI tables though.

One small issue I'm having and was getting it also with the other ssdt.aml that the other guy linked to clock to 4.2ghz.   sudo dmesg shows me 

Network delay is not specified! Defaulting to 0x384        - many times !!  

considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel com.apple.driver.X86PlatformPlugin triggered rebuild

This has nothing to do with power management.

The network delay message can be hidden, see here.

AGMP is about video power management. I can't help you with it, though.

Glad you finally got it working. The ssdtPRGen script should be the best solution in this case.

Thanks for your help :) I only get those errors when using the custom ssdt. They are nothing major. Although I'm now benchmarking on heaven 20 points lower. I revert back to old settings without eist on and it's 20 higher. Is there a way to set how many states there are. It seems to have too many. Like 20 or something lol

Is not there when booting without the ssdt.aml.  It's weird that the ssdt for the cpu is affecting the gpu, which is hd7950. I still get my normal gpu messages:

RadeonSensors (pci1): found ATI Radeon ID: 0x679a, ATOM BIOS: GV

RadeonSensors (pci1): using device-id to resolve temperature sensor type

RadeonSensors (pci1): adding Southern Islands thermal sensor

RadeonSensors (pci1): started

Geek benches seem normal, although sometimes they drop a little, but heaven benchmark is defiantly scoring 20 points lower. 
Which sucks, the speed step seems to be working awesome, it actually idles when not in use lol

Btw, I'm using Clover, not sure if that may be causing a issues, as I know the other guy was using chameleon,