[Solved] Installing bootloader

berny_

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I have installed on my Asus UX32VD ML 10.8 Retail without any problems.

My notebook has an SSD San Disk 32Gb directly soldered on the motherboard and a magnetic Hitachi 500 GB HD.

Once installed the ML Bios does not see the SSD to set it as boot, I realized that I do not see why the partition scheme is GUID, if it imposed on MSDOS sees it.
So you will understand that even installing the bootloader on the ssd (where ML is installed) then I have no way to start it, so I tried to install Chimera on a partition located on the second HD in MSDOS, the bootloader is installed correctly, but despite the BIOS sees the HD does not start, giving me back this message "this is not a bootable disk". So for now I can start ML only via usb.

What can I do?

Thank you all.

I enclose two photos of the Bios for greater clarification, notice to those settings where he speaks of EFI it may be the problem. (The Hitachi HD you see is the magnetic field, ML is installed in San Disk SSD)

post-909440-0-90642100-1374587505_thumb.jpg

post-909440-0-89009100-1374587518_thumb.jpg

Chameleon only works with BIOS (Legacy mode on UEFI motherboards)

Clover work with both UEFI and BIOS modes.

If the motherboard is set to boot in UEFI mode, then Chameleon will not work. Either use Clover and UEFI mode, or use Chameleon/Clover with BIOS mode.

If the motherboard is set to boot in UEFI mode, then Chameleon will not work. Either use Clover and UEFI mode, or use Chameleon/Clover with BIOS mode.

Thanks for your help.

So just install Clover in the SSD and the BIOS I can select the ssd as boot? I have some confused ideas would you help me please?

You have UEFI type motherboard in your notebook. UEFI type boards can be set to boot either in UEFI mode or in legacy mode (BIOS mode).

There  are two main types of bootloaders:

• Chameleon and other Chameleon based bootloaders (Chimera for instance)
  • Clover and clover based bootloaders

The Chameleon was born when UEFI boards were not yet widely available, hence it is designed to work with BIOS and it will not work with UEFI motherboard unless the system is set to boot in legacy/BIOS mode.

Clover on the other hand, is designed to work with UEFI mode. It can also work with BIOS mode, but the main feature of Clover is ability to work with/boot from UEFI motherboards without using BIOS/legacy mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI

So, if you want your nootebook to boot with Chameleon (or Chameleon based) boot loader, set it to boot in legacy mode (BIOS mode), or use Clover and switch to UEFI mode.

You have UEFI type motherboard in your notebook. UEFI type boards can be set to boot either in UEFI mode or in legacy mode (BIOS mode).

There  are two main types of bootloaders:

• Chameleon and other Chameleon based bootloaders (Chimera for instance)
  • Clover and clover based bootloaders

The Chameleon was born when UEFI boards were not yet widely available, hence it is designed to work with BIOS and it will not work with UEFI motherboard unless the system is set to boot in legacy/BIOS mode.

Clover on the other hand, is designed to work with UEFI mode. It can also work with BIOS mode, but the main feature of Clover is ability to work with/boot from UEFI motherboards without using BIOS/legacy mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI

So, if you want your nootebook to boot with Chameleon (or Chameleon based) boot loader, set it to boot in legacy mode (BIOS mode), or use Clover and switch to UEFI mode.

Thank you very much!

But I now after setting the partitioning scheme GUID in the BIOS does not see the SSD. After installing Clover, the BIOS will review the ssd? and on which partition to be installed?

One strange thing is that the BIOS can not access some important items, I do not understand why. (Attach photos)

post-909440-0-25063600-1374605578_thumb.jpg

I used MBR for the bootloader not GUID. Try it, it should show up given the bootloader is installed properly.

Tank you!! I solved the problem by modifying the installation of ML to install on MBR disks.