iSteve384

IBM Bladecenter with HS20 Blades.

2 posts in this topic

somehow all my text got deleted.
I basically need a large amount of power to run renders for blender, compressor, final cut and motion. 

i can get an IBM Bladecenter with 14 HS20 blades cheaply, has anybody tried getting osx running on one of these or a similar system before?

i have got osx running on a few pc's before, but never anything like this thing. 

thanks in advance

iSteve384

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ylluxiun
      Creating a Hackintosh Linode instance seems entirely achievable after reviewing the steps in creating a Windows linode instance here:
      https://github.com/ClickSimply/docs/blob/windows-on-linode/docs/tools-reference/windows-on-linode/installing-windows-on-linode-vps.md

Getting macOS running on VirtualBox doesn't seem to be much of a challenge (example), yet getting to the hfs+ resizing step could be a little trickier (unless perhaps we create an additional boot volume that has something like iPartition on it to resize the primary volume).

Any thoughts on achieving this?

It should be pretty cost effective to fire up Linodes with macOS / Hackintosh on them. I'll probably go with the 8192 size (8GB with a quad core Xeon and 96 GB SSD storage), but a little smaller could work.
    • By XRaidAlex
      Hello Folks,
      Almost a year ago. I read a forum post on another website of of a guy named xxredxpandaxx modding an old apple XRAID. Essentially Gutting the unit and painstakingly soldering sata through the mother board to allows the caddies to hold SATA drives. It was a great idea and it got me thinking of undertaking such a task. I however have no soldering skills. And with say 14X 8TB I don't trust my soldering when data is at stake. Also nothing on the outside was functional. It was just a case mod, nothing more.

Link provided https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/29324-unraiding-an-apple-xserve-raid/

SO I had an idea, redesign boards for both the XRAID and the Caddies. So that at least the drive lights worked in front of the caddy.

If you are having a hard time picturing this I will provide pictures.

But basically my idea entailed making a Daughter card which would accept multple sata and power wires from a mother board and power supply and then transfer the leads through the XRAID style connectors (SCSI 80) into the Caddy and then back to a sata connector to use with sata drives inside the caddy. I wanted the lights to also be functional.

Again I hit a road block I don't know much about making PCB boards. So I enlisted the help and expertise of another forum member, an electrical engineer. Not only was he able to make new caddy boards for SATA, and make the large daughter board to accept the sata from a pc motherboard. He also was able to get the caddy lights to be functional.

So the caddies are done. We are now in the final stages of the large 17" daughter board. I will also have pictures of the progress.

The third task which will be started soon is getting the throughput lights to work in the center of the machine. My hope is to have it register network bandwidth. Also rewiring of the power button from the back to the front is also on the list.

The second part of this project is aesthetics and airflow. I again have no knowledge of how to cut aluminum or design mother board trays. So I enlisted help from someone in the UK. And let me tell you he designed the most beautiful pc tray and top. The tray will have holes for risers for mitx, or matx. and the top will have a cutout that will make it easy to swap cards out so you dont have to unscrew everything to get to them.

I will have more pictures and will be editing this post to make it a little bit more linear.

I think this will be the best looking NAS out there. Perfect for holding all your data and transcoding plex videos provided you buy enough horsepower under the hood.
    • By powerpcme
      I updated this Xserve to 10.12.2 using the patcher tool, It worked successfully however the integrated graphics no longer work due to driver issues. I installed a low-profile Nvidia GT 210 and installed drivers for it and it works perfectly. The problem is the ATI x1300 which is integrated in the machine is acting as if the monitor is plugged into it so when I VNC or Screen share from my Macbook into it, it shows 2 screens and has major lag issues due to that. Is there anyway I can disable the ATI?? 

EDIT: I've found a solution for anyone looking. Either using SwitchRezX for a less permanent solution or removing the X1300 from just under the PCI-E slot where the mini DVI is found. Did the latter and it's working fine now, However if you plan on doing OS upgrades that require you to get into the boot menu you're going to have to put the old card back in and use Mini DVI.
    • By Funkoyote
      Hello, I am looking for information for installing MacOs on a Dell Precision T5600 Workstation. I have not found anything yet and I was wondering if there is anyone around here with experience in these towers. Thank you very much.

Specs:
      Precision T5600 Chipset 
      Manufacturer  Model  Intel  Intel C600 Chipset
      Processors 
      Manufacturer  Models  Intel Sandy Bridge E5-26xx series, LGA2011 :Intel® Xeon™ processors
      4, 6, and 8 Core support
      Up to 150W
      Instruction/Data Cache: 32KB
      Supports Dual Processors
      Intel® Xeon®E5-2620 Processor (Six Core HT, 2.0GHz Turbo, 6 MB Intel Smart Cache, 95 watt)
      Video 
      Type  Models  Discrete PCIe 3.0 / 2.0 x 16  Up to 2 full-height, full length (maximum of 300 W) 
      2 GB AMD FirePro™ W5000  
      Memory 
      Specifications  Supported configurations  Memory type  DDR3 1333 MHz and 1600 MHz RDIMM ECC  Memory connectors  4 DIMM slots with single processor; 8 DIMM slots with dual processors  Supported memory module capacities  4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB RDIMM ECC Minimum memory  4 GB  Maximum memory  64 GB single processor; 128 GB dual processor 
      Audio 
      Type Model Integrated  RealTek ALC269 High Definition Audio
      Network
      Type Model Integrated Intel 82759

• By Tucker28
      Has anyone seen or heard of running macOS on this motherboard? http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C2550D4I#Specifications

I am building an NAS, and while I could use FreeNAS, I need macOS. I need full iTunes on it to run my AppleTV's. Also, since I will be using ZFS, I am looking for a board with ECC. Mini-ITX preferred because of the case, but if need be, I can switch form factors. I saw something online that seemed like someone had installed macOS on this, but couldn't quite tell for sure.

Thanks for your time,
      Scott