Computer sleeps really slow

10 posts in this topic

It seems that under Mavericks, my X202E has a mild case of insomnia. In 10.8.5, it would sleep immediately. In Mavericks, it seems to take 30-60 seconds before it actually goes to sleep. Normally this would not be a huge deal, but since my computer has a pretty short battery life, I sleep and wake it often during class to safe battery. I noticed that every time I put it to sleep I get these messages repeated in the console:

10/8/13 12:12:43.000 PM kernel[0]: Fixing incorrect zfree from zone kalloc.16 to zone kalloc.32
10/8/13 12:12:43.000 PM kernel[0]: Fixing incorrect zfree from zone kalloc.16 to zone kalloc.32

followed by this:

10/8/13 12:12:43.000 PM kernel[0]: *** kernel exceeded 500 log message per second limit  -  remaining messages this second discarded ***

I've never seen these messages before, so it looks like this is what's causing the hang up. I've Googled and can't seem to find any information on these messages. Does this have something to do with compressed memory? Does anyone know what they mean or have experience with a similar problem?

This is apparently not an isolated issue, my MBP does the same thing, and in the chat several others said they had the same problem. I would rather have kept my slow shutdown I had in ML than traded it for this, hopefully Apple fixes it in future updates.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's a notorious problem and it also happens on real macs as well. Hope that it will be fixed soon by Apple.

I'm having the same problem. Sleep in ML was instantly and in Mavericks it works, but takes about 20 seconds. Is this really a problem with all Macs? My MacBook Air sleeps pretty quick as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem. Sleep in ML was instantly and in Mavericks it works, but takes about 20 seconds. Is this really a problem with all Macs? My MacBook Air sleeps pretty quick as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

I can't tell you it for sure as I don't have a real Mac but this problem was really admitted by many people including slice.

Some of them confirmed existence of the problem on real Macs either.

I've just installed Mavericks on my PC with a P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen 3 motherboard. Everything was fine on Mountain Lion but on Mavericks I have the same problem. I can put my PC in sleep at the first time and it's 20 secs slower than on Mountain Lion but when I try to put my PC in sleep again the screen becomes black for 2 secs and then it returns to OS X.