Laptops ready

3 posts in this topic

I've been wondering if there are any laptops that are out of the box ready for a Mac OSX install? (without them being Macs :whistle: )

Is there like some Acer, Asus, Toshiba, Samsung, Alienware/Dell build out there that will work by just a DSDT add-in or something? I'm not trying to shortcut the system that you guys have set forth, but as a way to save time and money on a pre-built system.

I have seen some places online that have managed to get older laptops to work with like Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Well all systems need at least FakeSMC so there goes "out of the box ready."  :hysterical: . As far as laptops, I'll go on record and say no because there's always something needed. For example, touchpads, at least all I've seen so far, need a modified kext. Power management needs a kext or BIOS mod and SSDT. Audio needs VoodooHDA or patched AppleHDA for the laptop's codec. That's still not everything, but you should get the idea. It's a hackintosh meaning it's not supposed to be an easy alternative to a Mac. However, you'll be happy to know that a properly patched DSDT is a great asset and eliminates many modifications that would be necessary otherwise. 

• Like 1

Hi, 

The Asus K52JE did a great job for me last year. I had everything working, but not without a DSDT, patched kexts etc...

Sadly this model is not available anymore.

In addition to the above, if you decide to buy a laptop to run OS X, do not buy a model with dual graphics, it will not work, so you will be forced to disable 1 card.