Windows Workstation NT4

Don Luca

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this old Microsoft OS and read several reviews about it and it sounds like this is one of the best OS Microsoft ever made.

But before try it... I'd like to know if it is compatible with applications... obviously, it will not run Office 2007 nor 2003, as well as Photoshop CS2... but I own older version of these programs, which should work.

The problem is... until what OS are applications compatible with NT4?

I mean... are Windows 98 apps compatible with NT4? Or Windows 2000?

Thanks!

NT 4 is a pure server os. it's not made to be used as workstation(despite there's a workstation version). it lacks support for a lot of things; plug'n'play directx usb and so on (they tried to add 'em with service packs but never worked correctly). that said, nowdays it has poor compatibility and some programs won't work correctly. btw it "was" a solid server OS

not recommended. use win98 2nd edition instead

NT4? Why on god's earth man, why?

NT4 can't do USB, hell, it can't do a LOT of stuff, you'd be simply wasting your time really. It's useless for most practical purposes; hell, 98SE is better actually.

If you simply must use it for whatever reason, install it under VMWare since it's much easier. It's a tiny OS compared to today's monsters.

NT4... man that's a kick in the head after 10 years without it. :)

:2cents:

bb

NT 4 is a pure server os. it's not made to be used as workstation(despite there's a workstation version).

That is a total load of BS!

:tomato:

Really, the ignorance of people around here sometimes is mind boggling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_nt_4

anyone knows where to get PowerPC version of Windows NT 4?

It is included on most CD's that I've seen of NT 4, along with some of the other builds of it (MIPS and Alpha, I think).

eeww..

hey bro, thanks for that flameish statement, really.

for the sack of knowledge.. nt 4.0 was used in client-server environments just because of security. we all know how NT4 was limited for desktop usage. no need to abuse that funny BS word.

still.. thanks, really

well, anyway, I tried it and, beside the awesome logo (maybe the best in all the windows series) it was really fast, I would say the fastest system I've ever tried...

When I'll have a bunch of time I want to search drivers and Service Packs to make it usable 100%.

EDIT: Wait!!! you're telling me that there was a PPC version of Win NT 4.0 ?

if so... IT MUST BE MINE!!! MMWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! :compress:

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this old Microsoft OS and read several reviews about it and it sounds like this is one of the best OS Microsoft ever made.

But before try it... I'd like to know if it is compatible with applications... obviously, it will not run Office 2007 nor 2003, as well as Photoshop CS2... but I own older version of these programs, which should work.

Thanks!

It is NOT just a server...anyway for info(applications/updates/etc.) see here

http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/Pro...ion/default.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/w...t.mspx?mfr=true

enjoy...

Microsoft Operating Systems Based on the Windows 9x Kernel

November 1983 Windows First Announced

November 1985 Windows 1.0

April 1987 Windows 2.0

May 1990 Windows 3.0

April 1992 Windows 3.1

February 1994 Windows 3.11

August 1995 Windows 95

June 1998 Windows 98

May 1999 Windows 98 SE

September 2000 Windows Me

In January 2001 Microsoft announced the demise of the Windows 9x kernel.

Microsoft Operating Systems Based on the Windows NT Kernel

August 1993 Windows NT 3.1

September 1994 Windows NT 3.5

June 1995 Windows NT 3.51

August 1996 Windows NT 4.0

February 2000 Windows 2000

October 25, 2001 Windows XP Home and Professional

January 2007, Windows Vista

Windows NT was a great OS!!! (in 1996) Both Windows 2000 and Windows XP are NT based operating Systems. NT definatly improved stability over the then current windows 98 platform but many compatibility issues were not resolved until Winodws 2000 and even XP.

Really no reason to run it if you can get a copy of Win2k.

wow - i had completely forgotten about NT and "Other" Achitectures -

i may have to dust off the G4 and the NT disks :)

Won't do you any good. The PowerPC systems that were supported by Windows NT were not Macs, but the ones built by IBM. While the processor was the same, the rest of the architecture was different enough that Windows NT PPC won't run on a Mac. FWIW, I've actually seen NT4 running on an Alpha, and it was bloody FAST! It was, AFAIK, the first 64-bit version of Windows.

And WINDOWS NT is the microsoft´s copy of OS/2.

Yeah, believe it!

MS and IBM created OS/2 and some years ago, they finished the partnership and each one continue with this own version of the system.

[sorry about my english, i´m brazilian]

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Ive got a copy pm me if youd like it uploaded for you, i also have all other x86 versions of it, 2000 etc, if you are interested in it jut lemme know... ;)

rodrigocunha it is m$ development of what was supposed to be the next version of os/2 (ibm and m$ had a deal where one would dev one and then the other the next... if you cant guess it fell through....)

Thanks bwhsh8r, but I already got it... ;)

there's only one problem with it...

in some computers, at the beginning of the installation, it says that there's one critical file missing on the CD (which is not true...).

I solved the problem installing NT4 on another PC and then upgrading it with the Service Pack 6, then copy the partition back to the other PC.

I know it is possible to update Windows XP CD with the Service Pack 2, so we can "create" a Windows XP SP2 CD... is it possible to integrate the Service Pack 6 in Windows NT4 CD?

Thanks!