Can't Boot OSX Install from HDD Boatloader

3 posts in this topic

Hi, was wondering if someone could give me a hand here.

Having tried out dual boots of OSX and Windows a fair few times in the past on my old PC on the same hard disk, I think it's safe to say there have been more than a few problems along the way.

So, having just built a new PC with parts that are compatible as I could find, I set out to make things easier for myself and have one OS per hard drive. Much simpler - "should work first time since I know what I'm doing now!" I thought to myself.

Anyways, after about 6 re-installations of OSX with different settings each time, I realised that my problem was not setting "PCIRootUID=0" as a boot argument. Low and behold, everything works without a hitch!

However, after manually setting that to be a boot argument in the boot.plist, I now have a new problem. If I let the computer boot from the bootloader in the OSX hard drive (chameleon), it will instantly reboot the computer without doing hardly anything. Tried with verbose mode, a few lines come up and then insta-reboot. Tried with safe mode and everything like that. Incidentally, if I try to use the same bootloader to switch to my windows Hard drive to boot, it can't find the windows boot file and won't work either. I'm fine if I let the BIOS boot to it though.

So, my workaround is to use the iAtkos ML2 (or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) CD and then manually enter the boot argument every time. I don't necessarily want to do this every time though.

So does anyone have a clue what I should do? Occasionally I'll get kernel panics this way, especially if I boot with verbose mode, and it can't be good for the PC to keep hard rebooting it. I wouldn't know where to start if I need to reinstall the bootloader or something, I'm not actually that good at this, as you might be able to tell!

Anyways, hope someone can give me a hand!