No USB Audio

eldide

6 posts in this topic

Hi - 

Ok, Firstly I'm new to all this. Secondly I have searched through this forum for a possible answer but no luck yet (I have installed Voodoo HDA with no luck). 

I have two images 10.6 and 10.8.2 (now upgrade to 10.8.5). 

Issue: I have two USB audio devices 1) Steinberg CI1 and 2) an off-ebay-cheap usb audio adapter. I'm trying to get the CI1 working, not through "connect to host device", but by connecting as a removable device directly to the guest. When I do connect to it, it shows up in the sound and Audio MIDI Setup, but the sound bar is greyed out. No sound comes out of it at all. When selected. 

This happens on both images. 

I then tried with the cheap usb audio adapter, the sound icon is not greyed out and every now and again as soon as I connect some sound is heard, very broken up until it falls into the deeps of silence altogether. 

I'm not very familiar with a MAC - always been a PC user. I have been using CI1 with a windows 8 image fine with zero latency, so I don't think it's the VM application side of things. (Workstation 8.0.6)

Looking in the Console I can see the line ....voodoo.driver.... Exited with exit code: 1  (I think this happened in boot up looking at the time). 

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. 

p.s. The rest of the OS is blinding!!!!!!

Cheers,

Charles

AFAIK most (if not all) USB sound devices should work in OS X without any driver(s). All the three different USB sound cards I have, work OOB without any specific driver (not even VoodooHDA), plug and play, that is. Tested in SL (10.6.8; not virtualaised though).

Hi 3.14r2

Thanks for your reply. The USB ports work fine for everything else, i.e. External hard drive and MIDI devices. 

I don't understand. Could it be something to do with the hardware USB port, and a incompatibility issue between the host and the guest? That's the only thing I can think of. But I would have thought they would work for all devices or none at all. 

Has anybody had similar experiences around this? I've noticed alot of conversation around motherboards?

Cheers,

Charles

OK, I've done a bit more research. I have also run this from another PC (completely different hardware) and the exact same results are produced. 

This, for me, points to an issue with the image rather than the hardware of the host machine. 

Can anybody please shed some light on this? 

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Hi,

The update to Mac Os X 10.8.5 (even with the supplemental update) broke my external Sound Blaster X-FI HD USB-soundcard (no sound), and also my external USB-monitor (nothing on the screen). I would not be surprised if you are experiencing the same. Ironically, Apple's bug reporter has a bug in its log-in, and I am not able to report these bugs.