Vostro 1700/Inspiron 1720 Mavericks GM issues

xangel9626

40 posts in this topic

I am trying to install Mavericks 10.9 GM on my Vostro 1700.  I cannot get it to recognize internal hard drives.  I was able to install it on a USB hard drive but it will not work with internal.  I have tried changing the AppleACPIPlatform, AppleAHCIPort, and IOPCIFamily kexts to the 10.8.4 versions, but all that does is cause me to have a kernel panic associated with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.  My BIOS is set to AHCI.

I made my own installer using only my DSDT and a few kexts that I used for my ML installer.  I seem to be having the same issue when upgrading to 10.8.5 from 10.8.4, that's why I decided to give 10.9 a try.

When installed to and booting from a USB hard drive, I get working trackpad with 2 finger scrolling and tapping, QE/CI with Geforce 8600M GT, Ethernet, Bluetooth, Audio, Microphone/Line-In, Sleep, iCloud, and iMessage.

Issues that I know I'm having are, of course, no internal hard drives, I have an HP BCM4322MC wireless card rebranded to Apple Airport that shows up in OS X but only gives me connection failed when I connect to my router, and no SD Card.

Any help figuring out my issues would be appreciated, just let me know any information that you need.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to make an OS X Mavericks installer using Pandora's Box Beta 2 and the Apple Store upgrade installer.  I was able to get the installer made with little issue, it took me like 30 times to get it to actually boot without freezing up and random spots in the boot process.  Finally got Mavericks installed and booted up after about 5 tries of random location freezing, installed some kexts for my Keyboard and Mouse, Ethernet, and Audio, rebooted and it's still freezing in random locations.

By random, I mean that sometimes it doesn't get past the pinwheel, sometimes freezes at grey screen with mouse pointer, sometimes freezes after dock loads, sometimes freezes a few seconds after I start using it.  It's never the same spot twice and there are no kernel panics associated with any of the freezes. With -v, it'll show it freezing at mounting my hard drive, Bluetooth, wifi, USB controller, and a few I can't remember.

When making the installer, I chose USB disk with Pandora and Laptop option 7.  What am I doing wrong with this?

FYI, when I was able to get it working the first time, my wifi worked.......yay.

• 3 weeks later...

For my DSDT, I created it back when I had Leopard installed on my laptop and was installing Snow Leopard. I did NO patching and used it as it was back in the day. If you have a Mac operating system already installed on your 1720 and it's using that DSDT, you should not need to do anything special to get it to work following my guide.

Keep in mind that I used the 10.8 installer package and updated to 10.8.1 with the information below my guide, I have not been able to get 10.8.2 to install and I have received the CPU1 HPET KP a few times and I had a multitude of other problems so I haven't got it working.

Here’s the thread showing the issues. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284219-vostro-1700inspiron-1720-1082-update-from-1081/

Anyone?

Hi xangel9626,

I only noticed this thread after you replied in the Inspiron 1520 thread.  Like for that machine, I would recommend patching your native DSDT with the DSDT patches in immo's DSDT thread for as vanilla an install as possible.

You can try applying the recommended/compulsory patches first ie

• HPET
  • DTGP Method
  • IRQs to fix USB Devices Randomly Not Working
  • USB patch to fix sleep
  • PCI Patch
  • RTC Patch
  • SMBUS patch.

I don't profess to be a DSDT expert but it is actually not that hard to apply the DSDT edits through simple cut and pasting in DSDT Editor.  Simply search for a particular string eg "USB1" to find where to paste eg the USB patch to fix sleep.

DSDT editor can actually be used in Windows or Linux to extract the native DSDT and apply the patches automatically.  It has an included patches folder for Core2 ICH8 Notebooks (applicable to inspiron 1720) with some common edits.  Open each patch, preview/apply to your native DSDT, compile & fix errors, save as aml.

You do not need VoodooPowerMini.kext with a properly patched DSDT (and chameleon generated p & c states), nor those "injector" kexts.  Also don't  use VoodooHDA.kext & AppleHDA.kext at the same time - they will cause kernel panics if used together.

As a last resort consider replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext with regressed versions from 10.8.4 kexts.zip from this post by sampledi --->place in /S/L/E folder of the installer using kext wizard (make copies of original first).  Some users have reported "disappearing hard drives" and freezing in Mavericks fixed by rolling back these kexts.

Good Luck

PS I noticed you were still using /Extra/Extensions for kexts which has been deprecated in Lion, ML & Mavericks to /System/Library/Extensions only.  Doing it the old way will prevent using the Kernel Cache feature of these OS.

I didn't notice you replied a response to me until today.  I've tried doing DSDT patching before, got confused, screwed some things up and gave up on it; I guess I can give it another try.  Voodoo power mini was something that someone pointed me to, it works, but I'm always looking for more vanilla ways to fix things.  I never use VoodooHDA and AppleHDA together, I use one or the other, whichever works at the time.  Tried rollback of the famous 3 when I was having issues, but it didn't work.  And I haven't used E/E since Snow Leopard, from Lion forward I used S/L/E for everything and rebuild mkext caches.

As an FYI, I was able to get Mavericks working on internal hard drives using the Pandora's Box app, but I had issues with Ethernet, Audio, Battery, and Touchpad/Keyboard not working.  It's actually interesting that I can get it installed with certain things broken making my installer and other things broken with the Pandora installer but I can't combine both or the system just doesn't work.  I would like to start over and see if I can get everything working and it would be nice to have someone to help figure stuff out since no one seems to want to work on C2D systems any more.

I'll work on it some tomorrow and I'll post any problems and progress I come up with.

There's still life in C2Ds :).

Post a copy of your native (unpatched) DSDT and I'll have a try helping you out.

The trouble with "all in one" installers is that they are are harder to troubleshoot if anything goes wrong and lack the fine-tuning provided by a patched DSDT.

Often "less is better" with kexts - in my own installer based on rockinron_1 vanilla guide  I only added FakeSMC.kext, VoodooPS2Controller.kext in S/L/E and the contents of my old /Extra folder from ML (including smbios & org.chameleon.boot.plist & DSDT) copied to the USB.  NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is only required if you don't have a patched & working DSDT.  Install Chameleon 2.2 r2266 into the USB and make sure that the mach kernel is on the root.

The Ethernet, Audio, Battery, and Touchpad/Keyboard should work once we get the basics fixed and the correct kexts installed.  DarwinX provides a good set of kexts in this post.  For ethernet you will need AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext from here and add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>max_valid_dma_addr=1024</string>

to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist (eg using a text editor).

I have attached my DSDT, smbios.plist, and org.chameleon.Boot.plist. 

One major problem I am having with manually made installers is that I can't get my Apple rebranded BCM94322MC wifi working in Mavericks.  If I use Pandora, the card works.  I've tried using the Pandora post installation tool to get it working, but it doesn't.  Not sure what the problem is or how to fix it.

With my touchpad, my computer has an Alps.  I use an ApplePS2Controller.kext in ML and I get 2 finger scrolling and tapping working perfectly fine, when I tried using VoodooPS2, all I got was emulated mouse controls.

Also, I don't use NullCPUPowerManagement in ML and I'm not even sure what it does, I don't seem to have any problems with CPU speed or overheating.

ExtrasFiles.zip

Ok I made a manual installer.  Copied only the FakeSMC and VoodooPS2, applied a few of the patches that you suggested to my DSDT as I couldn't find them all, copied my Boot.plist and smbios.plist, installed Chameleon r2266 and the installer works fine.  After the install, I tried booting from USB to get into the Mavericks hard drive and it froze.  I booted into my ML install and copied the same files over to the Mav hard drive, rebuilt chaches for the kexts.  If I boot normal or with -v, I only get a CPU panic.  If I boot with -v -f -x, it freezes during the boot process.

Panic is:

"TLB invalidation IPI timeout: " "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrups, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x2; NMIPI acks: orig: 0x0, now: 0x1"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2422.1.72/osfmk/x68_64/pmap.c:2612

Thank you so very much.  It booted up when I used -v -f, so that's a start. 

Without adding or modding kexts, so far here's what I find that isn't working: 

Battery icon does not work, will not turn on in system settings.

Track pad is just emulated mouse, no settings or taps, 2 finger scrolling is working. (using voodoops2controller)

No audio devices detected.

Computer is slow as dirt.  Hardware monitor is showing that the CPU is not exceeding 540Mhz.

Any thoughts?

Thank you so very much.  It booted up when I used -v -f, so that's a start. 

Without adding or modding kexts, so far here's what I find that isn't working: 

Battery icon does not work, will not turn on in system settings.

Track pad is just emulated mouse, no settings or taps, 2 finger scrolling is working. (using voodoops2controller)

No audio devices detected.

Computer is slow as dirt.  Hardware monitor is showing that the CPU is not exceeding 540Mhz.

Any thoughts?

Try SMBIOS for macbookpro 5,1 or 6,1 as you get more speed steppings for those.

My post install procedure/kexts for the XPSm1530 are described in this post.  Should be very similar except for ethernet.

Can you list all the kexts you have placed in /S/L/E from Mountain Lion?

After deleting the native AppleRTC.kext, AppleHDA.kext and AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext, I would also remove all your own added kexts except AppleBCM440XEthernetReplace them with DarwinX versions.  See if your airport is recognised by the native Mavericks version of IO80211Family.kext else you may need to search for a modded one/injector compatible with mavericks eg toleda's airport_kext_enabler.

Here are the Kexts I used in ML.  They came from this package: http://www.osx86.net/files/file/1020-ml-10-8-gm-custom-files-for-inspiron-1720-w-x3100/

AppleBCM440XEthernet

AppleHDA (I'm assuming modified)

AppleIntelIntigratedFramebuffer

ApplePS2Controller

AppleSmartBatteryManager

ATAPortInjector

FakeSMC

FakeSTAC9205

IO80211Family

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

VoodooPowerMini

I'll go through your after install steps and let you know what's still broken.

I've done everything you said and booting is very inconsistent.  Booting mostly causes a CPU kernel panic, sometimes boots to black screen, sleep causes reboot, but when it does boot, I have everything working except tapping on the touch pad since VoodooPS2 only emulates a mouse, not a touch pad.  With the 5.1 smbios, my CPU only reports as 1.81Ghz instead of 2.0Ghz, but it seems to be running faster, I'll test both and see which is better.

I've done everything you said and booting is very inconsistent.  Booting mostly causes a CPU kernel panic, sometimes boots to black screen, sleep causes reboot, but when it does boot, I have everything working except tapping on the touch pad since VoodooPS2 only emulates a mouse, not a touch pad.  With the 5.1 smbios, my CPU only reports as 1.81Ghz instead of 2.0Ghz, but it seems to be running faster, I'll test both and see which is better.

Did you delete all of your added kexts (except ethernet) from S/L/E and replace them with DarwinX versions (see post15)?  Some of these are unnecessary (AppleIntelIntigratedFramebuffer is for integrated graphics, you have NVidia 8600GT), some may be causing conflicts eg AppleSmartBatteryManager, AppleHDA, VoodooPowerMini and some may be the suboptimal version eg the latest VoodooPS2controller.kext by rehabman is incompatible with Alps touchpad (use DarwinX version VoodooPS2Controller.kext v1.1.0 by Slice & AndyV).

Replacement of AppleACPIPlatform.kext with a regressed version maybe necessary to prevent sleep issues (eg for XPSm1530, rebooting on second sleep occurs).

With chameleon wizard you can alter some settings (get rid of dark wake & npci=0x2000).  I use GUI, Instant Menu, Ethernet Built In, Generate P & C States and Graphics Enabler ticked.  The Restart Fix is ticked by default.  Use Kernel Cache can speed up the boot process but I recommend only ticking once you have the system stable & all kexts working.  In the modules section, install FileNVRAM.dylib module to enable iMessage, SATA module to replace your IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.

There is a bug in the latest chameleon (invalid multipliers used) that causes the incorrect CPU frequency reading.  Bungo on the chameleon main thread has fixed it in this post.

After replacing the hidden chameleon boot file in the root folder with the one provided by Bungo, the "about this mac" screen now reports my CPU correctly @2.49GHz instead of 4.3GHz.

PS Can you post screenshot of your CPU kernel panic?  Boot with -v -f

I didn't use all those kexts in mavericks, only the ones in your post for the M1530. I used the AppleACPIPlatform, restart works, but I get CPU kernel panics a couple times before it'll restart. I use the FileNVRAM, found it a while back for ML. I'll check out the CPU frequency fix. I'll change the settings in my boot plist, but my graphics are working with QE/CI, I thought that graphics enabler wasn't needed with the DSDT patches.

I'll let you know what I come up with tomorrow after I get off work.

I just realised that I forgot to strip out the HDEF/AZAL section of the DSDT for compatibility with VoodooHDA.kext. 

Quote from immo "I now recommend stripping out the HDEF section completely to prevent compatibility problems with VoodooHDA. Remove the Device(AZAL) (or Device(HDEF)) and any lines that refer to them (Thanks LatinMcG)."

For your DSDT I haven't added nVidia injection because "Not required for anything if GraphicsEnabler=Yes is used in Chameleon"

Please try the attached DSDT without HDEF section if using VoodooHDA.kext

Edit Also removed Marvell Yukon ethernet from DSDT (not applicable to Inspiron1720).

Edit 2: Alternatively, if the Voodoo kexts are problematic, you can replace them & try these (AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext for keyboard & trackpad, patched AppleHDA for Stac 9205) reported stable on Mavericks by Indiandragon on his Inspiron 1520.  In this case, you can use HDAEnabler injector module from the latest chameleon 2.2 svn r2269 (update with chameleon wizard) to enable audio.  Ver2269 also fixes the cpu freq bug.

xangel_Inspiron1720DSDT_patched3.zip

I think I might need to start over so I can log everything that I have been doing and compile all info from other threads in a step-by-step install instruction.

I changed the Voodoo kexts to the Apple versions and stayed with the second edited DSDT you sent me since I wanted to test the AppleHDA.  Installed r2269 and added the HDAEnabler module.  When I boot with -f -v, the system just either hangs at No Interval Found for . Using 8000000 or Hard stops at something to do with Bluetooth.  Switched the ApplePS2 stuff back to Voodoo and now it fails at Bluetooth (picture attached)

All in all, I would prefer to use a modded ApplePS2 that works with Alps because I know VoodooPS2 doesn't give me full functionality of my track pad.  I can live with VoodooHDA if I can't get AppleHDA working, just as long as I have sound, I don't care how.

Another issue, I get an error of disk1s2: media is not present (see picture)  It just keeps reprinting this on the screen - over and over and over again.

Before all this, I tried both the 4.1 and 5.1 smbios, they are running about the same.  With either, Mav is slower than my ML install.

I got the CPU panic again, I remembered that you wanted a picture after I had already restarted and I couldn't get it to replicate again.  I did write out the panic description a few posts back.

post-463186-0-12137400-1386035341_thumb.jpg

post-463186-0-15267700-1386035346_thumb.jpg

Very strange....the chameleon injector has only just been added so still maybe buggy....for sound you can

1) stick with VoodooHDA.kext and the xangel_Inspiron1720DSDT_patched3.zip (with HDA stripped out).  NB Did you remove the HDA enabler module before putting VoodooHDA.kext back?  Using both together might cause a panic.

or

2) use the first revision of the DSDT (which has HDEF injection included) with a patched AppleHDA.kext.

Also is your system completely stable in Mountain Lion?  Windows? Linux?....just wondering if you have an underlying hardware issue....

That disk1s2 error was also mentioned by Turaiel in the Inspiron 1520 thread.  What disks do you have on your system?  Since disk0s2 is your MLion3 partition, I assume disk1s2 is the second partition of a usb drive?

Can you verify the disks using Disk Utility?  What triggers the error (booting with the install USB?)?

To exclude a problem with my provided DSDT, there is also Ellnic's DSDT for Inspiron 1720 patched by Maldon that's worth a try.

Re ApplePS2, maybe try Slice's from this post (he has an Inspiron 1525).  The VoodooPS2controller.kext from DarwinX was actually optimised for the XPSm1530 by Brett Whinnen - maybe that explains why it doesn't work 100% on your machine.

I didn't switch back to the VoodooHDA yet, I only switched back to VoodooPS2 getting rid of both the ApplePS2 and the AppleACPIPS2Nub.  In the verbose scripts, it says multiple times that the AppleHDA is working and that my hardware has been found, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I'm running Windows 8.1 X64 with absolutely no issues; Mountain Lion 10.8.4, only issues are restart and shutdown do not kill the power and my SD card reader doesn't work; Ubuntu works without issue for what little I do with it.

I have 2 hard drives installed in the system currently while I'm playing with Mavericks, disk 0 is a 160GB HDD with Mavericks and disk 1 is Mountain Lion.  I was not booting from USB nor did I have a USB drive attached when I got this error.  Both HDDs have only one partition, both are GUID.  When I try to boot the Mavericks hard drive, I use -f -v (even happens when I add -x), it gets to Waiting for DMOS, then a few minutes later, it spams the screen with constant disk1s2 error.

Maybe disconnect disk1 (Mountain Lion) temporarily until you get a successful boot.....from the screenshot it seems to be mounting disk0 successfully.

BTW any more kernel panics/screenshots of kp?

Edit: Pls post entire kernel panic log - can be found in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports.

Before I switched to the ApplePS2 and AppleHDA kexts, the computer would boot fine except I get a CPU panic when I used reboot.  I never had this issue before on any install and I've always had 2 disks installed.  So far, no different kp screens.