Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mountain Lion 10.8.5 USB3 Problem

3 posts in this topic

Hello! I've just installed the latest update from Mountain Lion, but i can't get my usb3 ports to work properly. The only way i could avoid kernel panics and get the usb3 visibile in System Information was with some patches for Clover. Although i can see my drive in System Information, there are no HDD mounted either in Finder or Disk Utility. I've added a pic...
Please help :(

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bilbo

SIERRA + Z820

(from El capitan's guide)
      Hi everybody.
      Yes I know. Maybe it is a little late for Sierra but I need a stable system and I always go to for final release. In my opinion, High Sierra is a beta. Anyway, yes, it’s late, but I didn’t have too much time last year.
      WORK- Everything except Sleep and common graphical issues.
      Some important topics:
      1. The update.
      Some procedures are now easier and shorter, and with the help of DSDT patched, an/or DSDT auto-patches, I hope it will be easier for everybody. This is a guide DSDT-centric. If you have the right bios version, you will be able to get it quick and easy. If not, I’ve described how do it anyway. But I strongly recommend update the bios to 3.91. It´s a safe process from windows.
      2. Credits.
      I’m not an expert. Best improves of this guide has been possible thanks to some people. All credit for them.
      -Thanks for the audio fix for macpeet and Rockey12
      -Thanks for the Lsi driver patched for Sierra to despeinao
      -Thanks for DSDT patching to Maldon
      -Thanks for SSDT patching info for 26x7 and 26x3 models to Hugodlc
      3. Please, help to improve this guide.
      Consider any part of this guide open to discuss. If you see something wrong, or which could be improved, please, just say it, and I’ll fix it.
      English is not my native language. If you can’t understand some step, or something could be best written, please, just say it (via pm if you want ) and I’ll fix it too
      4. Some important considerations about hardware:
      In short, there are V1 versions (for E5-Xeons V1, Sandy Bridge) and V2 (for E5-Xeons V2, Ivy bridge). Both of them are identical in generic specs (audio, usb, ethernet, pci, etc), but their bios are slightly different. Remember that DSDT is related to bios version. And SSDT is related to CPU model. Don’t exchange them. I provided DSDTs for 3.91 in V1 and V2 versions. If you have other version, and you don’t want or you can’t update, just follow the full guide to patch your DSDT.
      Anyway, with patches, edit DSDT is easy. But, I’m still recommeding extract your DSDT and SSDT and patch them.
      IMPORTANT WARNING FOR 26x7 and 26x3 USERS!!!. These models have a special cpu definitions in SSDT, causing the “Should have XX threads but only found YY” error. Please, go to Appendix (under construction).
      5. And please, (this is for "anonymous" users) don't PM me with questions. No need for that. Any question can be answered openly.
      Ok, let’s go.
      PART I
      1-BIOS SETUP
      This guide is for UEFI systems. This is not important to follow this guide except in Clover installation section. Keep in mind it to adapt some settings if you need use legacy-bios mode.
      If you don’t need any special option, and you have been playing with options, reset the bios to default settings.
      6. The main BIOS options are:
      In storage options:
      set ACHI mode (IMPORTANT).                                                         Set boot order. UEFI first, (for me), USB first and HD second.
      Security options:
      Device Security: I like disable unused devices (scu controller        Disable Vt-d.  IMPORTANT
      and serial port). Optional
      Disable Secure boot. Enabled. (For boot with non signed OS).     In power options:
      I use UEFI boot, but I keep legacy support active.                           Set Runtime power management to Enabled.This option will allow Power
      (This is optional.)                                                                        Management later.
      In power options:                                                                         In Advanced:
      About the rest of options, I’m not sure of the impact in                    Set PXE, Storage and Video to EFI. (for me).
      performance.                                                                                  If you have a graphic card non EFI-compliant, you can set video
      in Legacy, keeping an UEFI boot.
      Don’t forget set thunderbolt policy in Legacy mode.
      PART II:
      (This guide assume you have a MacOs running. I have no idea how do it on PC)
      -Important: Download Sierra dmg only from Apple. Don´t use suspicious dmgs or Isos. It’s not longer available to search in Apple Store, but you can find one link to download it from Apple Store. ("get os mac os sierra" link) It’s 10.12.6. Let the file in Applications folder. (and keep one compressed copy for future attempts).
      -Download my stuff folder with all necessary stuff.
      -Format one USB stick with common settings:

Go to erase tab, select GUID partition table in options, and Mac Os Extended (Journaled) as Filesystem. Name the partition as “USB”. Ok to Apply.
      -On a terminal window, type (copy and paste) :
      sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction -Enter and type your admin password. It will take 10-15 minutes. (When it finish, you’ll see the prompt again)
      -Download Clover from here . Version used to make this guide: Clover_v2.4k_r4359 ((Sierra requires r3994 or newer) )
      -Download Clover Configurator from here. It makes easier edit config.plist file
      -Download plisteditor pro demo for edit info.plist files.
      -Download additional tools for instal kexts, fix permission and rebuild cache. I use Kext helper from rampage’s dmg, although I need always forcequit. An alternative is Kext Utility.
      -Maybe EFI mounter (from download sections). CloverConfigurator mounts EFI too, but maybe with this utility is easier.
      -Install Clover in the USB. On first screen, don’t forget change the install location in order to do not install on your Internal HD. Select your USB stick.
      -Click on Customize.
      -Choose “Install for UEFI booting only” and “Install Clover in the ESP” as main options (if your system is UEFI-based)
      -This is optional: choose your favorite Theme.
      -In Drivers64UEFI select: / EmuVariableUefi-64 / OsxAptionFix2Drv

Let the rest of option unselected and Click on Install.
      When clover finish, It will mount EFI partition. Time to modify it. You’ll find all necessary files in my folder. There are three things to modify: config.plist, drivers, and kexts
      -Owners of CPU models 26x7 or 26x3 see appendix 2. (It’s not finished yet)
      9.1 Config.plist
      The default config.plist is not useful for us. Replace it by mine (folder n.2)
      But take a look to options (with clover configurator) to understand my options in order to be able to adapt them for your specs or your preferences. It’s a basic config.plist. I could add more options or fixes. but is a good idea install with minimum options.
      All fixes in ACPI section has been removed except some minor fixes in 2 subsection, smart ups option, etc. SmartUps it’s not important now, but it will be later. So I prefer activate this option.
      The most important, The rename usb devices patches are included.

Bootflags needed are only -v and npci=0x2000. Of course -v is optional only to see the boot process. You can deactivate it when you finish.

Any option activated in Boot Graphics/ Cpu/Device/Disable driver
      Gui options. These are only personal preferences.

Graphics. Any Graphic injection and any option activated. At least, no needed for my 1080ti card. Check it out for your card video.
      An essential section. Kernels Patches needed

RT Variables booterConfig, and Csr to deactivate security policy in Sierra. The info values are taken from smbios.

One important change from El cap’s guide. SMBIOS is set to Mac Pro 6,1. We will be able to avoid the black screen later, with the right kexts.

IMPORTANT—> press “generate new” repeatedly to get one random fresh serial number
      System parameter:

9.2 -Drivers64UEFI folder.
      You’ll see more drivers installed than you selected. That is because some of them are mandatories. That is fine.
      As usual, delete VBoxHfs-64 driver and replace it by HFSPlus.efi. (from my folder).

9.3 Kexts:
      Add Kexts from my stuff to /EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/10.12
      They are:

-FakeSMC.kext ,(from rampagdev, dual cpu dmg or X79 ) Without lpc sensor plugin. This plugin sometimes causes KP
      -VoodooTSCync.kext, to avoid boot with -x (from rampagdev, dual cpu dmg or X79.dmg)
      You’ll find several versions into my folder. One generic version ans several for every core number. I haven’t noticed any change using the generic or the specific version. I think that is not important for our platform. I provided the generic version and customized versions for every cpu.
      Anyway, try if you want.The customize method is:

• By JoshuaBedford
      My name is Joshua Bedford, and I'm brand new to this community. It appears as though I have been missing out! I started over at hewhoshallnotbenamed's (from what I understand) website. I need some help!

I built my first (and only so far) hackintosh a little over 2 years ago (I think. haven't looked at exact dates). It has worked phenomenally, and was running my dual 27" displays perfectly for web development and video editing. The problem now is USB3.0, audio, and iMessage no longer work. iMessage was always spotty, but I need audio and USB3.0! It recognizes USB2.0 devices plugged into 3.0 ports, but not 3.0 devices (such as my 3TB external drive and usb hub).

My question is this: Based on the hardware below, would it be a good idea / compatible to wipe it and start over with high sierra and the newest bootloader powering it? The only data on the drive is the OS and a few programs. Nothing irreplaceable or difficult to replace. My main question is one of compatibility (I'm not very knowledgeable about this process).

GPU: GTX960
      CPU: i7-4790k
      MB: UD5H-Bk
      RAM: Gigabyte 16GB
      WNA: TP-Link WDN4800

PCPARTPICKER link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JrBedford/saved/#view=vpMLrH

Everything except the monitor (I moved to 2 curved 27") is still true. Please view that for any specific part numbers!

Let me know if more information is needed. I am willing to be helped in debugging the current system, but i wonder if installing high sierra would be easier.

P.S. I bent a few of the pins in the USB3.0 header that connects the front panel of my case. That wouldn't cause the entire system to reject USB3.0 right? I'm plugging directly into the motherboard not through that plug.
    • By gygabyte666
      LAST UPDATED: [11/22/2017]
      Recent Changes:
      -added artur_pt to Thanks list for being the first person to try to help me 4 years ago.
      -FINALLY removed the [WIP] in title. I think it's safe now, haha
      -HUGE post cleanup! should be (hopefully) easier to navigate
      -added new section for 10.13 High Sierra
      -added link to Andrw0380's 10.13 files
      -removed old link to Andrw0380's 10.12.1 / 10.12.2 beta files
      -updated link to Andrw0380's updated 10.12.4 files
      -updated thread title, now shows 10.8.5-10.13.x
      -removed images as they weren't loading anymore anyway
      Previous Changes:
      -added link to Andrw0380's 10.12.1 / 10.12.2 beta files
      -updated 10.12 about image, not a clone of 10.11 about image anymore
      -updated thread title, now shows 10.8.5-10.12.x
      -slight post cleanup
      DISCLAIMER: I can be in no way held responsible for any damage to your computer as a result of the information or files provided on this page. I can't be held responsible for the faults and errors of those who follow (or choose not to follow) my advise or instructions. You are on your own if you proceed. This was created with the assumption that anyone following it would be using the SAME machine model and hardware setup as mine, a HP ENVY 17t-j000 Quad. Using any other model or hardware configuration may work but is completely unsupported! This was never intended to be used as an installation guide and shouldn't be referenced as one. It is merely a place to list my testing results. Consider this your one and ONLY warning. Continue at your OWN RISK...
      NOTICE: I will always be very proud of the work that was put into the making of these files not just by me but through the amazingly generous and wonderful people in this community. During my absence, that same community even took over and provided others with the assistance to keep up-to-date with the newer flavors of OS X. All of that hard work, time and effort will remain here on the first page for as long as possible for both reference and historical purposes. For reference, I supported and maintained packages for 10.8.x Mountain Lion, 10.9.x Mavericks and 10.10.x Yosemite (briefly).
      Andrw0380 has generously been providing more updated support packages for this thread for quite some time now. If you are to use any of the files listed below, I would recommend his as they are typically more recent and better tested. Be sure to check over his posts for further details and usage instructions and don't forget to say THANKS for his time and effort.
      The good news is it has recently been brought to my attention that RehabMan has been hard at work and has created a much better, more reliable method for both current and possibly future OS X installs. His new method, named the "hotpatch" method is far superior to our old ones and should rightfully take its place. I leave you with a direct link to his detailed and extensive guide to assist both current and future users with their adventures in OS X. Should you find success using his method, please remember to say THANKS for his work and to possibly add to his growing repository to hopefully assist future users in their own success stories.

RehabMan "hotpatch" guide
      10.13.x (macOS High Sierra) ENVY Files:
      Files generously provided by Andrw0380 HERE
      Be sure to say THANKS for all the hard work!
      10.12.x (macOS Sierra) ENVY Files:

10.11.x (El Capitan) ENVY Files:

10.10.x (Yosemite) ENVY Files:

[LAST UPDATED: [10/26/2014]
      Dropbox Mirror

10.9.5 (Mavericks) ENVY Files:
      [LAST UPDATED: [04/07/2015]
      Dropbox Update
      [LAST UPDATED: [10/26/2014]
      Dropbox Mirror

10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) ENVY Files:
      [LAST UPDATED: [04/07/2015]
      Dropbox Update

[LAST UPDATED: [08/28/2014]
      Dropbox Mirror
      [in no particular order]
      - CharlieSheen
      - bcc9
      - RehabMan
      - mnfesq
      - toleda
      - Mieze
      - Micky1979
      - artur_pt
      - TimeWalker75a
      - Slice
      - Andrw0380
      - jerrywilborn
      - Cobra03
      - hotKoffy
      - mnorthern
      - PikeRAlpha
      - nrjmadan
      REMINDER: An unbelievable amount of hard work, dedication and enormous amounts of time have gone into the making, testing and maintaining of the content for this post, this thread and the entire forum as a whole. Please do try to remember that SOMEONE has to make all this happen. Be sure to THANK those who deserve it. A little appreciation goes a long way.
      CONCLUSION: Lastly, I am rarely active anymore and would just like to say thank you to all those who stepped up and not only took my place during my absence but also improved upon what I started so many years ago now. I truly can't believe how long this thread has survived and it is awe-inspiring to see how much further it has moved along since I last visited it. You are all just amazing and wonderful people for doing what you do. You all know who you are. Keep doing what you do and thank you again for everything that you've already done and for everything that you will hopefully continue to do in the future.

• By Slice
      I am sorry I forgot who is the author of the idea of this patch for Sierra.
      In High Sierra the kext binary changed and new patch required.
      Initial state

as you see there are only 15 ports. 14 HS** and one SS01. The reason is AppleXHCIPCI.kext has a restriction in 15 ports and count both USB2+USB3.
      Intel chipset Z170 has 14 ports USB2 and 10 ports USB3 but we have 14+1. 
      Kernel log tell us
      kernel: (AppleUSBXHCIPCI) 000001.769617 XHC@14000000: AppleUSBXHCIPCI::createPorts: ports limit reached.  Not creating the remaining 11 ports
      The patch for Sierra
      found: 83BD74FF FFFF10
      replace: 83BD74FF FFFF19
      For High Sierra
      found: 837D8410
      replace: 837D8419
      Or visual

The result

• By mega maniac
      Hi all,
      So recently upgraded my motherboard and wanted to get USB3 working in Sierra. I am attempting to follow this guide here by @mfc88 (edit: can you tag users here?) : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/313296-guide-mac-osx-1012-with-x99-broadwell-e-family-and-haswell-e-family/?p=2354822
      However I am stuck at step 4 which asks you to map your ports to HSxx and SPxx....
      edit update: My primary problem now (after MaLd0n helped me get SSP shoing in IOReg) is that when plugging in a USB3 device only one port maps to the SSP locations, none of the others do. When opening my DSDT in Rehabmans maciASL I see the HS01-HS14 and SSP1-SSP6 When looking under XHCI in IORegistryExplorer I still see HS01-HS14, but I only see SSP1-SSP2, this prevents me from mapping the USB3 ports, as they dont show up here - Solved - Thanks MaLd0n If I do a System Report and look in the USB 3 Bus for a location ID of a plugged in item I can find it, but if I search for this ID in IOReg it is not there.   It is possible I have something else interfering as I used a EFI/Clover folder from someone else's build (he didn't have USB3 working either). However I have removed the FakePCIID kexts to work on this guide. The guide asks you to disable XHCI handoff, however OSX will not boot with this disabled and hangs at HDA Enabler in verbose, or if I remove HDA kexts at Thunderbolt runtime power conservation I can get SSP1 to activate - one of the USB ports maps to this, and when I have a USB3 device plugged into it it works at USB3 speeds. - There is a USB3.1 port which also works at USB3/3.1 speeds but does not show up under XHCI. I have wires plugged into both USB3 headers on the motherboard so I can check all ports. This motherboard also has a Renesas controller on it. I have attached my dsdt (from Clover f4) and clover .plist for reference,
      Any help or direction greatly appreciated