Laptop reboots after root device uuid is .......

jhorie

50 posts in this topic

After removal of kernelcache I faced "Error loading kernel cache", so I removed

• <key>Kernel Cache</key>
    <string>\kernelcache</string>

from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

After that I see "Error loading drivers" message.

It seems I never see at least installer of the system w/o "step-by-step" description. All progress I have is my red eyes.

Unstoppable, could you pls upload bootable USB image or share EFI folder of Clover? I'm thinking to give up playing with this - I have never even reached actual boot process or installer.

BTW, is CSM option your BIOS Enabled or Disabled?

I managed to boot succesfully with Clover also. This was accomplished by moving the kexts from /E/E to /S/L/E

What S/L/E are you talking about, that in BaseSystem.img? 

After removal of kernelcache I faced "Error loading kernel cache", so I removed

• <key>Kernel Cache</key>

<string>\kernelcache</string>

from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

After that I see "Error loading drivers" message.

It seems I never see at least installer of the system w/o "step-by-step" description. All progress I have is my red eyes.

Unstoppable, could you pls upload bootable USB image or share EFI folder of Clover? I'm thinking to give up playing with this - I have never even reached actual boot process or installer.

BTW, is CSM option your BIOS Enabled or Disabled?

What S/L/E are you talking about, that in BaseSystem.img? 

Try replacing VboxHFS-64.efi by HFSPlus.efi, and boot without caches/with injected kexts, it works for me.

Try replacing VboxHFS-64.efi by HFSPlus.efi, and boot without caches/with injected kexts, it works for me.

It's already done. Anyway output says "loading kernel cache", it loads and nothing happens. After removal of kernelcache file, konsole says "Error loading kernel cache". Then, if I edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist I see "Error loading drivers" in output. It seems nothing can make installer rebuild kernel cache.

I use NoCaches key set to "true", "WithKexts" option in bootargs. Nothing helps. May I see someone's EFI folder with correct settings?

UPD: Using Chameleon I see almost the same but there's also "unknown cpu" or something similar.

Just remove the contents of the /System/Extensions/Caches folder. That will force a rebuild.

Using other bootloaders and using hfsplus.efi is something I already tried. It doesn't make any difference.

The problem is obviously kernel/cpu related. But honestly, I have no clue where to look.

Okay, finally I booted to installer and installed the system. I had to create another bootable USB stick based on BaseSystem.dmg + Packages + mach_kernel. Also I had to replace stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext with patched one and wipe kexts cache. Now I can't boot into my fresh install - no UI. Could someone advice what should I do in order to make HD4600 work? I have removed all Nvidia and ATI related kexts and wiped cache but still no luck. Should I remove Intel graphics related kexts too?

UPD: Removed Intel graphics kext and UI loaded, but it turned out that keyboard, wifi and touchpad doesn't work.

UPD2: Keybord is working now. Lan, wifi, sound still are headache.

Hey man, nice work.

For making the graphics work, try using Chameleon with the bootflag IntelAzulFB=11. I read a lot about that would do the trick.

How did you get the keyboard working btw?

And, are you using 10.8.4?

EDIT: Wifi is impossible for our laptops, because there does not exist any driver for it.

LAN should be possible (download kext from Realtek site), and I don't know about sound...

EDIT2: From all my research so far, it would seem that the new kernel still needs to be patched to work with our CPUs.

The kernel support only certain models, not all of them -.-

Yes, I'm using 10.8.4 (I'm not familiar with patching,etc).

Regarding keyboard pls find attached Extra.zip with necessary kexts (AppleACPIPS2Nub and ApplePS2Controller). I have put them to Clover's Kexts/Others and added "InjectKexts" key set to true to Clover's config.plist.

I tried Reatek driver for LAN but it seems it doesn't work. It's written for 10.7 Lion, not ML, so I guess that's the reason.

I have working graphics since I deleted all these files:

- AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext

- AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGA.plugin

- AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle

- AppleIntelIVBVA.bundle

- AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

- AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

Maybe I hadn't to do this but...

Also I prefer Clover as bootloader cause I know and I see as it gets better.

Extra.zip

Nice. I was using voodooPS2.kext but the trackpad is acting weird.

In addition, I finally managed to boot into 10.8.5 :) Basically, I rolled back to 10.8.4 (patched) kernel and a few kexts after updating.

There are still a bunch of things I want to do/test, and after that I will post a more detailed how-to.

Nice. I was using voodooPS2.kext but the trackpad is acting weird.

In addition, I finally managed to boot into 10.8.5 :) Basically, I rolled back to 10.8.4 (patched) kernel and a few kexts after updating.

There are still a bunch of things I want to do/test, and after that I will post a more detailed how-to.

Trackpad can be enabled by VoodooPS2 kext.It works for me and it works perfect,but I have no multitouch.My laptop is N750JV.

Hi I have an Asus N550JV too and after trying 10.8.4 then 10.8.5 I can't boot the OS X Installer. Before, I was thinking 10.8.5 will solve haswell cpu compatibility but not. With the help of Unstoppable and his kernel I was able to boot the installer but all the UI was terribly laggy.

Then I tried Maverick DP1 but no compatibility too. And finally I tried Maverick GM and mach_kernel was loaded successfully : Maverick seems to be a good news for us.

But the laptop reboot after show "loading drivers" so I can't boot into the installer... I will retry after deleting some kext but I'm pretty sure the kernel was loaded :-)

Good luck to everyone :-)

Trackpad can be enabled by VoodooPS2 kext.It works for me and it works perfect,but I have no multitouch.My laptop is N750JV.

Mine is multitouch though. Tracking works fine, but it registers a single click as a double click.

There is probably some way to fix that though.

Hi I have an Asus N550JV too and after trying 10.8.4 then 10.8.5 I can't boot the OS X Installer. Before, I was thinking 10.8.5 will solve haswell cpu compatibility but not. With the help of Unstoppable and his kernel I was able to boot the installer but all the UI was terribly laggy.

Then I tried Maverick DP1 but no compatibility too. And finally I tried Maverick GM and mach_kernel was loaded successfully : Maverick seems to be a good news for us.

But the laptop reboot after show "loading drivers" so I can't boot into the installer... I will retry after deleting some kext but I'm pretty sure the kernel was loaded :-)

Good luck to everyone :-)

I tried the GM version of Mavericks and it still reboots after loading the drivers. It definitely loads the kernel, but as soon as it has to start the kernel it will immediately reboot.

You can see that when using Chameleon as a bootloader. Then it will show what the OP has reported.

For Mavericks support, we would still need a patched kernel. The problem is, the source code has not been released yet.

I read somewhere that if Apple follows its regular 'timeline' for releasing the source code, it would be somewhere this fall. Hopefully soon after Mavericks has officially been released.

For now I will just focus on setting up 10.8.5 properly. That way I can have a DSDT ready for Mavericks and know which kexts are required ^^

http://itmages.ru/image/view/1271575/5a68fcd0

I have this after update to 10.8.5. I kept 4 kexts untouched (AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext) as well as patched mach_kernel but there is something that obstructs booting process.

Haven't tried with Chameleon though. Maybe this is UEFI-Clover specific.

UPD: Chameleon with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IntelAzulFB=11 does load UI but with terrible artifacts. Anyone knows correct number instead of 11?

http://itmages.ru/image/view/1271575/5a68fcd0

I have this after update to 10.8.5. I kept 4 kexts untouched (AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAHCIPort.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext) as well as patched mach_kernel but there is something that obstructs booting process.

Haven't tried with Chameleon though. Maybe this is UEFI-Clover specific.

UPD: Chameleon with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IntelAzulFB=11 does load UI but with terrible artifacts. Anyone knows correct number instead of 11?

Try numbers from 1 to 15.

Yeah you can try numbers 1 to 15. 15 to 8 don't work for me though. Haven't done the rest yet.

Clover hangs on the Intel graphics card. You can boot in safe mode with it though.

A tip:

If you want to get rid of all the 'couldn't find symbol _acpi_idle_kernel', roll back to the System.kext from 10.8.4 :)

Thank you, it worked (I'm talking about System.kext)!

By the way the first number I tried (1) for IntelAzulFB worked just fine. But still cannot set Clover up for the same seamless UEFI boot (sigh).

Finally I managed to boot with UEFI-Clover. One should to use correct values for his/her Intel Graphics card. They are here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/291614-intel-hd4000-and-haswell-inject-aaplig-platform-id/

What I mean is if you booted with IntelAzulFB=1 option, then look for that "1" value and use its id - 0000060c.

But, that id should be flipped before using it with Clover this way: 0c060000.

Here we go with correct code for Asus N550Jv:

<key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Inject</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Intel</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>
        <key>ig-platform-id</key>
        <string>0x0с060000</string>
    </dict>

Nice. I was trying to patch the injection in DSDT.

However, I can't even get it to work using Chameleon or Clover. Well, with Chameleon it works sometimes.

Probably my install is messed up, because of the all the screwing around xD So hopefully a clean reinstall will fix things.

Yes I know this kind of situation. Frankly speaking I do have a lot of OS X related files messed up over my Windoze D:\ partition :)

In fact currently running OS X installation is the third one. Moreover, one USB stick just died during the process of making one more bootable drive with ML 10.8.5. Losses, haha.

I think I can help you with your quest. I will pm you a link to my EFI folder.

Oh you're not lucky :-( 

Thank you for your little guide : I'm installing 10.8.4 with Chameleon and the installer UI is not laggy like with Clover (boot argument I think) 

Can you PM me the link to yout EFI folder too, please ? Chameleon is good but Clover is better for Graphics :-)

Hi there!
Managed to run Mavericks on my machine and gonna share some info with you guys.
1) USB stick must be created with the use of BaseSystem.dmg + Packages + patched kernel. Link to kernel: http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3606-109-ivy-bridge-e-lapic-fix-kernel/
2) After that it is necessary to install Clover (UEFI-only) on your USB drive. Then replace Clover's EFI folder with mine (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxmvHU43bIiQS3hTTHNFem1iVnc/edit?usp=sharing). It comprises correct config (w/o SMBIOS, set it yourself as you like) and kexts for N550JV.
My config uses Kernel=mac_kernel boot option, so you have to either rename the patched kernel or delete this option.
And don't forget to copy downloaded (and renamed, right?) mach_kernel to the root of your fresh installation.
As for SMBIOS section, I recommend the use of MacBookAir6,1/2 data. Official 10.9 build #13A603 from MAS  knows nothing about new MacBookPro11,1/2/3 which profile is actually more suitable for N550JV and it breaks the installation process (but installed system runs fine btw).

UPD:
This information is is obsolete now.
there are more effecive ways to run Mavericks on some Haswell machines.
First, you may try flashing modified BIOS patched with pmpatch tool which is easy-to-find here on insanelymac forum.
Second, one may use the following keys in Clover:
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
   <key>KernelPm</key>
   <true/>
</dict>
I suggest to close the topic as the solution has been found.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi there!
1) USB stick must be created with the use of BaseSystem.dmg + Packages + patched kernel. Link to kernel: http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3606-109-ivy-bridge-e-lapic-fix-kernel/
2) After that it is necessary to install Clover (UEFI-only) on your USB drive. Then replace Clover's EFI folder with mine (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxmvHU43bIiQS3hTTHNFem1iVnc/edit?usp=sharing). It comprises correct config (w/o SMBIOS, set it yourself as you like) and kexts for N550JV.
My config uses Kernel=mac_kernel boot option, so you have to either rename the patched kernel or delete this option.
And don't forget to copy downloaded (and renamed, right?) mach_kernel to the root of your fresh installation.
As for SMBIOS section, I recommend the use of MacBookAir6,1/2 data. Official 10.9 build #13A603 from MAS  knows nothing about new MacBookPro11,1/2/3 which profile is actually more suitable for N550JV and it breaks the installation process (but installed system runs fine btw).

UPD:
First, you may try flashing modified BIOS patched with pmpatch tool which is easy-to-find here on insanelymac forum.

<dict>

<key>KernelPm</key>

<true/>

</dict>

Could you share your EFI folder one more time??

• 5 months later...

Hi there!

UPD:

<dict>

<key>KernelPm</key>

<true/>

</dict>

Could you share again please? :)